Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone out there using two different bikes for different courses? I have a 29er fully, but was thinking of building a 26er hardtail for less technical courses or tracks with a lot of tight corners/switchbacks. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I have 2 29ers.
A Lenz Lev that I use at most races...
And a Canfiled Yelli Screamy h/t...built it as a winter bike....but will be using it in a few races that don't need the f/s.
Same drive train and brake set ups....
Can swap wheels, etc between them.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
IronXterra12 said:
Is anyone out there using two different bikes for different courses? I have a 29er fully, but was thinking of building a 26er hardtail for less technical courses or tracks with a lot of tight corners/switchbacks. What are your thoughts?
There's a small number of pros doing this, but IMO it's too clever by half for mere mortals. I don't even like swapping tires, much less entire bikes, if I want to ride confidently.

If you were talking too totally different disciplines (i.e. XC vs downhill/super D) I'd feel differently.

·
Your Best Friend
5,659 Posts
I picked up a carbon HT 29er this season to compliment my FS 29er. I used the FS 29er for two solid years of XC and endurance races. Having done that, I definitely saw the need for a HT and something lighter/stiffer/racier. I love that this year I will have a "horses for courses" option. I too can swap wheels back and forth if I need to which is nice. Both bikes are running the same tire setup as of now although I don't see that as staying the case.

As far as bike feel, going back and forth, I don't really see it becoming an issue. If you spend enough time riding your bikes, your body will develop a muscle memory of how that bike fits. Within 10-20 minutes on it each time and you will feel right at home. I notice the biggest difference after I go from riding my road bike for hours on end, to the FS 29er. I feel like I'm sitting straight up and about to fall over the back of the bike, a few minutes later and I'm fine.

Go for it.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I do, and don't have any problem switching between the two. Like Silentfoe, it takes about 10 min or less for me to feel fully confident on the new bike.

BTW, it's a 26" FS for tight, twisty, technical trails & a 29er HT for the other type. I usually take both to endurance races and start out on the 29er and end up on the FS if I get tired or have a mechanical.

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
Silentfoe said:
I picked up a carbon HT 29er this season to compliment my FS 29er. I used the FS 29er for two solid years of XC and endurance races. Having done that, I definitely saw the need for a HT and something lighter/stiffer/racier. I love that this year I will have a "horses for courses" option. I too can swap wheels back and forth if I need to which is nice. Both bikes are running the same tire setup as of now although I don't see that as staying the case.

As far as bike feel, going back and forth, I don't really see it becoming an issue. If you spend enough time riding your bikes, your body will develop a muscle memory of how that bike fits. Within 10-20 minutes on it each time and you will feel right at home. I notice the biggest difference after I go from riding my road bike for hours on end, to the FS 29er. I feel like I'm sitting straight up and about to fall over the back of the bike, a few minutes later and I'm fine.

Go for it.
I did the 29er full suspension thing for a season (Jet9). I now ride ti 29er hardtail (Lyns). I just don't get the 29er + rear suspension concept. If I was to build up another full susp, it will be a 26er for sure. You will get faster acceleration AND rear squish. Sorry to hijack the thread, but splain me the 29er + rear susp need. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.