Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
beer thief
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an interesting weekend. Saturday evening I decided to enter a 4-cross bike race at a nearby ski mountain. I've heard about this race for years although I have never attended. I'm no downhiller and most of the participants are half my age (or less), but I figured what the heck, it will build character. My trail bike has studded Nokians but I chose to bring my big bike with slack geometry. I didn't expect much ice and there wasn't any.

It was a typical biker-cross format, with 4 riders duking it out around gates and over a couple humps (not really jumps). Everyone got a practice run and it was kinda dicy. I tried putting out my inside foot on one gate, which resulted in that foot catching on the snow and flying out behind me. Hang on! OK, scratch that tactic. My "race" strategy was to sit in the back and hopefully pass those who crashed. This didn't work in the qualifier as no one went down so I finished last. This meant I had to finish 1st or 2nd on the elimination round to advance (which I didn't really want to do as I was afraid my beer was going to freeze; did I mention it was really cold?).

Anyway, back to the top in the snowcat trailer and do it all again. I stayed with my proven(?) tactic and let the kids grab the holeshot, then tried not to get left too far behind. Again there was all sorts of carnage, but in my excitement to get through I went down also and finished 3rd. Ah well, the beer was whispering my name. Psst.

All in all it was great fun and worth doing. Plus I got to see some friends and make new ones, always a good time. These pics courtesy of Jell-oe from bustedspoke.com. More photos at https://www.bustedspoke.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=32880 and https://www.shawneepeak.com/Photo_Gallery/ .

On Sunday I joined some friends for an ice ride on the Brownfield (ME) Bog. The Bog is thousands of acres of mosquito-infested swamp. But not at this time of year. With studded tires, you can ride pretty much anywhere. While it is dead flat and offers no technical challenge, save for a few boulders we found sticking out of the ice, the beauty of the place and views of the Presidential Range are impressive.

One of the ladies on the ride was blown away by the place and couldn't stop giggling.

Mostly it was just free form bombing around, trying to find thin ice for a thrill.

Bonus points to anyone who can guess the source of these tracks:

Overall it was a great weekend even if the skiing is not yet up to par. One parting shot of one of the cool places on the bog, this one from last January.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Nice! Sounds like a great weekend, even with two very different riding days ;) Gotta hand it to you guys that ride on snow. It's tough just getting outside in So Cal when it's in the 30s! (And it has been the last few weekends.)

·
Registered
13,171 Posts
radair said:
Bonus points to anyone who can guess the source of these tracks:
Looks like ice skates.:rolleyes: Was that too easy?

The four cross stuff looks like a blast. In retrospect would the studs have been of any use on the snowcross course? Definitely essential equipment on the icy bog.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Snow = no studs required

KRob said:
It retrospect would the studs been of any use on the snowcross course? Definitely essential equipment on the icy bog.
IME studs do nothing in snow unless its packed down to ice. Big tires are best for snow - though some people swear by narrower tires so they dig down to the base layer...

John

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
very cool. I went to Shawnee Slopestyle even last year to take pictures. I was impressed with the large turnout. The bob riding looks even better. The first time I was out on a lake was erie to say the least. especially since the edges were not frozen.

Had I been around last weekend I could have done a snow ride here myself. Tucson had accumilation and the SoMo area had snow collect on lawn chairs. =)

·
beer thief
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
KRob said:
Looks like ice skates.:rolleyes: Was that too easy?

The four cross stuff looks like a blast. In retrospect would the studs have been of any use on the snowcross course?
Nope, not ice skates (or human for that matter).

No need for studs on the 4x course, although I saw one kid who had machine screws sticking 3/4" out of his tires. We were all hoping he was in a different heat. By the time the practice runs were over it was pretty rutted up and loose. I agree with Jisch, fat tires are the way to go. People who advocate narrow tires have only used them on light snow over a firm surface.

·
beer thief
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
aword4you said:
Nice! Sounds like a great weekend, even with two very different riding days ;) Gotta hand it to you guys that ride on snow. It's tough just getting outside in So Cal when it's in the 30s! (And it has been the last few weekends.)
Well, it would have been a great weekend if the Pats had hung on. I'll get no sympathy from you, of course. Add me to the list of unhappy football fans.

Cold weather definitely takes some physical adjustment. I'm sure I could adjust pretty quickly to SoCal climate right now, though. It is really fun to do these rides that are underwater the rest of the year. Here's a GPS track of a ride on the Bog from a couple of years ago, and an ice skatepark we found.

Attachments

·
Live, Freeze, and Ride
315 Posts
Cool, never even crossed my studdless mind to bog it.

I got studs now so call or e-mail if your gonna hit the bog again, would love to try a water ride. I hate the skeeters,so I rarely venture into such places.

·
formerly shabadu
961 Posts
Nice!
I've probably missed some posts, but anyhow, its good to see you riding again. This is the first I've seen I think.
That 4X looks fun, theres some snow races coming up for me, I'm pretty stoked. I just want to get on a bike that goes somewhere at this point.

·
beer thief
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
flowtron said:
Nice!
I've probably missed some posts, but anyhow, its good to see you riding again. This is the first I've seen I think.
That 4X looks fun, theres some snow races coming up for me, I'm pretty stoked. I just want to get on a bike that goes somewhere at this point.
Hey Joe! I saw a guy on TGR with a handle of JoeyJoeShabadoo (or something like that) and wondered if it were you. I assume you're still in the front range? Getting some pow carving in?

I got back on the bike in July and did a couple months of riding in a funky boot. I'm still on flat pedals, which have been a good skill-building lesson.

Stunting with the boot, late summer:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.