Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well it's now proven that I have the best wife ever! After seeing that my local shop (calgarycycle/calgarycycleonline) had a medium green podium in stock and on sale she bought it for me for my 30th birthday! I have wanted one since the first spy shots came out but since I just got my v-tach last year I couldn't really justify it to myself this year.

This thing is unreal. No real ride time yet as we just got back from a trip home and I finished building it this morning. All the parts from my v-tach moved over and the build weight came in at 39.6lbs with a steel spring. Should be able to knock a good but off by going ti on a 3" spring. Definitely a different feel from the vt as you sit much more in the bike as opposed to on it. Can't wait to open this thing up.

Anyone want a barely ridden v-tach frame with a pushed vivid?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Man - new Delirium, now a new Podium that you wife purchased - wow! I doubt my girlfriend will get the hint, but I will leave this open on the computer:)!!!

·
Delirious Tuck
2,471 Posts
Yummy. Interested to hear your thoughts on the podium vs. the tach on lift assit/DH. I've been running the tach for a year and change on the lifts and its a great bike, nimble, and reassuring in the air, but its not as fast as I think it could be.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thefriar said:
Yummy. Interested to hear your thoughts on the podium vs. the tach on lift assit/DH. I've been running the tach for a year and change on the lifts and its a great bike, nimble, and reassuring in the air, but its not as fast as I think it could be.
I can't wait either, although our forecast seems to be conspiring against me trying out the new rig. I really wasn't using the v-tach to it's intended purpose. I was running a single ring and only shuttling/lifting it. I did like the adjustable geometry and will miss it but the Podium just has too many positives for my use to not jump at the option. I loved the manoeverability of the v-tach and it felt gret on sketchy ill-advised drops but you could feel it's limits when going wide open through really rough stuff. The Podium also dropped 2 full lbs (and the vtach was runing a ti spring).

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Your going to love it, I Finally got my Podium dialed in pretty close to perfect this weekend. Real stable with speed, drops great and jumps pretty damn well.

·
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
3,837 Posts
I hope I'm next! I wanted the green one, but now I think I gotta be different, anyone posted up a blue yet? Anyone else want a slightly used V-tach....:)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NoahColorado said:
Anyone else want a slightly used V-tach....:)
No worries, mine's a medium...

I need to find some shorter cranks. Noel highly recomends 165's and after pedalling mine around with the 170's I see why. This thing is low!

·
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
3,837 Posts
Is it a 9.5" shock? 165's huh, good to know, I've run 175's on my V-tach all along...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
GaryM said:
No worries, mine's a medium...

I need to find some shorter cranks. Noel highly recomends 165's and after pedalling mine around with the 170's I see why. This thing is low!
Im running 170's and thats the next thing on my list to replace. I'll Probably go with some of the RF Atlas FR 165 cranks

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We spent yesterday shuttling Mt7 in Golden BC (famous for the Mt7 Psychosis race featured in seasons) and all I can say is wow. Knolly wasn't kidding when they said the podium is fast. It's unbelievable how much more speed you can carry through everything compared to the v-tach. I'm still getting used to the very different geometry and trusting the bike enough to really push it into the corners but already I think I've doubled my cornering speed. It is also shockingly good when you air into a rocky chute...as you land the rear just eats everything and you accelerate. It really caught me by surprise a couple times and I missed some corners because I was going so much faster than I ever have before.

I pretty much have all the trails on 7 memorized but I had to re-learn them yesterday as I was able to double over sections that I have never been able to clear before. I think it's a combination of carrying more speed and the Podium jumps so much better than the v-tach that you can air over anything. For such a long low bike I'm also amazed at how well it changes lines and direction. You just think about it and it will go.

I really didn't notice the increased wheelbase and it doesn't lack maneuverability at low speed at all. The low bb takes some getting used to and you just can't pedal some sections but it's worth it for how much better it is everywhere else. I found I had to pedal a lot less as I was carrying more exit speed and didn't have the need to sprint as hard out of corners to keep up with everyone.

The Hope V2's are just ridiculous as well. I have never had that level of control on the sustained steeps (the 64 degree head angle was helping there too I'm sure). I usually one finger brake whenever possible but with these things you just feather it with one finger on even the steepest stuff and there is no hint of fade. I'm not sure when you would ever need the vented rotors as my floating ones hardly got warm. They don't make noise and the feel never changes no matter how long the steep is.

Overall I'm incredibly impressed and very happy with the change from the v-tach for my use.

·
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
3,837 Posts
GaryM said:
Overall I'm incredibly impressed and very happy with the change from the v-tach for my use.
Darn you! Okay, I'm taking apart my V-tach and putting it up for sale tonight. I just rode it a few days ago and it was amazing, got me thinking I might just keep it...but now I'm back to plan Podium. :)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
NoahColorado said:
Darn you! Okay, I'm taking apart my V-tach and putting it up for sale tonight. I just rode it a few days ago and it was amazing, got me thinking I might just keep it...but now I'm back to plan Podium. :)
Sorry but if you want to go fast the podium is the way to go. The v-tach is great for a versatile freeride machine that you can pedal but if speed is the goal...there's just no denying the podium is the shiz.

I've never had a bike that generates the buzz of the podium either. Guys with 951's, v-10's and new glory's drooling over the podium was pretty interesting.

·
Perpetual Hack
2,188 Posts
...I think I need a lie down...

Bet yer insurance man liiikkes you!!!

michael

·
shh. don't tell the wife
354 Posts
Wow, very cool Gary and a belated Happy Birthday.

I hope CC gave your wife a good (non you know who) price :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts