Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I see nothing that says Smock dragged the guy out of his truck. Two guys got into a fight and one lost. I don't condone the violence, but I'm sure we all have had run-ins with cagers and understand the anger. This one evidently got into it after refusing to take responsibility for his actions. I am obviously biased, but I wouldn't be surprised if the guy was crowding the bike lane. Something set Smock off.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Nothing scares off an aggressive motorist than a red light and the incoming cyclist the motorist nearly just brushed off the road. At that point, the cyclist grabbing the motor vehicle door handle and choice words of encouragement, gently reminds the motorist that the roads are not just made for motor vehicles.

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,825 Posts
I recall reading stories of motorists hitting and injuring cyclists, but law enforcement doesn't hold the motorist accountable for anything. No? I guess punching someone is worse than driving into someone.
Unfortunately, a lot cyclists get hit by motorists every year. I've been hit five times, mostly when living in Oakland/Berkeley and with minor injuries. There are two issues here Jeff Smock's response and the public image of cyclists. In the average citizens mind I'm not sure these can or will be separated. I'm sure Mr. Smock regrets his response. He just erased all the good he has done in society. That sucks

·
Registered
186 Posts
I think we all need to wait until we get some real facts about what actually happened before making any judgements.

The first thing that stood out to me when I read this article was the strong anti-cyclist tone that the article was written with.

Reading between the lines, another version could be: A guy driving a truck slams a guy on a bike with his side view mirror, then when confronted the driver of the truck is not only unapologetic for nearly taking another mans life, he decides to stop his car, take off his seat belt, step out of his car in the middle of an intersection and engage another man in mutual combat.

I am not saying this is what happened, and I am not condoning violence of any kind.

What I am saying is the story seems very one sided...

*Post edited to delete mistake.

·
YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
2,961 Posts
I think we all need to wait until we get some real facts about what actually happened before making any judgements.

The first thing that stood out to me when I read this article was the strong anti-cyclist tone that the article was written with. The next thing I noticed is that it was written by Mark Prado the same guy who wrote this gem of a piece: Rogue trails, vandalism vex county park officials as plan is considered - Marin Independent Journal

Reading between the lines, another version could be: A guy driving a truck slams a guy on a bike with his side view mirror, then when confronted the driver of the truck is not only unapologetic for nearly taking another mans life, he decides to stop his car, take off his seat belt, step out of his car in the middle of an intersection and engage another man in mutual combat.

I am not saying this is what happened, and I am not condoning violence of any kind.

What I am saying is the story seems very one sided...

Thats our little Mark P for ya.
One sided.

·
fRIDEday makes me happy!
902 Posts
I can barely press the crosswalk button with road biking shoes on never mind throwing a beat down, ice skate fighting takes talent.

Now putting someone in the hospital because of a road rage incident that kinda crosses the line. Self control needs to be questioned, a punch or two in the face and all is good if that is what it comes to. Stopping when on top and in control takes balance.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm sure Mr. Smock regrets his response. He just erased all the good he has done in society. That sucks
I'm sure he regrets it, but his actions just mean he's human. I disagree that he's erased any positive actions in the past. "A good act does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good."

Some interesting history behind our present transportation infrastructure:
The Invention of Jaywalking - Sarah Goodyear - The Atlantic Cities

Apparently people used to be held responsible for their actions behind the wheel of an automobile.

1 - 20 of 205 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.