Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Good pics! Unfortunately, you can't put cantis on that frame. The frame bosses (caliper pivots) are above the rim and pads. Look a pictures of cantilever brakes and you'll see that the pivots are below the rim/pads.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good pics! Unfortunately, you can't put cantis on that frame. The frame bosses (caliper pivots) are above the rim and pads. Look a pictures of cantilever brakes and you'll see that the pivots are below the rim/pads.
I see, thanks! That's crap. Can anybody come to think of a way to gain some clearance for (65mm Gilles Berthoud) fenders? Is there another brake type that would work with the u-brake position of the frame bosses that I have? Or should I try to find a u-brake with "a large radius"?

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,876 Posts
possibly you want an sks fender like so....

I run one with the fender flipped on my road bike, and a stubby fender between seat tube and tire to keep grit out from front der area

no where near as cool or good as 'real fenders' though. it works but you have to fuss with it once in a while

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,876 Posts
Cut notches in the sides of the fenders to clear the brake arms?
yeah that might be it. get the fender you want and that fits with ubrake removed, then macguyver up a way to cut/patch/rivet/jbweld or fudge the fender in, even if you need to cut fender then rivet in some sort of bridge to make it work

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cut notches in the sides of the fenders to clear the brake arms?
If the clearance isn't too tight on the "vertical axis" - looks like to fenders will be very close to the brake, not only on the sides, with my 2.2" tires - I believe this is the right answer. According to Rivendell the SKS fenders "take to drilling and reaming and snipping and dremeling like a duck to water."

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Those seat-post mount fenders aren't terrible, I've commuted and even raced with those. They don't stop as much water as a 'proper' fender, but if you add something to the back of the seat tube that might help too.
For the effort you're looking at, and the price of old bikes these days, if you're dead-set on full-fenders, I bet you could find a decent old bike for under $100 that would do what you need it to do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.