Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
el Camino
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride a single speed in the steepness of Idaho. I'm mostly fine, cuz of my insane strength and the raw power generated deep in my beer gut. But there are moments when I sure would like a granny gear. Is anyone doing anything interesting in this R&D department? I feel like these huge cassettes and derailleurs are getting pretty stale and clanky. All I need is a climbing gear and an "everything else" gear.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I've thought about running a GX/X01 DH 7 speed setup on my bike for a while now, the ratios on those 7speed cassettes are 10-23/12-25 if I recall.
Could also run a truncated/modded homemade cassette with 3-4 Surly SS cogs, a Zee/Saint rear derailleur and a friction shifter.

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
the idea behind dinglespeed is that you have two gear combos that use the same length chain. you'll still need a single-speed tensioning option of some sort- sliders, EBB, track ends, or a tensioner. it will take a bit of fiddling to change gears, but you can do so at the top of a big climb while trying to catch your breath.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,875 Posts
dinglespeeds take fiddling. often stopping.

so if you want a hassle free ride w/o stops

a kickshift is a) no tensioner b) no need to stop c) short learning curve can shift it about anytime anywhere

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
I built a 2spd kick back hub into a SS CX bike and after a couple of rides i replaced it with the SS wheel. Mainly b/c the extra gear was only about 33% and it was easier to remain standing using the taller of the two gears. I noticed a bit of hub drag and lapses between shifts which i didnt like b/cit messed up my cadence. I have a rigid niner with a 1 x 10 with a 30/42 granny i really like b/c it has so much range.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.