Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
896 Posts
Adapt or be miserable, my friend.

I don't feel very strongly about this in either direction, so I'll take on the riders' opinions of wanting to wait and see how it goes. I'm not a racer at all, but do enjoy watching/following the pros and pro-level racing. I guess the UCI could ban aero bars, or add some regulations, or something. But if they start to push too hard in the wrong direction then I imagine the established a-list races will pull out and just continue doing their own thing as they've been doing all along. Perhaps the UCI Worlds will simply be another race that awards a striped jersey to the champ?

If adding the UCI to the fold will bring more exposure to a new type of cycling then great. If this means the super hard-working riders can earn a bit more money or recognition then great. If this means I can watch the races on TV then great. I don't know what these sorts of 'perks' will cost, but I'm willing to wait and see how this goes.

· Wanna ride bikes?
12,540 Posts
Nothing good will come out of the UCI's involvement in gravel racing. All it will do is add complexity, stupid rules, and more expensive registration fees.

The UCI is the reason I avoid certain cyclocross events. Too expensive. I don't have a license (I'm not a roadie), I'm there for fun and good times with friends (and to race hard). The non-sanctioned races are way more fun, less expensive, longer, and don't have to abide by the UCI rules. All positive and welcome aspects.

I'm with the OP, stay away!

· Registered
7,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Adapt or be miserable, my friend.

I don't feel very strongly about this in either direction, so I'll take on the riders' opinions of wanting to wait and see how it goes. I'm not a racer at all, but do enjoy watching/following the pros and pro-level racing. I guess the UCI could ban aero bars, or add some regulations, or something. But if they start to push too hard in the wrong direction then I imagine the established a-list races will pull out and just continue doing their own thing as they've been doing all along. Perhaps the UCI Worlds will simply be another race that awards a striped jersey to the champ?

If adding the UCI to the fold will bring more exposure to a new type of cycling then great. If this means the super hard-working riders can earn a bit more money or recognition then great. If this means I can watch the races on TV then great. I don't know what these sorts of 'perks' will cost, but I'm willing to wait and see how this goes.
Touche! They have a tendency to take the fun out of events, and in the meantime, raise the cost of participation.

A big draw to gravel is the lack of sanctioned oversight by a cycling body.

Nah, stay away please.

· Registered
7,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nothing good will come out of the UCI's involvement in gravel racing. All it will do is add complexity, stupid rules, and more expensive registration fees.

The UCI is the reason I avoid certain cyclocross events. Too expensive. I don't have a license (I'm not a roadie), I'm there for fun and good times with friends (and to race hard). The non-sanctioned races are way more fun, less expensive, longer, and don't have to abide by the UCI rules. All positive and welcome aspects.

I'm with the OP, stay away!
I avoid the sanctioned races because of the licensing nonsense. Like you said, even to enter a 40 minutes CX race unlicensed is about 50-60$.

I think the last time I had a NORBA license was 2001 or maybe even earlier.

· Registered
896 Posts
On a more serious note, I agree that more regulations plus a higher entry fee would make racing less desirable. I hope that the races that become UCI sanctioned will consider this when deciding whether to join. Maybe some of the smaller races simply won't care about the UCI and keep doing their own thing?

· Registered
1,012 Posts
Y'all knew this would happen when pros started showing up for races. Personally, I say screw em, keep all that stuff out of gravel racing, including teams and pro racers. They have enough places to play. This exemplifies everything that the spirit of gravel isn't about.
How about the decent guys who are pros continue to play by our "rules" and the UCI can go pound sand. I have no issue with "pros" racing and riding with us. I do have an issue with some International governing body deciding to steal our sport and tell us how to play the game. Oh... in the name of "Cycling for All", cuz they've had such a tremendous track record of including everyone and not catering to teams and riders with money and influence....

When I used to road race motorcycles, pros would occasionally show up at our club races when there was going to be a National at our track soon for practice. They would pull off on the last lap and let us run our club race with no interference. That was class. Hoping that someone makes the right choice here.... for the sport. For the rest of us.

And if not, I have tons of gravel that I will go ride, with my best friends...

· Registered
377 Posts
I think UCI sees themselves as the 800lbs gorilla and have decided to muscle their way into the sport not for the good of the sport, but for the income source and something else that they need to control. The UCI has a way of banning the fun right out of the sport. The big appeal of gravel is the fun. I'm fearful that the UCI will start by ruling the fun, innovation and joy out of the sport. I wish the UCI would have stayed out of gravel, but now that the are in it, I hope gravel is the becomes WRC Group B.

· Registered
2,005 Posts
I'm pretty sure if UCI gets a foothold in gravel racing, they will want to impose all sorts of regulations on equipment, much like what they did for tire size in CX racing. With all the fun innovations in wheel/tire, frame and handlebar configurations going on, I see them as the opposite of what's good about gravel.

· Registered
1,424 Posts
I don’t gravel race, so maybe I’m missing something here…

Everyone is pissed at the UCI for getting into gravel, and with all the rules and fees I understand why. However as the best armchair quarterback ever, isn’t it up the the race promoters to keep the UCI out of the races? Or does the UCI have a way to force their rules onto non UCI events? It seems to me like the focus should be on getting race promoters and racers together not to support support the UCI.

· Registered
1,012 Posts
Or does the UCI have a way to force their rules onto non UCI events?
NORBA, USAC and UCI have historically prohibited their members from competing in non-sanctioned events. Those events then cannot draw talent, which means sponsors, which means money. Events are expensive to put on (at least to draw the talent etc. - chicken/egg) and then those events die.

I personally would be happy with large, informal, semi-supported group rides with friends. I'm never going to podium. I really don't care where I finish. No sponsor will ever look at me. I, like a lot of others that ride gravel just want to have fun, see beauty that is relatively difficult to get to otherwise and not share the road with cars. I have no use for this sanctioning nonsense.

· Registered
405 Posts
I'm not sure about this - the UCI tend to over regulate series, and all the fun goes.
I hoped, that if there was a World Championship for Gravel, it would be a season long competition, like in motorsport - but no, they've decided to follow all the other disciplines. (apart from EWS)
I personally, think a gravel series should be a mix of events; one day, 2- 3 day stage races, and even an Enduro style special stage event. My one issue with the current scene, is it's more or less like a road race; those pushing the most watts will likely win - I'd prefer to see some technical aspects that reward skills of a rider.

I'm also slightly disappointed that Golazo have been appointed to run the new series. Why them? Why not one of the organisers of the big events in the US?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.