Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
No different than a moto cross race, except less power
well there is the 200 lb difference in machine and big difference in power. A KTM 250 puts out 38HP = 28,500 watts, for eg. Literally 100x as much as an ebike nominal power.

which makes it no different than a mountain bike race, except a little bit more power (tack on a few hundred watts, though within the variability of riders' power abilities) and a little bit more weight (typical ebike weighs 12lbs more than my trail bike)

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
which makes it no different than a mountain bike race, except a little bit more power (tack on a few hundred watts) and a little bit more weight (typical ebike weighs 12lbs more than my trail bike)

except Bosch (or whatever) wins one race while Shurter (or whoever) wins the other.

·
Registered
253 Posts
not saying I am a fan of the ebike race idea. The racing is not important to most MTBers, including me for 24 years now, since i quit racing (and I used to be a race organizer for 5 years)

And they could just go to spec-racing, ideally. everyone on the exact same ride. Maybe limited to 5WH and 150 watts, lol. Would make no sense to have one guy with 250 watts and another guy with 300watts, or any difference in power curve and engagement

·
2,886 Posts
Since non of the motors are certified by an outside organization, or tested to any standards, or systems not easily modified, pretending you can hold a fair contest is a joke.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
My guess is that they won't even bother checking power output. They will just have weight classes for the bikes or batteries or both, and design the courses such that having a motor able to put out huge power would drain the battery too fast. It would be a tortoise and hare situation. A rider could get way ahead, but then when the battery died, they'd have to see if they could hold on with only human power. I'm also guessing here that the rules will not allow batteries to be removed or swapped at any point.

This will be interesting, for sure.

Hmmm. There have been a couple of instances of racers cheating by having hidden motors. I wonder if racers will cheat by *not* having a motor. I can think of courses where an eBike would slow you down rather than make you faster.

·
10,000,000 Watts
2,862 Posts
More and more big emtb races. Makes you wonder what the future is going to be like.. I’m guessing more and more emtb sales and acceptance.

·
Registered
474 Posts
UCI cannot even get the cheaters that it has now. PED's or hidden motors. How in the hell is it going to catch people technology cheating?

·
Registered
253 Posts
maybe it really doesn't matter because eMTB racing will never be much more than a 'fun to participate' event, I imagine. Making it some kind of serious event is laughable imho. It's more like a fondo or 24 hr event, an excuse to go riding hard and drinking beers on the sidelines. Already there is some eMTB racing going, and the participants enjoy it, so why knock it till you've tried it?

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
The Boogaloo (might have spelled that wrong) races are basically short tracks with jumps - a bit like BMX, a bit like MX, not really much like what most of us would call "mountain biking". It will be interesting to see if that's the format they decide on, or if it will be something more traditional (ie, long loops/point to point on singletrack).

It is obviously nigh-impossible to control motor settings/batteries/etc, so my assumption is that they won't really try too hard on that front. I guess you could do an IROC style thing with everyone on the same bike, but that format wouldn't make the manufacturers very happy.

-Walt

·
Not a role model
1,312 Posts
I want to see these courses seriously challenge what these bikes can do.

No recycling enduro, DH, and XC routes, I want to see something that has people ready to get off and push/carry. Preferably where the trail is respected...

·
Registered
657 Posts
What if the race began with fully discharged batteries and competitors had to pedal a stationary bike with a generator attached? It would be up to the racer to decide how much assistance to use and when to use it and how much energy to put into the battery. It would bring an element of strategy into the affair as racers had to decide when to leave the charging area and enter the course and then ration their battery as they raced the course. They would also begin the course fatigued from the charging portion and the entire race would be human powered.

The first stage of such a race would be like a spin class with all the racers side by side pedaling away with a big bar graph above them showing how much they have put into the battery. They could have a set minimum charge level that all racers would have to reach before entering the course and “race” to that level before departing the charging area to enter the course.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
maybe it really doesn't matter because eMTB racing will never be much more than a 'fun to participate' event, I imagine. Making it some kind of serious event is laughable imho. It's more like a fondo or 24 hr event, an excuse to go riding hard and drinking beers on the sidelines. Already there is some eMTB racing going, and the participants enjoy it, so why knock it till you've tried it?
Do you have any idea what the UCI is?

I didn't think so.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
With few places to ride I wouldn't bet on it.
UCI = Union Cycliste Internationale, the *world* governing body for competitive cycling.

You can ride almost everywhere on an ebike outside of North America. eMTB racing is going to be huge, and I will not be surprised to see eRoad races as well.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts