Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
i like dirt.
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just got this 2006 DJ2 off Ebay and I got some probs:

First off, my stock Sun Ditch Witch wheels don't have a quick release and the fork is only compatible with QR axles. I didn't really think about that until I actually got it in the mail.

Second, when I just was looking at my fork and comparing it to my old one there is this ring-like thing around the bottom of the steerer that looks like its what holds the lower part of the headset on. I noticed that my new fork doesn't have that on it. Do I need to have that ring on my new one?

So I'm thinking of possibilies and I think that maybe I just have to buy a new front wheel.

Any help or suggestions?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Are you saying your wheels have a thru axle? That will still work in QR forks. But I think the DJ2 is a 20mm axle fork, not a QR, and that means you'll need to get a new wheel or get your current one rebuilt onto a new hub with the correct axle diameter.

The 'ring thing' is the bottom or crown race for the headset. You need to move it from the old fork to the new one. Sounds like this is your first fork upgrade- I'd just take it to a shop and tell them what you need done. It's easy to do it yourself, but also easy to permanently damage something if you mess up. Should take them like 10 minutes, $10 or less to move that race for you..

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
norton05 said:
Are you saying your wheels have a thru axle? That will still work in QR forks. But I think the DJ2 is a 20mm axle fork, not a QR, and that means you'll need to get a new wheel or get your current one rebuilt onto a new hub with the correct axle diameter.

The 'ring thing' is the bottom or crown race for the headset. You need to move it from the old fork to the new one. Sounds like this is your first fork upgrade- I'd just take it to a shop and tell them what you need done. It's easy to do it yourself, but also easy to permanently damage something if you mess up. Should take them like 10 minutes, $10 or less to move that race for you..
Ask them to watch, then you'll know for next time.

·
i like dirt.
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My front wheel does not have a thru axle. Its just got a bolt-on hub. The fork has a skewer or a quick release on it, so i guess i just gotta find a new front wheel.

I can't take off the crown race thingy it seems to be stuck on cause i've tried so frikkin hard to get it off and it just won't.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
the bolt on hub will work with teh qr fork, you may need to file the dropouts down a bit to get it in there but it will fit. the race will come off.. use a screw driver or punc and a hammer. flip the fork upside down and tap down going all the way around. it will eventually come offf.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
the 06 DJ2 is 20mm, NOT "skewer" or "quick-release" unless you call undoing 3 allen heads "quick", and you can't file it to make a 10mm bolt on hub work.

yeah, just do like fiddy was saying and bang'er upside down w/ your tool, going around and around and around until she gets off with a pop. no prying, that won't get you anywhere except smacked.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
InnovateorDie said:
Well it's got a skewer going through the dropouts. Isn't that what a quick release is?
hmm, no. You're confusing me here. Maybe you have a THIRD Dilemna on your hands. You might have been ripped off on ebay and not have gotten an "'06" DJ2. You may actually have an older DJ2, or possibly a DJ3. Is your fork brown w/ black crown and stanchions, or all black?

Is this "skewer" you're talking about skinny, like smaller than a pencil, with springs on the ends? That is what a "quick-release" skewer looks like. Has a handle on one end as well.
The DJ2, or about any other 20mm thru axle has a THICK tube like axle that has a large bolt that goes in one end. You cannot remove the wheel downwards unless you pull the thru-axle out, with a quick release skewer you just loosen it a little bit, and the whole wheel drops down and out...

·
i like dirt.
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah its skinnier than a pencil and has those springs on both ends with the handle on one side. You know what, I think it is a DJ3. So i guess I'll just get a new wheel.

Sorry for the confusion.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
InnovateorDie said:
Yeah its skinnier than a pencil and has those springs on both ends with the handle on one side. You know what, I think it is a DJ3. So i guess I'll just get a new wheel.

Sorry for the confusion.
hmmm, well then, that clears up quite a bit of confusion....

In that case, I don't think you need a new front wheel. If the one you have is 10mm bolt on (or is it 20mm thru? still have to verify that one), then bolt on is perfect for QR drops, even better than a skewer!

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
BikeSATORI said:
hmmm, well then, that clears up quite a bit of confusion....

In that case, I don't think you need a new front wheel. If the one you have is 10mm bolt on (or is it 20mm thru? still have to verify that one), then bolt on is perfect for QR drops, even better than a skewer!
Actually satori I have an actual quick release skewer and axle with the springs and all running through my 20mm axle and it holds the caps of the axle in place.

I can take a picture of it if you wish. I still need to use hex keys to remove the wheel.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
snaky69 said:
Actually satori I have an actual quick release skewer and axle with the springs and all running through my 20mm axle and it holds the caps of the axle in place.

I can take a picture of it if you wish. I still need to use hex keys to remove the wheel.
you've got to be kidding.... :confused:
did you strip out your thru axle or something?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.