Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Two Unno Horn bikes (#07 and #13)

Hello, here are two bikes based on lightweight Unno Horn frame (https://www.unno.com/horn/). We were assembling those during long fall and winter months making them looking the same with some differences in application: one is ultimate XC racing shark and more fun bike but still fast XC machine.

The frames came directly from from Barcelona, Spain. The great place where Unno and Gemini factories are located. Both offer modern products: light, stiff. And really forward thinking geometry for XC:
pasted image 0 (2).jpg
Just notice the head angle and the chainstay length.

Frames weight.
Matt black (clear carbon finish): 1445g without hardware
pasted image 0.jpg

Gloss black (clear carbon finish): 1512g without hardware
pasted image 0 (1).jpg

Components in matching lightweight and XC race applicable concept with nice black and kashima-cork-cuprum color scheme.
components.jpg

IMG_2803.jpg

So, here is the first bike:
IMG_1659.jpg

Some more photos:
IMG_2818.jpg

IMG_2821.jpg

IMG_2813.jpeg

IMG_2816.jpg

The second bike differs in suspension settings (rear shock, front fork and fork rake), stem length and some small details.
20200213_141335 (2).jpg

We even race the bikes in Andalusia Bike Race, 6 day stage race in Spain just before COVID covered the world.

I would notice how the bike is capable on steep climbs despite its 'relaxed' head angle (for XC competitors). That head angle allows to ride over any terrain giving some 'not worrying' feeling.

And yes, it is really capable on descends, but for me it is now a new challenge to learn to ride in modern way on modern 'forward' geometry bike - it requires me to move by body more forward that I used to be in. And I still need some time to find body position in fast flat corners.

On steep 'downhill' sections bike demonstrated me its wild nature. I have all-mountain bike in the past and I remembers those feelings. The Horn is very close here, it is real trail-enduro bike with short suspension movement on descents.

I believe the world will get recovered from the infection and me with the bike will race again.

·
Maromero
1,595 Posts
Real nice build and impressive weight, with no limits $$$$. Just a couple of places where you could lose a little more grams: brakes, Trickstuff vs XTR about 100 gr less, hubs, Extralite vs Newmen 96 gr less

·
chasing simplicity
1,270 Posts
Dream frame. Maybe when this nightmare ends...

·
chasing simplicity
1,270 Posts
Igor, what is the rear shock measurement? 170mm x 35mm?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Real nice build and impressive weight, with no limits $$$$. Just a couple of places where you could lose a little more grams: brakes, Trickstuff vs XTR about 100 gr less, hubs, Extralite vs Newmen 96 gr less
There are no such difference between Trickstuff and XTR brakes if you put all small parts from Tricktuff on scales and consider 'matchmaker' for XTR shifter. Just about 50-60 gr.
There are the 1st generation of Newmen hubs (about 95 gr front and 199 gr rear) that is lighter current 2nd gen. And there are no Extralite hubs for pi-ropes on the market.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Love the build. How does the 12 speed Garbunk cassette shift?
Why not 11 speed xx1 for XC? That's 100 gram savings. Add in a Hopp XTR derailleur and your saving 200 grams or something.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you!

How does the 12 speed Garbunk cassette shift?
In general it is OK, i didn't notice any real difference, however finish quality of XTR and Sram XX cassettes are better.

Why not 11 speed xx1 for XC?
The build purpose for this bike is stage racing (4-7 day long events) at mountain areas of Spain, Austria, Italy and Poland. So, big 12spd cassette range is very helpful there to keep legs fresh between the stages.

·
chasing simplicity
1,270 Posts
Igor,
Is the Unno recommended fork rake 51mm? Wondering how a 44mm rake would work in your opinion.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Igor,
Is the Unno recommended fork rake 51mm? Wondering how a 44mm rake would work in your opinion.
I've asked Unno about it. Here is the answer: "Honestly you can’t go wrong with any, the more offset a bit more agile, the less the more stable, so definitely a bit what you would prefer."

Our bikes have different rake (and trail), 51mm works well for me. Here is trail comparison for some bikes

·
chasing simplicity
1,270 Posts
Interesting, good to know, thanks again!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are you really running just 3 screws in the front brakes for stage racing?
Thank you for comment.
6 screws per wheel: 3 screws made of titanium and 3 made of aluminium - race proven setup for years even in big mountains (like Bike TransAlp event). But I need to mention I am below 60 kg (or 132 lbs) racer. Low body weight is one of the reasons I can afford really light bike for racing

·
Illuminati
1,729 Posts
very cool bikes Igor! I've always been curious about the gemini bar/stem sizing. if you put a flat edge from each end of the handlebar, how much vertical height rise is there from the centre of the stem please? I've always liked the weight & looks of the propus, but was concerned that there was too much negative height drop for me

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
if you put a flat edge from each end of the handlebar, how much vertical height rise is there from the centre of the stem please? I've always liked the weight & looks of the propus, but was concerned that there was too much negative height drop for me
I'm sorry for late reply, I am far away from my bike now due to Covid-19. Maybe Gemini description can help on their site in Geometry section https://ridegemini.com/en/tienda/propus-en/

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Igor!

How does it ride (or them...). I'm thinking of getting one. What's your size? Thanks!
It is very modern bike and if you had a chance to ride BMC Fourstroke it rides pretty the same but in better\skinnier shape. It does not require (and does not provide any option for) a remote lockout for rear suspension and it is really cool feature. My height it 170 cm (5'7") and Unno provide just single size that fits all. Indeed - not all :)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts