Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm crazy. in the past month, i have bought a Santa Cruz Chameleon, built up with a 06 Talas RLC, XO, Singletracks, etc... and that was supposed to be it. My one and only mountain bike, replacing a Giant VT. It was going to handle all the duties, including campus commuter (i go to boarding school. it's safe), trail bike and urban/street assaulter. It was being built up when I left for Christmas Break, and will be there at my LBS ready for my tomorrow when I get back.

Then, I saw a great deal on a 04 Hardrock SS, so I thought to myself.. hm, i could use that to ride to class, so I won't risk getting my blinged out Chameleon stolen. So I bought it earlier last week and it is being shipped to my school in NH as we speak.

THEN, today, I saw an amazing deal for a 04 Jekyll 800 in Sobe Team Replica colors, and so I jumped on it, sending out the money order to him tomorrow or tuesday. I think I might sell the Hardrock SS to someone at my school to pay for part of the Jekyll, and the Hardrock isn't even here yet!

NOW I have three mountain bikes, plus my super-duper blinged out 06 Six13 with Dura-ace, Ksyrium SLs and Zero Grav Ti Brakes.... The other thing is, it's the winter, and I doubt I will make it outside on my mountain bikes (other than to maybe ride to class if I'm late), or even have the time, because I will be spending most of my time indoors on my trainer on my six13, training for the Spring race season.

I'm sick. Someone help me. Anyone else addicted to buying bikes like me?

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
you are not alone, I assure you.

sounds like some 2006 resolutions are in order for you as well. the first one on my list (of non personal stuff) is to NOT buy any bikes in 2006. believe me, it is gonna be hard.

i do not even want to think of how much money i put into bikes this year and not to mention, 3 bikes i bought for my wife and 2 oldest kids though in fairness, that is chump change even combined compared to what I selfishly spent on myself.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Dang that's one heckuva after school job you have to afford that fleet...at this rate you'll have an impressive collection before you can even buy a drink.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This bike thing is addicting, for sure. I don't even have space in my room anymore. I have a two bike floor-to-ceiling rack in my room, but now since I have four bikes, I'm going to have to move my second couch out of the room, set the Six13 up with the trainer in its place, keep the Jekyll and the Chameleon on the rack, and banish the Hardrock SS to the bike garage in the basement. Lots of shifting around to do....

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Oh yeah I almost got married last year but some how things did not work out at the end, so i when on a rampage and I spend all the Money I save (for the wedding, the house,, etc) into 7 bikes and not "exactlly cheap ones" that is for sure, Hope Ti-6 brakes, Ti rail seats, thomson stems and seat post, avalanche shocks, king headsets and hubs and some other crazy crap or like the owner of "Action-tech" just to say "Expensive Light weight S^^T"...

today I have 14 running bikes and a few projects in the Oven..

for sure I was felling a little "Funny" and i need to be around something that did not flake on my and bring me imidiate pleasure...

kind of sad if you ask me but for sure the truth..

·
Registered
39 Posts
I feel your pain....

Back in 99/2000, I bought within a few months a Stumpjumper M2 Comp (black) thinking this is cool and then an Avalanche (yellow/gunmetal grey)...again, thinking this is cool color and.....damn you mtbr.com and your reviews.

Now again...damn you mtbr.com and your reviews.....bought a FXR 2.1 and seriously looking into a Blitz....

There goes my savings....any sweet ladies wanna be with me now???? :D

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
I also feel your pain.. as a fellow student, i know how funds can be tight (my parents help me out if i wear out important parts or for my race fees, what more could i ask for?). Recently, i decided i NEEDED a road bike.. but was short on cash, so i took a loan out from my dad (it was a Cannondale R500 on sale, so pretty low end stuff). Before i could pay that loan off, i found out my MTB was too big for me, so i came accross an awesome deal on a NRS air frame (realyl really awesome deal!), so i bought that...

Then i kept finding things that i 'needed'..

Basically, i'm so weak, that even though i'm in debt, that didn't stop me going on ebay and buying a much needed seat and a double crankset for my roadie (Truvative Rouleur carbon and Selle Italia SLR gel flow).

Don't worry.. alot of us are in your position.. spending more then we earn:)

I hope that Six13 sees more then just a trainer.. too nice of a bike to be left on the trainer:)

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
synkronized23 said:
sorry to hear that, but wow. 14 bikes? mind giving us a rundown on what they are? =)
Oh man here we Go....

In the order I got them..

Giant DH..

Balfa 2-Step FR (I sold after 3 months to buy the same bike in a Larger model) This on those not count on the 14 bikes..

Nicolai M-pire

Azonic saber.

sorry no picture of the build bike, but is really Fun

real Bontrager Racelight (not a trek)

Ibis Cousing It Mountain tandem.

Two pictures since is a Double Bike (but only counts as one.)

Balfa 2-Step Size large that i still have..

Santa cruz chameleon. will my Riding patner Brett and her elsword.

and the last One I got last Friday...
Balfa HD.

I think that is it, for the news bikes,,,

the rest are some old and wonderful Klein single speeds (I have 3 of them with kind of similar set ups.)

a Mt tam Fisher (trek) that works prety well.

Two old diamond back and Apex that ride really nice and this aluminum thing.

a nice Vintage steel stumpjumper,, i think that is it...

Oh a Alpinesters All mega i'm building.

plus this i buy but i did not keep...
a soul cycles Titan i really like but end up being far to short for my long legs.

a James Exile,

gps hardtail

Man I'm about to Cry,,, I quess I'm a little Lonelly this days with way to myuch time on my hands.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
bike_freak said:
umm... wow! I think your collection/fetish/addiction beats us all:p
Well if you ever come around berkeley at least you have a Bike to ride..

I'm interested in your bikerack, is it custom? Does it work well? Lots of wind resistance?
Yes the rack is totally hand made out of old Bicycle parts,
Here is a Link to a Bunch of pictures. the wind is not really a issue as much as the mass centralization at the back that make the bike really prone to wheelie...

I have about 120,000 milles riding with bikes (the bike is 220,000 milles old) from Alaska, wistler British columbia to the baja peninsula In Mejico with out any mayor problems ...

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,916 Posts
Let's see, at present the built bikes include...

- Al hardtail
- Ti hardtail x 2
- Steel hardtail x 2
- Al full suspension x 3
- Al/Steel full suspension x 1

So yeah, 9 complete bikes right now all ready to ride including a singlespeed (fs) and 8/16/21/24/27 speed bikes,.

The frames to be built include...
- Steel hardtail x 3
- Al hardtail x 1

So that's 4 more projects to build up...eventually, one of which will be a hardtail singlespeed to complement my full suspension one I already have. I lack a tandem frame though and I would like to have one eventually.

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
patineto said:
Well if you ever come around berkeley at least you have a Bike to ride..

Yes the rack is totally hand made out of old Bicycle parts,
Here is a Link to a Bunch of pictures. the wind is not really a issue as much as the mass centralization at the back that make the bike really prone to wheelie...

I have about 120,000 milles riding with bikes (the bike is 220,000 milles old) from Alaska, wistler British columbia to the baja peninsula In Mejico with out any mayor problems ...
Very very cool, not that I ride a moto, but still, very nice stuff!:) Any idea if something like this is in production (motor bike rack)?

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
bike_freak said:
Very very cool, not that I ride a moto, but still, very nice stuff!:) Any idea if something like this is in production (motor bike rack)?
You Know I spend about two years of My life trying to figure out a ways to make it into a feasible product, but the bike diferences were far to many, the market way to small (i can deal with all that somehow) but then one day a "Bucket of cold water" came to me in the form of the "American way of suing for everything" and the cost of the Liavility insurance became a obstable impossible to jump so I avandon the project,
Here are a Bunch of Drawings that i keep "Secret" for a long long time in seach of Patent protection, today they are open to the public to benefit from my pasionate work...
for example one idea in the very early stages.ussing Modular elements (same lenght rods to simplified production) to generate triangular structures with a multiporpuse .

diferent attachemtn point will make them compatible with the diferent types of bikes.

soft saddle bag dutty,so you can still carry loads when you are going on trips but carry the bicycle if need to too.

Even to the point of detaching the racks and ussing the bycicle wheels to make a walking "trailer" or even a tow trailer if you have a spare bicycle to pull it (my sistems will let you carry two bikes.)

all this was totally Feasible (I tend to be very pragmatic in my designs) and I made a bunch of prototypes for testing over the years..

here is one of them in the flesh. being used on my KTM 640 ADventure.

I think is better if i stop now so the original "North" of this tread does not get contaminated, maybe i can start a whole tread if is sufficient interest.

Ricardo

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
synkronized23 said:
i'm crazy. in the past month, i have bought a Santa Cruz Chameleon,
Then, I saw a great deal on a 04 Hardrock SS, So I bought it earlier last week and it is being shipped to my school in NH as we speak.
THEN, today, I saw an amazing deal for a 04 Jekyll 800 in Sobe Team Replica colors, and so I jumped on it, !
I'm sick. Someone help me. Anyone else addicted to buying bikes like me?
I think you've at least identified the problem accurately: you're not addicted to the bikes, you're addicted to buying them. The thrill of the "deal." The anticipation of the UPS truck. The belief that "this one will be my last," even while you're making secret plans for the one after and the one after that.

I went through a very similar cycle a few years ago with guitars. Finding great deals, selling one to finance the next... it got to be ridiculous; once I bought and sold four guitars in a single month! Finally, I got wise, sold everything but the two guitars and one amp that REALLY did the job, and quit cold turkey. It feels great now -- very cleansing-- but at first there was something missing; I was addicted to the rush and it was over... what would I do next? I decided that I had been dealng in guitars more than playing them, just as it seems that you're trading bikes more than riding them. Just for grins, try getting rid of everything except two; allow yourself that much luxury -- figure out which are the two (one mountain and one road) that you really can't see living without. Then, every time you get the urge to surf the web for good deals, go for a ride instead. And cancel your magazine and catalogue subscriptions. They feed the need.

Want to really give yourself the challenge? Sell ALL of your bikes, and then build up the one do-all bike. It will give you lots to think about, and you might just end up with the perfect solution.

·
Registered
202 Posts
patineto said:
Oh yeah I almost got married last year but some how things did not work out at the end, so i when on a rampage and I spend all the Money I save (for the wedding, the house,, etc) into 7 bikes and not "exactlly cheap ones" that is for sure, Hope Ti-6 brakes, Ti rail seats, thomson stems and seat post, avalanche shocks, king headsets and hubs and some other crazy crap or like the owner of "Action-tech" just to say "Expensive Light weight S^^T"...

today I have 14 running bikes and a few projects in the Oven..

for sure I was felling a little "Funny" and i need to be around something that did not flake on my and bring me imidiate pleasure...

kind of sad if you ask me but for sure the truth..
Can never have enough,I got a 04 VT,an 06 Reign 2,a 99 Ibis Mojo HT,Eddie Merckx Team SC,Cannondale 1000 beater bike,a Klien Quantum,a nameless steel fixed gear,Giant Sedona with baby seat and a Miami Tricycle for impaired pedaling from late night neighborhood parties. ? Is this the type of fork you were looking for?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 68 Posts