Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a word of caution when parking along HWY 9 to ride these areas. My buddy's car was broken into in the "big" lot this past Friday. Leave nothing of value in your cars.

They only ended up getting a niterider setup and some inexpensive bike tools and clothes, fortunately....but it seems like some bastid is targeting MTB parking areas, as this is one of several times I've heard about this along the HWY 9 lots, and also up at Demo. :mad:

·
I am lost, I'm no guide
1,145 Posts
Along highway 9???

Wherewolf said:
Pay the Park fee. It's a lot cheaper in the long run and should give you peace of mind while out riding.
whatchoo talking bout willis???

I guess you could park at Cowell's, although that's way out of the way, so if your'e going to do that, you might as well park at Bell/Costco and ride up 9?

My truck was victim to valdalism a few months ago as well along 9. Some kind soul slashed both my passenger side tires. That really made my day.

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
i think he means

gobike said:
whatchoo talking bout willis???

I guess you could park at Cowell's, although that's way out of the way, so if your'e going to do that, you might as well park at Bell/Costco and ride up 9?

My truck was victim to valdalism a few months ago as well along 9. Some kind soul slashed both my passenger side tires. That really made my day.
the state ran lot on PCH.

·
I am lost, I'm no guide
1,145 Posts
That makes more sense

but if you are going to run loops at UCSC, parking in Wilder's lot is going to be inconvenient and out of the way.

If you are going to ride Wilder, than I agree w/ Steve 100%. In fact, it makes a lot of sense for us NorCal's to invest in a state parks pass, because w/ Wilder, Annadel, China Camp, Coe, etc... being state parks, you'll be saving many rupees in the long run.

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Oops

I read too quickly. I always started from the State Park. But I notice lots of cars parked outside the park along Hwy 1. This breaking into cars of mt. bikers is spreading. Happened a lot at Salmon Falls. And the last time I did a night ride at New Melones some people came by and said it had happened there. I never leave valuables in my truck while out riding.

·
I am lost, I'm no guide
1,145 Posts
Agreed.

I like to ride early in the am, and parking in an isolated parking lot kind of sucks. Wilder is my quick local ride, but they usually don't open the gate until 8am, so I am forced to park on highway 1. Anyone that's parked there early am on a weekend knows about the groups of lovely pond scum who camp in their motorhomes next to where i park. I don't carry much in my truck either, but w/ the tinted windows, I can imagine it makes it more appealing to the thief, wondering what's in the rig that they can't see.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I've parked along 1 at least 30 times without incident, but things have changed the past 10 years. Try 2 miles south around the Upper Crust pizza joint. Quickie road ride to Wilder from there. Is the trail going up the creek still closed to all foot and bike traffic. I used to ride Wilder back when this trail was open, then was closed to downhill traffic, then closed for good. Sucks....

·
I am lost, I'm no guide
1,145 Posts
Wow!

Ebo said:
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I've parked along 1 at least 30 times without incident, but things have changed the past 10 years. Try 2 miles south around the Upper Crust pizza joint. Quickie road ride to Wilder from there. Is the trail going up the creek still closed to all foot and bike traffic. I used to ride Wilder back when this trail was open, then was closed to downhill traffic, then closed for good. Sucks....
No, the trail you speak of (Wagonwheel) has been closed for sometime now. It was a blast when it was open. If I remember correctly, the trail was threatening some animal/reptile in/near the creek (maybe I"m wrong on that). Good memories of that trail though.

There used to be some sweet singletrack along highway 1 from swift st. to the tunnel, but the state came in, bulldozed, and paved it. Now it's completely sanitized and BORING. For what its worth, I've parking on 1 hundreds of times and never had an issue w/ my truck, despite the shady looking people around there. I wish I could say the same about parking on highway 9 though...

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I think they are trying to protect a Salamander or something. I used to run some loops up top, take the Enchanted Forest down and back out, then cross through the meadow and eventually, take a mad dash down Wagonwheel and back to the car or where I was working at the time. One more question since I haven't been there for quite a while. After doing the Old Cabin trail?, and then climbing towards the top, you used to be able to take a quick right and drop into a small canyon with several creeks crossings. This also ended up being a way into the adjoining new open space. Gray Whale or something. Is this still open. Thanks gobike. P.s. I remember the singletrack that was bulldozed too. They should have left it alone.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Read up on the spot

wXman said:
Just a word of caution when parking along HWY 9 to ride these areas. My buddy's car was broken into in the "big" lot this past Friday. Leave nothing of value in your cars.
Hey, check it out. I've always been a big advocate of buying the annual pass and flying it proudly as I park in the patrolled lots.

But this incident was near the big free lot on 9 between Felton and Santa Cruz. Likewise when "gobike" got his tires slashed, it was in a turnout on 9.

·
I am lost, I'm no guide
1,145 Posts
Closed!

Ebo said:
One more question since I haven't been there for quite a while. After doing the Old Cabin trail?, and then climbing towards the top, you used to be able to take a quick right and drop into a small canyon with several creeks crossings. This also ended up being a way into the adjoining new open space. Gray Whale or something. Is this still open. Thanks gobike. P.s. I remember the singletrack that was bulldozed too. They should have left it alone.
I know the trail you speak of. We called it "chameleon" (after my bike that first rode it). There's trail closed signs posted at both the top and bottom entrances. It took you into Grey Whale. I haven't rode it in years (since the signs went up).

·
Groveland Trail Heads
1,897 Posts
I am fortunate

enough to live right by hwy. 1 & hwy. 9. I do not have to drive to the trails. Occasionally I will drive to meet a friend at Henry Cowell to start our ride. I actually pay the $6.00 parking fee.

If anyone needs a free place to park when riding up to UCSC contact me. My street isn't the safest but I have a long driveway and haven't had any issues with my truck and neither has my neighbor. When I ride UCSC with others we usually meet at my house and leave from there. We ride the railroad tracks instead of hwy. 9 to UConn. It is a good warm up.

Sorry to hear about the break in :mad:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
no.....

Actually.....I meant the big pull out lot on HWY 9 about a mile or two below the entrance to Henry Cowell Redwoods. This has been going on there intermittently for some time now.

I've surfed the SC area for years and all the lots along HWY 1 you guys are talking about have been trouble for me and my buds for years. I've been broken into in ALL of them, as well as up at 3 and 4mi, Scotts, Ano (before the lots used to be there) and Franklin Pt. H3ll, one time I was up at Franklin surfing with a bud and they stole a WHEEL off his car?!?!? Apparently the scurvy dogs had encountered a flat...and didn't have a spare. Only problem is the flockers didn't check for compatibility.....my buddy's wheel was a four bolt pattern....theirs was a five - idiots! We found the wheel a couple miles down the road in a ditch... :rolleyes:

Bottom line...your car is fair game no matter where you park...leave nothing of value in it, and if feasible, it is an excellent idea to park in a paid/patrolled lot.

·
Ride on
639 Posts
Sucks to hear about 9

There aren't any convenient state park lots on 9 in that area - that I know of anyway. I can ride to both Wilder and U-Conn, but I'd rather save my energy and tires for singletrack.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
gunfodder said:
There aren't any convenient state park lots on 9 in that area - that I know of anyway. I can ride to both Wilder and U-Conn, but I'd rather save my energy and tires for singletrack.
That does suck. You can park in Henry Cowell. It's only a couple of miles from Pogonip down the train tracks. I know it's not what you want to hear, but until the slimewads are gone from the area (probably never), there's really no choice other than to take your chances.

The Park Rangers do what they can, but they're under-funded and under-manned.

·
Ariolimax columbianus
1,635 Posts
pitbull=security

I think it may be a good time to invest in a pitbull to sit in your car so no one screws with it. I think about leaving my dog in the car at some sketchy parking spots, but she isn't always with me. Is that the Rincon parking lot your talking about? If it is, that sucks cause sometimes when I ride past there I usually see the ranger or fish/game person. Sounds like river rats/train track hobos. Unfortunately the river and train tracks provide an excellent getaway for thiefs especially on bikes or foot, for the most part you wouldn't even know if they were in the bushes scopin out your vehicle while you were gettin ready. Whoa I sound paranoid, reading stuff like this makes me paranoid. Looks like the dog's gonna be in my car if I go to Demo, I hate parking on Hwy 9. Why not park in the Cost Plus supermega-lot, up on campus, or at SCHeckler's and ride up the tracks instead? I hate thieves and unfortunately it seems that in SC it's a reality that stuff get's broken into.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
nativeson said:
I think it may be a good time to invest in a pitbull to sit in your car so no one screws with it. I think about leaving my dog in the car at some sketchy parking spots, but she isn't always with me. Is that the Rincon parking lot your talking about? If it is, that sucks cause sometimes when I ride past there I usually see the ranger or fish/game person. Sounds like river rats/train track hobos. Unfortunately the river and train tracks provide an excellent getaway for thiefs especially on bikes or foot, for the most part you wouldn't even know if they were in the bushes scopin out your vehicle while you were gettin ready. Whoa I sound paranoid, reading stuff like this makes me paranoid. Looks like the dog's gonna be in my car if I go to Demo, I hate parking on Hwy 9. Why not park in the Cost Plus supermega-lot, up on campus, or at SCHeckler's and ride up the tracks instead? I hate thieves and unfortunately it seems that in SC it's a reality that stuff get's broken into.
A pitbull's too good for that slime. It might get sick eating crap. Besides, you can't / shouldn't leave the dog in your car on warm or hot days. It's a shame we even have to think about this crap.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yah, don't leave the friggin' dog in your car....kill the poor thing, or at least make his brain mushy.

All good ideas about parking in more "visible" lots (btw it is the Rincon lot I think), and if it was just me riding, that's what I'd do. But, try telling my 14 and 16yr old kids that we're gonna add 2+ miles of huffing their 42# rigs around....they would be un-interested and not care for biking as much....I'll take my chances with nothing in the car.

Hell, maybe the rat bastids will do me a favor and steal the whole [email protected] car so I can get a new one :D Kidding! I'm Kidding!! :p

Blue Shorts said:
A pitbull's too good for that slime. It might get sick eating crap. Besides, you can't / shouldn't leave the dog in your car on warm or hot days. It's a shame we even have to think about this crap.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
wXman said:
Yah, don't leave the friggin' dog in your car....kill the poor thing, or at least make his brain mushy.

All good ideas about parking in more "visible" lots (btw it is the Rincon lot I think), and if it was just me riding, that's what I'd do. But, try telling my 14 and 16yr old kids that we're gonna add 2+ miles of huffing their 42# rigs around....they would be un-interested and not care for biking as much....I'll take my chances with nothing in the car.

Hell, maybe the rat bastids will do me a favor and steal the whole [email protected] car so I can get a new one :D Kidding! I'm Kidding!! :p
Don't forget to leave the keys in the car. You'll have a much greater chance for success. :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.