Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 2019 specialized Enduro and looking for a tyre setup.

I'm going to be running two wheelset, in 29". One faster rolling for longer distance and one for more aggressive bombing. Looking between 2.3 and 2.6".

What suggestions would you make? I'm thinking

Aggro:
Eliminator/slaughter
Butcher/purg
assegai/agressor
Dhf/dhr (used before thought they were draggy)
Kenda?
Michelin?

Xc
Rekon/Forekaster
Ardent/ardent race
Xking2 f&r
Vittoria?

I still want to have reasonable rolling on the aggro set. On the xc set I'm pulling options out of my @rse, I have no real experience with 'fast' tyres

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
With no info on your trail conditions it’s hard to comment. My do-all setup with similar gear (multiple wheel sets for my Ripmo) is:

DHF/Aggressor in 2.5” on 35mm rims
Rekon 2.6/2.4 f/r on 29mm rims.

Some good mix/match options here, I like the DHF/Rekon f/r combo for aggressive riding in dry conditions.

When I replace my “aggressive” combo I’ll look for EXO+ casings, and would certainly look at an Assegai instead of a DHF.

I’m also Kenda-curious, and also think the Michelin Wild Enduro combo looks interesting as an aggressive set. New eThirteen TRS tires also seem worth a look.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Typically hardpack, loose over hard, and loamy tree root infested singletrack is what I ride locally.

I had DHFs, and to be totally honest I only ever found them good nose pointed down, which is about 30% of the ride. For the rest, the grip on offer was not necessary and the drag significant, which meant I struggled for momentum as soon as the trail flattened. I know it's the fail safe choice for a lot of people but I never got along with them.

For aggressive I'd like something with not quite as much ultimate bite as the DHF but more pedal friendly.

For XC, super pedal friendly but not scary slippery/unstable.

Would be handy to have a library of tyre classifications so you have a starting point if you don't know where to start. Something sorted like this with each manufacturers tyres inserted in the right place:

Downhill
Enduro
Aggro Trail
Light Trail
XC

With such a classification I'd be looking at one set from the Enduro section and the lighter set from Light Trail or XC.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Specialized Eliminator 2.6 front and Maxxis Aggressor 2.5 rear on big bike
Nice balance between grip and rolling resistance.

Vittoria Morsa 2.3 front and Vittoria Mezcal 2.3 rear on little bike.
Super fast rolling and very easy on the legs.

This is in the dry desert (rocky, hardpack, loose over hard).

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
I am not sure on that bike that you can really run an XC tire. Suspect that you will find that even if you are taking it easy you are going to smash stuff with speed and force that is beyond what an XC tire can take.

Lots of options for your aggressive tires. For you "XC tire" I would recommend going with a smaller version of an Enduro tire. Some thing like a 2.3 DHF EXO and a 2.3 Aggressor EXO.

On my Enduro bike put back on the old 2.3s any time I am facing a day with significant pedalling. It fairly stunning how much easier/faster it is climb with those tires versus 2.5s with DD casing.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am not sure on that bike that you can really run an XC tire. Suspect that you will find that even if you are taking it easy you are going to smash stuff with speed and force that is beyond what an XC tire can take.

Lots of options for your aggressive tires. For you "XC tire" I would recommend going with a smaller version of an Enduro tire. Some thing like a 2.3 DHF EXO and a 2.3 Aggressor EXO.

On my Enduro bike put back on the old 2.3s any time I am facing a day with significant pedalling. It fairly stunning how much easier/faster it is climb with those tires versus 2.5s with DD casing.
You have a point.

When I say xc tyres the main use would be more casual riding on fire trails and flowing singletrack, mainly when I'm riding with the kids. I have a 29er hardtail I currently use for that but I want to downsize my collection so I'm trying to do two things with this bike. Heading out with a full AM setup for that sort of riding seems ridiculous.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Vittoria tyres are notoriously difficult to get here. Same with Kenda.

I was thinking rekon/rekon race but heard good things about the ardent race too. Tbh I haven't ridden either I understand the ardent is more aggressive?

I can't understand people who say the dhf/dhr rolls well. They must be much for than I, I found that combo was like having draggy brakes on flowing trails.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Barzo or Mezcal would work well.
This.

Just saw they are hard to get.

Bontrager tough to get? Xr2?

I have XR4 on my HD3 and they are great so far, but I am getting some slippage when really cranking turns on hard soil. I will keep the XR4 on the back, but am looking for a new front. I also ditched the DHF/DHR. Too slow for what I ride which is trail with some enduro worthy downs, but not many. May try the Bonty XR5 or Hans Dampf

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
You have a point.

When I say xc tyres the main use would be more casual riding on fire trails and flowing singletrack, mainly when I'm riding with the kids. I have a 29er hardtail I currently use for that but I want to downsize my collection so I'm trying to do two things with this bike. Heading out with a full AM setup for that sort of riding seems ridiculous.
I still think your idea of two sets of wheels has merit. There is a massive difference between something like a 2.5 DH casing Maxxis Assegai and a 2.3 EXO casing Minion. Both tires have their purpose and when you use them outside of that purpose you know it.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This.

Just saw they are hard to get.

Bontrager tough to get? Xr2?

I have XR4 on my HD3 and they are great so far, but I am getting some slippage when really cranking turns on hard soil. I will keep the XR4 on the back, but am looking for a new front. I also ditched the DHF/DHR. Too slow for what I ride which is trail with some enduro worthy downs, but not many. May try the Bonty XR5 or Hans Dampf
Actually I have a 2.2 xr2, 2.4 xr3 and a 2.6 xr5 laying around. I found the 2.6 bontis a little like riding on basketballs. If you lowered the pressure to where they didn't bounce they became sloppy around corners.

I'd forgotten I had the xr2 & 3 though. Might mount them up and see how they go. Be similar to a fast track/ ground control I'd imagine no?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Tyre recommendations - enduro & xc

Bontrager xr5/xr4 gives you grip and saves weight. Upgrade to the se5/se4 and now you can rip with peace of mind but you'll feel the extra weight.

I have the 2.6 on the front of my bike with i30 rims and I'm happy with it. I run 19psi most of the time and it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.