Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Weight? My guess it's solid stock and weighs about 100 lbs.

Edit: Maybe only 50 or 60.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hmmmm i don't know anything about fabrication techniques but couldn't they create normal hollow tubes and shape them like this on the outside? It'd keep the weight down at least dunno about cost though. I think it'd be pretty cool as commuter or something.

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Notice the BB shell. Its huge. Thats an EBB. Thats a single speed:thumbsup:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Aaron D said:
square stock heated and twisted american bb not ebb (eccentric)

probably in the 45lbs area
Looks like they started with hex stock. Actually, you don't have to heat the stock to get it to twist like that. You just need a way to hold one end and a way to turn the other, then wind it up. I have done a lot of twisted metal like that for decorative work like handrails and lighting fixtures.

I would like to believe that it is some kind of hollow tube, but I have never seen any like that. The seat tube is the only one that doesn't make sense for solid stock. I wonder if they bored it after twisting it? A lot of work for a POS frame and I would agree with everyone else who thinks it must weigh a bunch.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here is a little follow up info for anyone that is interested. I asked around about twisted tube and learned that there is a couple of way to twist tube like that.

One method uses a series of rollers that the tube passes through as it spins. This is used to make tubes for fluid processing industries so that a specific flow, or swirling, can be achieved in the fluid. I suspect that this would be far to costly for a POS like that.

The second method is to insert a close fitting piece of lubricated bar stock inside a straight tube and then twist the tube. The bar stock keeps the tube from collapsing. After the twist is done, the bar is pulled out with a hydraulic ram.

This frame is still just a piece of junk, but for those wondering how it was made it is probably hollow tube that has been twisted. I can't imagine it would be very strong, but then I suspect it isn't really intended for any serious riding anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts