Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Here in UK with 80% natural trails Im running two magic marys in the trailstar super gravity variety. Heavier than the HR2s but I can run them at 25 psi without pinching and they cope in the mud. After something for summer for when the trails harden up though and something that rolls a little better and lighter than the HR2s.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I love my HR2, but the Ardent is a good lighter tire that holds up to abuse well. I run HR2 front and Ardent rear. Schwalbe trailstars are too soft for my trails and wear out too fast for how expen$ive they are.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Minions have better rolling resistance than hr2's?
No, slightly worse which is why I run 2.3" HR2 rear, DHF front on my Bronson. And, FWIW, the DHF is one of the best controlled braking tires on the planet along with it's cornering prowess is why most DH racers are on that tire.

Keep in mind the first Bronsons were shipping with the 2.4" HR2's with dual ply sidewalls which are boat anchors compared to the 2.3" single ply HR2's which they ship with now (and are surprisingly fast rolling for the cornering grip they achieve). Night and day difference between those two tires even tho they share the same name, thus leading to most of the confusion I see. In fact the single ply HR2's weigh a mere 830 grams which is not weighty for a 650b tire by any means!!!

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
Registered
27 Posts
No, slightly worse which is why I run 2.3" HR2 rear, DHF front on my Bronson. And, FWIW, the DHF is one of the best controlled braking tires on the planet along with it's cornering prowess is why most DH racers are on that tire.

Keep in mind the first Bronsons were shipping with the 2.4" HR2's with dual ply sidewalls which are boat anchors compared to the 2.3" single ply HR2's which they ship with now (and are surprisingly fast rolling for the cornering grip they achieve). Night and day difference between those two tires even tho they share the same name, thus leading to most of the confusion I see. In fact the single ply HR2's weigh a mere 830 grams which is not weighty for a 650b tire by any means!!!

Have FUN!

G MAN
Dang i hope mine are the 2.4"s and i can buy the 2.3"'s and love them that much more!!! I'll likely try the minion dhf up front tho once the time comes. Don't see a need to replace them when they aren't bad. The little bit of extra weight's just makin me stronger.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm running 2.3 exo Ardents front and rear here on the Rocky Phoenix, AZ trails. Good combination of ok weight, strong sidewalls, and good grip front and rear.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I've found the DHFs and its clones (butchers) to be faster rolling than the HRII. Maybe not a huge difference, but I def don't find them any slower. Cornering is the big thing, HRIIs aren't bad but the DHF is a step above. I've never like the ardent as a front tire, but it does do well on the rear end.

Really looking forward to the new Specialized tire. A cheaper and hopefully longer lasting Rock Razor...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts