Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally managed to get hold of an X-Firm for my Pikes but it's turned up with a bent slider tube thingy, so my question is:

I have a spare medium spring with a perfect slider. Can I pull it out somehow and swap it with this one? (can't see what holds the white plastic bit into the spring) There appears to be a grub screw inside the plastic holding the pushrod in - can I remove this?

Cheers :madman:

Attachments

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Without removing the rod, hammering the bent rod straight may be the easiest option. Not much to loose by trying, eh? The bend doesn't look bad enough to fatigue from re-straightening. Leave the bolt in the bottom end to protect the tread and wrap the bottom of the rod area to avoid scaring. Scaring up the middle of the soft aluminum rod would be OK if not severe, the middle of the rod touches nothing inside.

Looking at one of my spare spring assemblies, the plastic screw appears to be secured to the rod by a pressed in pin. Maybe that could be punched out and rods replaced and the pin pressed back in.

And it appears you could unscrew the lowers rod assembly from the coils and swap the straight one in. Looking at my spare springs it appears they are limited in u-tune range by tighter coil winds, so it could take some effort with some larger pliers.

·
aka dan51
6,022 Posts
I think it's possible. They got it in there, so its got to come out.
I've never figured out what prevents the white screw from being able to come out the bottom. But I haven't looked at it too closely. If the springs get wound tighter, then you should be able to stretch it and unscrew it.

It might be best to put that thing in a vise and try to straighten it.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
IIRC the rod is held into the white 'nut' with a roll pin. Easiest would be so simple tap the pin out with an appropriate punch and swap the rods. I dont think it will be easy to get the 'nut' out of the spring as the coils converge at the ends....

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
I've done this. I got the threaded white part out by pulling on the spring and twisting, and got it on to the new spring by opening the spring up with some pliers and twisting. I used some channel locks on the aluminum to be able to twist it, and scarred the hell out of the part, but no functional harm done. It was a pain in the ass.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.