Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant find many reviews on the ufo rims but they look great. Who has been using them for a while and what are your thoughts? I am just under 170lbs and dont know if I am on the heavy side for the UFOs or what. This is not a racing wheelset, but I want it to be lighter than my current 2000g+ wheelset. I know the mavics are good rims, but the suns are cheaper and in many cases lighter. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have no experience with the UFO's but I do know that they are very narrow... like below 21mm. You might want to wait 'till June for the new Sun's to come out. They're called Lime Lights and should come in around 345-350gr and 22mm wide. In case you're wondering, Dave Thomas from SpeedDream mentioned to me that Sun would be introducing a new light weight XC rim but didn't have much info on them... This led me to calling Sun and the above info is what they told me.

:D

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cant wait till june! Need to finish these wheels soon. And the limelites are non-elyeted so I think Ill stick with the UFOs if anything. Will the width<21mm really matter? How wide is the mavic?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Mantra,
Just curious... How do you know that the Limelights are non-eyeleted? I haven't seen any info on them yet... You got more info? As far as the width is concerned, i'm not sure! I just figured the narrower the rim the less likely it is to be as durable as a wider rim. Have you looked into the Bontrager Valiant? Light and has an excellent track record.

Good luck!

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jakeplazma said:
Mantra,
Just curious... How do you know that the Limelights are non-eyeleted? I haven't seen any info on them yet... You got more info? As far as the width is concerned, i'm not sure! I just figured the narrower the rim the less likely it is to be as durable as a wider rim. Have you looked into the Bontrager Valiant? Light and has an excellent track record.

Good luck!
I read it somewhere on WW's. Its claimed 330g scandium rim available in 24/28/32h and 21.5mm wide. I do remember reading abouta 350g+ eyleted version. Knowing sun/ringle, the price will be outrageous. $700 for the flea hubs. $130 for the skewers. If the thread could steer back to the UFO rims that would be great :p .

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I aked a friend of mine the same question a little while ago. He's reply was basically that the Mavic's are higher quality. When built into wheels, both work fine, but the Mavic hoops are rounder and straighter out of the box. He told me the that on the wheelset he built with UFO hoops, he had a hell of a time getting it all true and the spoke tension right, and even then he could never get them really true. All the wheelsets he's built with Mavic rims fell together, came out truer, and was much easier to get the spoke tension right.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Using UFO's

I built up two set of wheels using the UFO's. No problem truing the wheels. Have over 600 miles on one set and they still are straight. The rims are narrow with <21mm, but I am running 2.25 trailbears and only had one pinch flat. I was running the tires between 25 to 30 lbs of pressure and hit the rear into a curb.

·
Registered
375 Posts
According to posts here and WW UFOs seem to have a large variation in weight from ~370g to ~420g. According to factory specs there is not a lot of difference in terms of actual rim width (ie the inside edge to inside edge of the rim channel) between UFOs, 717 Disc and DT 4.1.

I am in the market for some light weight 28H disk rims and was contemplating the UFO also but the large variation in weight means that I might as well use DT4.1 which has a better reputation as a rim.

·
Start slow and taper off
790 Posts
Just built a set for myself

They built up straight and true no problem. In the past I've always felt Mavics built up nicer but I must say these were the best Sun rims I've built, easily on a par with Mavics.

I've only got about 6 rides of 10 to 15 plus miles, but they're on my rigid front end, softail (about an inch) rear Dekerf, and I weigh 210 on a light day(okay, 215), and I'm running 2.0's or the occasional 1.9. Most of the rides have been rocky singletrack, where I'd normally ride my fs, but with the (relatively) new wheels and new fork, I've been riding this bike.

After checking the wheels the other day they're still straight and true. And they were decently (significantly :D ) cheaper than the Mavics, and claimed lighter. I never weighed them, but my wallet thanked me!

I will say that despite my current girth, I've always been easy on my wheels.

Get the Suns, I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The aluminum alloy used in the UFO is softer than anything Mavic uses, and is day and night from MAXTAL. My girlfriend weighting less than 50 kg (110 lbs) managed to destroy the rear wheel in less than 1000 km. Snakebite flats dent the rim sidewall since it's so soft and thin. Braking is much less powerful with the same pad as with Mavics. Actually lacing the wheel is no different, but I had to true my girlfrind's wheels after every third-forth ride. Maybe you weight less than her, or you are more careful on the rocky descents...

I can get Sun rims free, still I pay for Mavic...

-b

·
MaLóŒ¢*size=
817 Posts
i prefer sun ufo. i have used mavic 117, 217, 517 and 717. now i´m using sun ufo. the price is the same, the ufo are lighter and the quality is exactly the same or maybe a bit better for the ufo (the 717 disc finish is not so good). it´s a bit more narrow than the mavic, maybe that´s the weight advance but you won´t notice that unless you use freeride tires.

·
Registered
601 Posts
My 28h UFOs came overweight at about 420 g.

The most notable thing about my UFO rims was having to rebuild the rear wheel 3 times, twice by me and once by a shop mechanic. Each time I just could not get the bloody thing to be perfectly straight. In the end I just got the tension as even as I could and rim as true as possible and been riding them for about 5 months now. So far so good on the trails, but my relationship with UFOs has been rocky.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.