Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Niner SIR9 at 32x19. The ration is perfect for me when riding the mountains, but completely unsuitable when I ride flat trails.:madman:

I was thinking of keeping a second wheel to have 32x15 ratio.

The questions is :confused: if I can manage the rotation between the two wheels only by changing the EBB angle, and if not what is the ratio that can still be handled by the rotation.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
If you can set your EBB rearward for the 19T you might have enough adjustment to take up the slack for the 15T.

What I've found is that swapping wheels and tensioning the chain is too annoying of a task for me. When I want to ride, I want to ride NOW!

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
just run both rings and cogs...
32/34 rings and 19/17 cogs... (if you're running a freewheel then talk to ernesto about an ENO DOS...)
I'll be running 39.42 and 19/16 on my steamroller, roadie rings up front and the cod cogs from misfit cycles out back
(lo siento'nesto, wanted WI stuff, but I realized I wanted my spinergy wheels more! LOL)

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
uribike said:
I have a Niner SIR9 at 32x19. The ration is perfect for me when riding the mountains, but completely unsuitable when I ride flat trails.:madman:

I was thinking of keeping a second wheel to have 32x15 ratio.

The questions is :confused: if I can manage the rotation between the two wheels only by changing the EBB angle, and if not what is the ratio that can still be handled by the rotation.
A different idea would be a "dinglespeed": have two cogs in the rear and two large chainrings up front (one on the inside, one on the outside) to give you two usable ratios. If you pick the right two ratios they will actually use the same length chain and you won't need to adjust the EBB at all!

I think the rule for this is that the ratios have to add up to the same total number of teeth. For example 32x18 and 34x16 would work. Hopefully someone can confirm this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.