Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience buying from a U.S website shipping to Canada? I'm looking to get everything except for the frame and was worried I would get burned from customs. Thanks

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Does anyone have experience buying from a U.S website shipping to Canada? I'm looking to get everything except for the frame and was worried I would get burned from customs. Thanks
You should probably ask the website which you are buying from. What shipping method are they using?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have purchased large amounts of goods from the US. It is hit and miss for customs. I would have the stuff shipped and wait to see if you arw getting slapped with GST.

Sent from my GT-S5690M using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Pretty well all bike components are duty free. Complete bikes are 13% duty, shoes are 18%.
Items shipped by the post office may or may not be charged GST/HST plus a $9 collection fee.
I had around 10 parcels delivered around Christmas, all but one were charged taxes and fee. I've had 3 or 4 parcels recently and none of them have been charged - one was even a big box with a frame.
The possibility of not being charged taxes is one of the perks of Internet shopping.
Many of the US stores use international shipping carriers that include shipping, duty and taxes in the pricing - like Jenson. Unless everything is included like that, the big carriers are to be avoided - UPS is famous for charging taxes plus a $60 brokerage fee when they arrive at your door.
Always ship by postal mail.
The UK stores are usually much cheaper shipping - usually free over $100 or so. And I find parts arrive from the UK by mail faster than from the US.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Have to agree with UPS. They try their best to rape you on that bogus brokerage fee.

Sent from my GT-S5690M using Tapatalk 2

1 - 11 of 11 Posts