Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Fast, like Squeeze Cheese
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UGI Help: New Burner Front End... Reba?

Gots some cake buring a hole in the pocket and I am going to use it for a new fork for the Burner. I have found a good deal on some Reba Team forks, and was hoping that the homers could help me decide between Dual Air or U-Turn. Anyone have experience? I know people have opinions, so bring em!!!

·
My cup runneth over
2,424 Posts
Opinion only....

dual air - I used u-turn on previous bikes all the time but the Burner is so well balanced I almost never use the ETA on my S (and it's significantly less trouble than the old u-turn).

·
mtbr platinum member
1,426 Posts
I have the U-Turn, and I usually leave it at 115mm. It wanders a tiny bit at that setting, but it totally redeems itself on the descents. I suppose I could drop it for the climbs, but it's not enough of an issue to mess around with the travel during the ride. You could get a dual air, set it to 115mm and mess around with increasing the negative pressure to sink it into its travel for 110mm or something.

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
100mm is definitely the sweet spot for the Burner IMO, and for rolling terrain (e.g. Slick Rock, Mary's, Horsethief Bench) that's where you want to set the fork. However, for long or technical climbs followed by big descents (Top of the World or Porc Rim), it's real nice to drop the front end to 85mm then open it up to 115mm for the ride home. The small weight penalty (.2lbs on an uncut fork) is well worth the gain in versatility.

·
Registered
128 Posts
U turn is good for me. But I also like the Pop-loc. Used to be a set and froget guy with the old Z1s but Im loven dialing in my ride.

If Im racing and its technical with not much fire road Ill have the Pop-loc on with the flood gate almost full open to dial in some "platform". If there are a few longish climbs or flat open sections Ill dial the floodgate in but only use the lockout on flats and climbs leaving it quite supple for everything else. In this setting its more hard/soft.

As far as travel goes I like all the settings- 85 for long climbs, 100mm for general riding and racing and 115 for jumps/drops.

A simply awesome fork with all the adjustments, plushness and stiffness I need. The perfect Burner fork.

·
Fast, like Squeeze Cheese
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is done!!

Got the Reba Team U-Turn for $325, and can't wait to put it on the Burner. I have a Fox Float 100RLT now that I am going to put on my SS. Can't wait to see how differently it rides than the Float. Thanks for the input!

·
\|/Home of the Braves\|/
1,926 Posts
Good call. There seem to be a bunch of us who are digging the Reba on the front of a Burner. Nice price too.
FWIW I have a Race U-Turn w/Poploc. I use the extra stuff (I got the PL due to a shop mistake) but could live without either. It's a nice fork! Do a search on it to get some setup tips, there are some good threads, especially on the 29er board - go soft to get it plush.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.