Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep going back and forth looking at various fatbikes, plus tire hardtails, etc. I have a fully rigid 'dingle' speed KM with 29" tires. I could put wider tires on the bike, or get 27.5" wheels, etc. But changing back and forth between different tire sizes and wheels means I always end up with the wrong tires for the wrong conditions at the wrong time. Plus, it's not simple to change between a suspension fork
and a rigid. And gears are good, sometimes. But not all the time. I love single-speeding.

So of course I keep looking at the ICT, Wednesday, Pugsley. Krampus. Other brands, etc. Maybe an All
City Electric Queen (electric is in the name, no batteries here).

But, I really like my KM. Would it be completely redundant just to get the suspension fork version of a new KM? It comes with a dropper, and 27.5+ tires. Seems like a great deal for the price. I dunno, though. Two Karate Monkeys?

What do you all think?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
2 Monkeys are better than 1 :D ;) Seriously :D

I think if you plan on setting them up that different, but like the geo for either style of riding, then go for it, you will not have to be adjusting at least to the geo when you swap from bike to bike ;) Definite first world problem :p :D

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ha! You all have the right answers. @ Lynx: The KM geometry is very good in that the seat tube is steep enough. That is my one problem with the All City EQ, slack seat tube, and I use a zero offset seatpost with the saddle as far forward as possible to get centered over the bottom bracket properly even with the KM and my road bikes. Staying in the same position is a plus, too. I notice that when going from a road bike to the KM. It would be nice to keep everything even off-road. Glad to hear someone else has repeat bikes, awilli. My KM used to be a too small OG Krampus. I'd had it built from a frameset, I got all the parts correct, except frameset size. (Velocity Blunt 35 mm wheels work on the Krampus and KM). I needed a medium. That seat tube was so short I was maxed out on a Thomson 410 mm. I took 3 years to decide on the KM. Should have been a no brainer, but it always passed my notice, for some reason. I do worry Glen is right, though. But none of the other surlys have the nimbleness I've found in the KM. If I want something similar, but not a surly, the best route is probably to spend a lot more and get a real custom frameset. That is something I've avoided because I know of people who ended up with screwy geometry and fit.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nothing wrong with it! I am about to buy my second Krampus, had two KMs at one point (sold one because it was wrong size), still have two 1x1 and two Moonies (shared between me and Missus).
Don't you love it when you receive validation? Will that be a new and an OG Krampus?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Don't you love it when you receive validation? Will that be a new and an OG Krampus?
Yes, I have OG and I went with size small when I bought the frame. So it is on a bit small size for me. New one has few geometry tweaks I like, thru axles, Bruised Ego Purple rivals original Moonlit Swamp and I will be getting medium this time. Plan to keep both for now.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I have often thought about this too. Currently have a mint rigid SS KM that I love and would enjoy a suspension, geared, plus KM. Though I would be tempted to go with a Krampus. Or trade in my fat bike and get an ICT. Then that would make me a Surly-exclusive bike owner and I don't think I am cool with that for unexplained/unjustified reasons.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.