Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The EMTB forums have been of no use so I'll try here.

Sah dudes,

I need a suggestion for a rear tyre insert, purely for rim protection, I ride quite rocky terrain (look up Loftus, NSW, Australia for reference).
I've replaced 2 rims (on 2 different bikes) due to heavy, unrepairable impacts, and frankly don't want to spend 100s of dollars just to replace rims..... Again 馃檮. Have been looking at/contemplating myne-sweepers but would be glad of other suggestions.
I quite often get minor rim dents and yeah just want some insurance.

For reference, I am around 69-75ish kg riding weight, and I ride a 2019 Merida e160 which I've upgraded to a mullet since the last rim destruction session.

Registered
What sort of tires are you using? Specifically which casing?

Tire inserts can help, but if you're constantly destroying rims, the solution is likely to be found in either thicker tire casings, more air pressure, or heavier duty rims.

This article is a good empirical one though. The best inserts for rim damage were the Meganorris hamburger, rimpact pro, and cushcore pro.

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/tested-6-of-the-best-tire-inserts-vs-impact-rig.html

Registered
I gotta say that these minesweepers looks just like the most basic pool noodle.

I would recommend to check out Rimpact. Since you're on an E-Bike and extra weight shouldn't be an issue for you, then Rimpact Pro should be a better option.

The other good option could be the Tannus Armour Tubeless

I actually just last night installed a 4th set of Rimpact Original on my 4th and lightest duty 1,295g wheelset. So far I really like the Rimpact Original on my other 3 wheelsets.

Hope that helps…
Best of Luck !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What sort of tires are you using? Specifically which casing?

Tire inserts can help, but if you're constantly destroying rims, the solution is likely to be found in either thicker tire casings, more air pressure, or heavier duty rims.

This article is a good empirical one though. The best inserts for rim damage were the Meganorris hamburger, rimpact pro, and cushcore pro.

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/tested-6-of-the-best-tire-inserts-vs-impact-rig.html
I'm running a 27.5x2.8 DHR II TR EXO Casing on the stock Merdia Expert TP (38mm ID) and I generally run my tyre pressures reasonably hard (No idea what PSI - I would assume around the 30ish mark).

Registered
I'm running a 27.5x2.8 DHR II TR EXO Casing on the stock Merdia Expert TP (38mm ID) and I generally run my tyre pressures reasonably hard (No idea what PSI - I would assume around the 30ish mark).
I haven't looked into plus tire casing offerings lately. But personally I'd be looking for more robust tires as a first step. Something like a double down casing if possible.

As an example I'm about 10-15kg heavier than you (on a normal non-ebike), and I also dent rims through exo casing tires. I more or less solved my problem by going to thicker tire casings, and more air pressure.

I have done more to help prevent wheel damage, but it was incrementally, as things were damaged beyond repair, or I was looking for something else. As it happens, I do have a rear insert now as well, and haven't had any rim damage since… but I also now have a much stronger rim, and haven't ridden any of the trails that dented my old rim in the first place. So take that for what it's worth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.