Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Schwinn Panther that has a Tektro U-Brake on the back of it. I have not been very impressed with the stopping power of it. Is there another option that would be worth considering? I recently missed out on a XT unit on eBay and was wondering if that would have been the way to go?

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Cantilever boses are located lower on teh frame/fork than u-brake bosses, so no you can;t switch.

A u-brakes should provide plenty of stoping power. If you're not happy with your currentl set up, the first cheap fix is to try new pads. Hopefully that improves things. If not try a different u-brake (an XT sgould work well). The only other widely available option for your mounts are roller-cams.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have an old GT Zaskar with a u-brake on the back and I replaced the old shimano unit with a McMahon power link u-brake and it works very very well. I don't know how easy it would be to find one now but if you do I would highley recomend it.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Cemoto said:
I have a 2001 Schwinn Panther that has a Tektro U-Brake on the back of it. I have not been very impressed with the stopping power of it. Is there another option that would be worth considering? I recently missed out on a XT unit on eBay and was wondering if that would have been the way to go?
I have a used XT U brake, email [email protected]

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
XT u-brakes may be hard to come by. Go for a Dia-Compe 990 or Dia-Tech 996 u-brake. These are easy to come by at any shop that sells BMX or from bmx mail order like danscomp.com. The freestyle bmxers swear by 990's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.