Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my Litespeed 96er pictured with a Mavic Crossland in back and a WTB Laser Disc Lite 29 on the front. Plenty of room for the 29 wheel. I want to build a better set of wheels with Chris King hubs. I have a ton of options. The best "deal" I have found is to pair Velocity Blunt 650 B with Pacenti Neo Moto tire. Jenson USA has the rim at $64 and the tire at $42. (http://www.jensonusa.com/store/basket.aspx)

Spokes, nipples, etc are kind of a wash no matter where you buy them. Competitive Cyclist has a DT Swiss X470 Disc 29er Rim for $49.95. Stans rims are $75 or $85. The velocity rim falls in between.

So, I'm still not sure about the 650 or 29 decision but based on quality, ease of build and strength, which rim should I use?

Attachments

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
I applaud Velocity for their 650b mountain bike rim pioneering effort, but Blunts are a well below average in quality and precision, WTB rims are far more refined. Blunts are not in the same league as Mavic or DT. If you want go higher quality 650b use Stans rims, even if with tubes. 650b would tighten up your steering feel using the same fork if that’s what you want

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.