Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found a pike sl for 340 or so and an 05 dj1 for 324. i was planning on getting the pike for urban and dj but the dj1 is a sick deal also. just want it to be strong and work well for hopping up high structures and off, dirtjumping and even a little 4x. just need it to be stiff and strong. suggestions please cause i'm stuck

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ebfreerider510 said:
i found a pike sl for 340 or so and an 05 dj1 for 324. i was planning on getting the pike for urban and dj but the dj1 is a sick deal also. just want it to be strong and work well for hopping up high structures and off, dirtjumping and even a little 4x. just need it to be stiff and strong. suggestions please cause i'm stuck
is the pike sl a uturn, if it is id go with that because you can wind it down to a really low travel for urban, but then if u want to get more extreme you can go up to the 140 positon

G

·
I would pick the pike over the dj anyday, and im a true marz fan....

The SL has compression, rebound, and travel adjust from 90-140mm, its stiff and light, wicked fork...

Dj1 has preload adjust.... cool fork, but heavy and not adjustable....

I know you wouldnt be able to break a DJ1, but you wont break a Pike either....

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
Not true... DJ1 has external rebound adjustment.... DJ2 has internal.

Or my Marz manual with my DJ3 is wrong.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
standard235 said:
Not true... DJ1 has external rebound adjustment.... DJ2 has internal.

Or my Marz manual with my DJ3 is wrong.
Ah your both wrong!

The Dj2 has internal and external rebound !
The idea is that you can ajust the rang of rebound damping from the inside then fine tune the ride feel with the lower ajuster .

If it's a new Dj1 in white with the bolt on crown ...buy it !
You can slamm this fork to 80mm very easily for urban and it will outlast the Pike by years ans years of hard riding !!!

·
Stand back
4,216 Posts
pike

ebfreerider510 said:
I'd go with the Pike. I've been riding mine for dj/ park/ trail riding for a few months now, not a whimper, and it's waaay more adjustable than the dj1. You can set it up to 90mm and locked out for park (will still absorb big impacts, tho), or run it at full cush 140mm for dh, or anything in between. The only reason I'd go w/ a dj1 is if you're a fork abuser and have broken a pike already. Why carry around extra weight in the fork if you don't need it? Plus the Pike damper kicks the crap out of the dj1 for anything other than single impacts.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
RobsterCraw said:
New 06 Dj1 is not being sold in the US. I'm planning on getting it once I get to Switzerland. If I'm wrong and someone knows where I can get one PLEASE let me know.
Go for the Pike. DJ is heavvvvvvvyyyyyyyyy... And I doubt the o6 DJs are on sale yet. DJs also lack adjustability. Pike has Floodgate, compression, rebound, and travel. I don't even know where to start with this fork. Run it at 140 for the huck days, slam it down to 95 to play in the park. I love it. It's also ultra-stiff. Probably even stiffer than my old z150 with 20mm thru-axle.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
ebfreerider510 said:
where are they selling the pike for 340? is there an option to buy it with springs for a 240# fatass like myself? Or do I get stuck with the shatty puss springs designed for toddlers?

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Zonk0u said:
where are they selling the pike for 340? is there an option to buy it with springs for a 240# fatass like myself? Or do I get stuck with the shatty puss springs designed for toddlers?
You get get stuck with the shatty puss springs designed with toddlers. A heavier spring should be fairly inexpensive.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
You get get stuck with the shatty puss springs designed with toddlers. A heavier spring should be fairly inexpensive.
nickled and dimed. regardless of wheither its inexpensive or not, it's still more $ I think it's kinda lame that fat guys get stuck paying more... RS should offer me the option to exchange springs that fit me. or include them with the fork with purchase. :mad:

-rant ended-

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Zonk0u said:
nickled and dimed. regardless of wheither its inexpensive or not, it's still more $ I think it's kinda lame that fat guys get stuck paying more... RS should offer me the option to exchange springs that fit me. or include them with the fork with purchase. :mad:

-rant ended-
No fork company gives you all the springs... And as far as I know, I don't think any of them do spring swaps either.

·
Registered
710 Posts
WOW! A broken Pike! Good job!

Did you have to crash or what?

Mine is from the bad batch too, but hasn't broken yet. It's even gone through one burly frame by tearing off the head tube.

I'm now worried about my fork! Yes, I'm paranoid. :D

So far the replacement lowers are bomb proof. Only people I've seen (very few at that) on the internet that have broken the bad lowers are Freeriders and DJers who come up short on a landing and 50/50 it.

Anyone want to help me figure out a way to snap my arch so I can get it replaced, or will SRAM replace it for free regardless?

Ohh BTW, the Pike springs are only $30 and come with the Uturn Mechanism, so all you have to do is drop it in and go!

If they sold the fork with every spring, they would have to charge more for the fork. Would you like to pay for all 4 springs up front? They are not going to give them away for free, I'll tell you that!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.