Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
It's about showing up.
Joined
·
12,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know about the rest of you but I couldn't be more pleased for Tyler Hamilton. When he had to abandone the Tour because of injury, not because he couldn't endure pain but couldn't produce any climbing power due to back injuries, I know he was hurting big time, body and soul.
He looked good in the Olympic Road Race and finished 12th; it was his first race since the Tour and he had taken time off. And then he takes the Time Trial Gold at the Athens Olympics.
And let's not forget our Bobby Julich, who crashed 3 times in the Tour, who took the Bronze Medal just behind Ekimov (a US Postal centerpiece). How cool is that? You done us proud, boy.
Congratualtions Tyler; you are a true champion.
 

·
Who are the brain police?
Joined
·
10,112 Posts
Man, I'm psyched for him. He lives a couple of cities over from me. Not that I've met him, but it feels extra good when a local does so well.
 

·
bonkin' clyde
Joined
·
831 Posts
He's [email protected]!

Man that guys amazing. There are few people out there in the pro circuit in cycling who could endure the pain that long. In baseball or something, you sit in the sidelines until you're up to bat etc, you're in the sidelines in basketball until you go into the court at the coach's choice, etc, but in cycling, you're pedaling the whole time nonstop, I can't even imagine the amount of willpower it took him to keep going...Mucho kudos to Tyler man, he rocks!
 

·
Ride More
Joined
·
79 Posts
Berkeley Mike said:
I don't know about the rest of you but I couldn't be more pleased for Tyler Hamilton. When he had to abandone the Tour because of injury, not because he couldn't endure pain but couldn't produce any climbing power due to back injuries, I know he was hurting big time, body and soul.
He looked good in the Olympic Road Race and finished 12th; it was his first race since the Tour and he had taken time off. And then he takes the Time Trial Gold at the Athens Olympics.
And let's not forget our Bobby Julich, who crashed 3 times in the Tour, who took the Bronze Medal just behind Ekimov (a US Postal centerpiece). How cool is that? You done us proud, boy.
Congratualtions Tyler; you are a true champion.
I think he did great. He dedicated winning the gold medal to his dog that died during the tour. He actually carried the dog tags on the ride with him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,211 Posts
He cheated. He did part of the race without his team radio (he was obviously much lighter than the rest). :)

To be honest, I didn't give him a shot. I didn't think he was a big TTer, but he proved me wrong.

BTW, anybody notice the bulk on Bobby's back (I caught the tail end of the coverage last night at 12:30 a.m.). Was he wearing the Camelbak again?
 

·
Ride More
Joined
·
79 Posts
skinny-tire said:
He cheated. He did part of the race without his team radio (he was obviously much lighter than the rest). :)

To be honest, I didn't give him a shot. I didn't think he was a big TTer, but he proved me wrong.

BTW, anybody notice the bulk on Bobby's back (I caught the tail end of the coverage last night at 12:30 a.m.). Was he wearing the Camelbak again?
Yes he was.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Tyler dedicates his gold medal to his dog?

Give me a f*******ing break! Folks, pardon my insensitivity to the four legged creatures,
but who on earth in his right mind dedicates his medal to his dog?

Frankly, after that comment on television, I lost all interest in him as racer and a person.
Say what you will, but I found the comment bordering on the ridiculous.

Just my two drachmas worth of opinion.

Kind regards,
Dimitri
 

·
Who are the brain police?
Joined
·
10,112 Posts
Don't underestimate dogs. They're loved like family members.

They're the first animal to be domesticated. If that didn't happen, we'd still be hunter-gatherers. Man and dog have been together long enough to co-evolve.

"...dogs co-evolved with humans to develop the ability to read non-verbal signals from their masters - such as pointing at a hidden food source.

The study showed that while domestic dog puppies only a few weeks old who had no human contact showed these skills, wolves who were raised by humans did not show these same skills.

"Unlike any other higher intelligence animal, like dolphins or chimps, this intelligent species evolved in a mixed species community," said Newby. "It wasn't just dog society that it had to deal with, it had to deal with human society. What that meant is there was [evolutionary] selection for dogs who were able to read human signals, as well as other dog signals, which is quite unique.""
http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s732808.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,271 Posts
Blue Crown Jewel said:
Give me a f*******ing break! Folks, pardon my insensitivity to the four legged creatures,
but who on earth in his right mind dedicates his medal to his dog?

Frankly, after that comment on television, I lost all interest in him as racer and a person.
Say what you will, but I found the comment bordering on the ridiculous.

Just my two drachmas worth of opinion.

Kind regards,
Dimitri
come to boulder and you will see why tyler would dedicate the biggest moment of his life (in front of the world) to his dog. boulder is just freakish like that. i cant explain other than these people are a little off tilt. ive seen a couple who looked and smelled like they had not bathed in months argue about the price of something in a bar with the cocktail waitress, leave no tip to her on a $30 tab, and then take their cheesy dreadlocked asses outside to a $70,000 range rover. if you have ever wanted to beat someone like that, then you know boulder.
 

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
Joined
·
4,164 Posts
Blue Crown Jewel said:
Give me a f*******ing break! Folks, pardon my insensitivity to the four legged creatures,
but who on earth in his right mind dedicates his medal to his dog?
Dimitri
Umm, have you ever had a dog for years and had it die? The furry critters can become very much a family member.
I thought it was a good gesture. (I still have my last dog's collar and tags).

Oh (back on topic here), way to go Tyler! Next TDF is gonna be interesting.

Werner
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top