Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly..i spelt tyres right...its the Aussie/English way...lol

okay..as most of u guys should know that i got a Sunday factory and i m thinking of changing my High Roller 2.5 ST front and High roller 2.35 ST rear to something else...
i mostly ride on loose rocky terrain and would love some drifty tyre(obviously at the bak) and grippy ones at the front...

here are some of the tyres i would like to try....

i would love to try Michy ..but i get confused with the differnt tyres that i can choose from..theres comp 16, 24.1 and 32..wat are their differnces...and whihc one should i get? and wat size?

i ve heard of alot of good reviews on Kenda blue Groove and Nevegal...and from reading different posts...i see that almost everyone is running the Blue Groove front and Nevegal rear...

so the Kenda or Michy? thanks alot...

KC

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
I've run all of the above, except the Blue Groove. Mich. are good but will not shed mud too well. Kendas shed a lil better. Currently I'm runnin' Kenda Nevegals, 2.7/ft 2.5/bk. I have to say I love the Stick-E compound. They have a lil taller knobs than the Blue Groove, but I ride rooty, rocky, loamy, NC trails. Nevegals do better ft/bk.
I used to run th' Mich. all of the time. But Kenda has produced a very good tire & at a cheaper price. Just make sure you get th' steel bead, kevlar beads pinch flat too easy.

Kendas. Done.

·
Registered
10,027 Posts
Yoshimura said:
Firstly..i spelt tyres right...its the Aussie/English way...lol

okay..as most of u guys should know that i got a Sunday factory and i m thinking of changing my High Roller 2.5 ST front and High roller 2.35 ST rear to something else...
i mostly ride on loose rocky terrain and would love some drifty tyre(obviously at the bak) and grippy ones at the front...

here are some of the tyres i would like to try....

i would love to try Michy ..but i get confused with the differnt tyres that i can choose from..theres comp 16, 24.1 and 32..wat are their differnces...and whihc one should i get? and wat size?

i ve heard of alot of good reviews on Kenda blue Groove and Nevegal...and from reading different posts...i see that almost everyone is running the Blue Groove front and Nevegal rear...

so the Kenda or Michy? thanks alot...

KC
I used to run the Maxxis mobster ST and thought they were the sh!t. Tried a set of the michelin comp24.1, were ok, but then I picked up a set of nevegals. Love this tire (tyre) both front and rear. I thing the bluegroove would work best in hard pack ocnditions, but I dont get that often up here on the north shore!

If the choice is a flat out kenda VS michy, the KENDA all the way (until something new comes along....)

·
hands up who wants to die
1,405 Posts
universalcycles.com and aebike.com have good prices on Kendas. around $33.
there are others too...

-r

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
2.8 michelin in the front and 2.5 high rollar in the back is a great combo for loose stuff. I run the 2.8 front and back. Heavy tires but I am tubeless so it doesn't make a difference.

A lot of people and racers run the Minions in the front and High rollars in the back

·
Registered
842 Posts
I've tried Mobsters (50a&60a) and Highrollers (60a) and Kujo's, but have found anything that beats Nevegals (2.7 and 2.5) and Blue Groove (2.5) for grip in wet and mud and durability and value. The 60a Minion and Highrollers are likely better for going fast in hard-pack conditions (ie Whistler)

·
Innovate or die!
702 Posts
its all about the michies. People get confused, buy the wrong one, then spend the rest of their lives hating. So sad.
Comp 16= spiky knobs, sheds mud very well, good for loose, will not drift
Comp 24.1= Great for hardpack and progressive sliding technique (only run on the back and NEVER run as front tire in anything other than full hardpack)
Comp 32= Without argument, the worlds grippiest tire that actually rolls. All terrain in everything but sloppy/sticky mud. Corners insane. insane........ insane. Anyway, it also weighs only 50 g more than a maxxis 2.5 minion, so it is pretty heavy. Only DH.
Mud3= One purpose = win mud races. Will not work in slightly tacky conditions. Best full mud tire in the world as voted by Dirt (guys live in england-- nuff said) but won't work on anything but slop mud. Get a comp 16 for tacky/loose stuff.

Go to go-ride---- they are really knowledgible (har har) and love the comp 16.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
Kenda Stick-E Nevegal DH 2.5 rear, 2.7 front. or even 2.5 front is okay if you aren't too big/heavy a rider. these casings have a nice supple feel that improve on my prior combo, Maxxis DH 60A casing High Roller 2.5 rear, Minion F 2.7. the stick-e is the cat's for sure.

·
Registered
605 Posts
i'm running the michilen 2.8 front, i'm on my 4th yr with this tire and it's still in great shape it outlived my last bike it has excellent traction, very durable obviously, i will never switc this tire, even when it finally falls apart i''ll get another 2.8 michilen, i also use the 2.7 kenda nevagal on the rear it is a softer compound than the michilen, it has tremendous grip as well and i swear the tire size lies cause the 2.7 looks bigger than the 2.8 michilen lol wow does it pedal like a pig with the big tires though :) but it feels sooo stable on the DH and jumping it is worth it
i've tried an outrageous amt of tires, Gazzi's, 2.35 f/r maxxis highrollers, 2.6 highrollers, 2.35-2.5 intense, 2.35 maxxis hans rey, rocko's, you should see my spare tire collection ;p anyways i'm rambling again, either choise the michilen or the Kenda Nevegal is a good choice both are great tires.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
gonzostrike said:
Kenda Stick-E Nevegal DH 2.5 rear, 2.7 front. or even 2.5 front is okay if you aren't too big/heavy a rider. these casings have a nice supple feel that improve on my prior combo, Maxxis DH 60A casing High Roller 2.5 rear, Minion F 2.7. the stick-e is the cat's for sure.
How does the sizing of the Maxxis compare to the Kenda? My Maxxis 2.5 is pretty tight in the rear of my Foes. Did you notice a big difference in traction and rolling resistance?

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
kanter said:
How does the sizing of the Maxxis compare to the Kenda? My Maxxis 2.5 is pretty tight in the rear of my Foes. Did you notice a big difference in traction and rolling resistance?
the Maxxis run small generally, and this is true compared to the Kenda. I would say the Kenda 2.5 might be too wide if your Maxxis 2.5 is tight, but as you know, it depends on your rim profile and how wide it lets the inflated tire get. with a narrower rim like my Arrow FRX, the 2.5 stays almost as small as the 2.35.

the tread pattern LOOKS similar to the Minion, but I'm not a tread designer or tire engineer, so please don't take that to mean they're the same.

rolling is slower on the rear, not noticeably different on the front. but the High Roller is a pretty fast rolling DH casing tire, eh? so I don't really expect the Nevegal DH to be faster rolling. maybe the Blue Groove DH is a bit faster on the rear, dunno.

I haven't had them out to Dead Man's yet, but have ridden them on 3 Larch, and on Como Lake. so all my info so far is regarding trail riding, not fast DH. 3 Larch never lets you get going fast enough to have any DH feel. same w/ Lake Como.

for the money, I like they way they feel so far and would suggest trying them IF your Maxxis are ready for replacement. but don't go ripping your Maxxis off the rims just to try the Kendas.

;)

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
kanter said:
Maxxis tire sizing goes like this...

Maxxis 2.35 = actual 2.1-2.2
Maxxis 2.5 = actual 2.35
Maxxis 2.7 = actual 2.50

*newer* Kenda's run pretty much true to size. (*newer* meaning all models designed since the Tomac series was introduced)

·
Registered
606 Posts
IS the Kenda Nevegal a fast rolling tire? Well, for being a DH 2.5-2.7 tire? How well does it hook up in corners with ball bearing gravel ontop of hardpack? That's usually the stuff that gets my front wheel drifting a bit too much around corners and makes me clip stuff.

I'm constantly tinkering with tires. My next setup is going to be the Nevegal 2.7 up front and a 2.5 HighRoller in the rear.

I'm currently running a 2.5 timberwolf DH in front and a Minion DHR 2.5 42 stin the rear. Even though Maxxis tends to run skinny, they also seem to run pretty tall.

I don't think I like the Minion as much as the HR it replaced. It seems to not hold banks and ruts as good as the HR. It also really REALLY sucks for mud, I'm constantly trying to keep my back tire going straight in the slippery stuff, which is wierd because it holds a straight line like no other outside of the mud. I'm going back to the 2.5 HR 42 st in the rear, as far as I'm concerned there isn't a better rear tire for every condition.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
Micro if the Minion R doesn't corner as well as the High Roller, play with your tire pressures.

I have nothing but great things to say about the Minions for cornering. Unbelievable tire for cornering. They're my standard for DH tires on cornering. If the Nevegals corner as well or better, I'll be happy because they're $10-15 cheaper apiece!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.