Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Yeah, that was sad. Both younger guys with families. I'm still interested to know what happened.

Stories like this make me want to hang up my road bike for good. Just doesn't seem worth it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Very sad. My condolences to their families. Perhaps people should start talking about the danger levels of road biking. Lets be honest here . . . road biking is probably one of the most dangerous sports you could ever participate in. Skinny tires buckle at the slightest impact, the speeds are super fast, and the drivers in Salt Lake City or any other city are absolutely nuts and are not looking out for road bikes. Most personal injury lawyers will tell you that if you ride a street motorcycle the statics are horribly not in your favor. Every road motorcyclist I know has wrecked or been hit by a car. Road bikes are in the same class. Insurance companies know that you will wreck. Road bikers should consider the same level of risk and decide if it is in their interest to pursue the sport. Would you participate in a sport that all but guarantees you a car/bike accident or a high speed ejection on to pavement? In the last year I have heard of at least 5 almost fatal road bike accidents among friends and acquaintances. The risks are sobering.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Very sad. My condolences to their families. Perhaps people should start talking about the danger levels of road biking. Lets be honest here . . . road biking is probably one of the most dangerous sports you could ever participate in. Skinny tires buckle at the slightest impact, the speeds are super fast, and the drivers in Salt Lake City or any other city are absolutely nuts and are not looking out for road bikes. Most personal injury lawyers will tell you that if you ride a street motorcycle the statics are horribly not in your favor. Every road motorcyclist I know has wrecked or been hit by a car. Road bikes are in the same class. Insurance companies know that you will wreck. Road bikers should consider the same level of risk and decide if it is in their interest to pursue the sport. Would you participate in a sport that all but guarantees you a car/bike accident or a high speed ejection on to pavement? In the last year I have heard of at least 5 almost fatal road bike accidents among friends and acquaintances. The risks are sobering.
My condolences to the families and the community in which the two riders were loved. This is tragic beyond belief.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts