Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Unicycles are for clowns
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could you guys post some good photos of twisted lace patterns? It is my understanding that these were somewhat cool in the early 1990's? I can't find any good closeup photos or information on this pattern. I was hoping to find out information on spoke length, spoke count (ie can I use 32 hole) tension, and building information, etc.

If you guys don't have photos could you post your experience with these?

Thanks

·
Ride to Live Live to ride
15 Posts
Yep, I remember doing that a long time ago. I did it just to turn heads. I dont think it had any effect on the wheel other than they creaked a bit. I ended up selling all the wheels I built with the twists.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
This one is a Campy Atek 28 hole rim, and is both stiff and resilient. The effect of the twisting is that the effective length of each spoke is much shorter, and the wheel rides very precisely. As to the resilience...my wife backed right over the wheel with our Jeep. The Am Classic skewer died a horrible, asphaltic death, but the wheel sprang back STRAIGHT.

Attachments

·
Unicycles are for clowns
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Project #2

I have a 1991 Monster Fat, in "Last Page Pink" color. So far I believe I have accumulated full 1991 DX all NOS (thanks those on the forum for information and some parts). Just missing a crankset and front derailleur so far. I would like to have the wheel build look a little trick, hence this thread. The wheels are DX hubs 32 hole with Araya Rm-20 hard anodized color rims (NOS). Object is to have as much 1991-1992 NOS stuff on it as possible, so far doing well at very reasonable prices. Girlfriend and friends I ride with hardly even know what a Fat Chance is, so they lack the excitement that I do. Will post pictures when completed, may be some time down the road. How is the Tomac coming?

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
kuna said:
I have a 1991 Monster Fat, in "Last Page Pink" color. So far I believe I have accumulated full 1991 DX all NOS (thanks those on the forum for information and some parts). Just missing a crankset and front derailleur so far. I would like to have the wheel build look a little trick, hence this thread. The wheels are DX hubs 32 hole with Araya Rm-20 hard anodized color rims (NOS). Object is to have as much 1991-1992 NOS stuff on it as possible, so far doing well at very reasonable prices. Girlfriend and friends I ride with hardly even know what a Fat Chance is, so they lack the excitement that I do. Will post pictures when completed, may be some time down the road. How is the Tomac coming?
I assure you we'll be excited! :D

It's coming good. The most difficult parts to source have been found (also due to major hook ups from forum members here).
It won't be a factory issue looking JTR, but rather a near replica of his 93 race bike.

I trust you'll be riding the piss out of this Monster Fat (regardless of whether or not you opt for new paint)?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hey guys, be warned.

I built a rear road whell twisted in the early 90s, also in an effort to turn heads.

By that point in time, I had built over three hundred wheels - so i (thought I) knew what I was doing.

Anyway, they creaked, took ages to settle in, and even then weren't very strong.

Perhaps it was becasue it was a rear?

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
Been over this before...

but over half my own wheels are twisted and never had problems. If you're getting creaking noises, its from not tensioning and relieving properly, and its your wheelbuilding skills which I'd call into question, not the lacing pattern. There was a thread on them in the wheels and tires forum about 6 months ago.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.