Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,168 Posts
I've be XT triggers for years and years. But have played with twisters and saw their benefit. Just didn't like it. I think a lot of it is personal preference. If you're bike came with twisters, ride 'em till they break then decide.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
I don't know. Having been a twist shifter user from the beginning, I'd almost say it's what you started with that just became your preference or intuitive choice. However, I've owned and constantly build and work on bikes at the shop with all manner of shifters. I'll occasionally ride a new model shop bike that has triggers also. I don't hate triggers...SRAM or Shimano...but they still don't provide the exacting and multiple shifts that I prefer. The only MTB shifters I ever hated were those STI MTB Shimano outfits...yaaack! Some riders in our area who like triggers actually like to use a twist shifter for the front derailleur for its unlimited range of trim adjustment on the front chainrings. All in all I don't think there is a true performance difference between the two styles of shifters as long as both are higher quality models. Preference and/or habit will probably be the biggest determining factor.

·
Registered
162 Posts
As stated above by TNC the ability to make minute adjustments on the front derailleur is a plus to me. It is also quite nice to be able to drop/pick-up several gears with a quick twist, although some strategic pedaling is required for really seamless shifting.
To me Sram X-0/X-9 cant be beat! I sometimes play around on my wifes bike it has rapid fire type push/pull finger/thumb shifters....yeah, I cannot come to grips (pun intended) with them. I have a friend who has (as determined by him) some high speed low drag shifters that are on the brake levers, I'd sooner ride Sram X-5's.
Keep in mind what you ride is usually secondary to that you ride!
YZF571

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
I'm a former SRAM grip shifter user from 1995 to 2003, using ESP from 1997-2003

I am currently using SRAM triggers but have been contemplating going back to twist shifters (I went to triggers during my freeride phase) since I mainly ride XC these days. On downhilling and freeriding, the triggers were better for landing jumps and drops.

But for XC, I liked the twisters because you could shift multiple gears in both directions. I also liked the micro indexing on the front derailleur as opposed to just 1-2-3

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
I've got both types, but if it's my choice i'm definitely in the twister camp. You can dump all your gears in 4' of trail in 1 hand motion, your thumbs don't accidently tap the trigger release (hello sram?) they don't stick out to get broken off in wrecks, they're super easy to service, the gar indicator is out of the way, and they're cheaper and lighter. The trick is to buy x7 or above, they all share the same guts, and to mount them inboard enough so your hands don't rest on them all the time. I think this means 1 finger braking is necessary.

·
pedal pusher
2,712 Posts
Twisters are lighter, don't have any parts hanging off to be broken in a crash, and they can skip through huge sets of gears--in both directions--with a mere twist.

I wouldn't trade mine for anything.

·
Air Pirate
2,037 Posts
Ran XT pods for years, Finally the spring or whatever inside stretched out making it hard to get good adjustment and shifts. Decided to go with a set of twisters just to see how I liked them. So far, with several months using them I like what they offer. The simplicity is great. I'm not sure if there is a quality or materials difference between the top SRAM compatible level (X-0) and the top Shimano compatible level (Attack), but they seem to be wearing well and handling lots of punishment.

·
Registered
702 Posts
twist

Beyond the simplicity and performance of Sram twist shifters I love the rear derailleur cable connection without the big stupid loop.It's also been my experience(or lack of) that rear derailleur adjustment is less twitchy than Shimano.

·
im4Gsus
2,203 Posts
pros: no thumb pain. front derailleur micro adjustment as chain moves thru rear der.
cons: none, performance wise in 7 yrs...however, shorter brake levers are a bit far reach.

·
K n e e m o i
506 Posts
Twisties by far. (I use Xo)

1. Micro adjustment in the front.
2. Can shift from 9 to 1 with one twist. (rare occasions)
3. Can keep a firm grip on the handlebars and downshift to power up the climbs.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I've used both and have only one issue with twist shifters (X0 being what I used) that being a sore thumb joint where it meets the hand. Don't know if it is hand size (though I think not as I wear large/x-large gloves) or just how my hands are but twist shifters never have felt "right". Try to take either kind out for an extended ride in the dirt before making the change to ensure you feel comfortable with your choice.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
dmccune said:
I've used both and have only one issue with twist shifters (X0 being what I used) that being a sore thumb joint where it meets the hand. Don't know if it is hand size (though I think not as I wear large/x-large gloves) or just how my hands are but twist shifters never have felt "right". Try to take either kind out for an extended ride in the dirt before making the change to ensure you feel comfortable with your choice.
Yeah, XO and X9 grip shifters are different shaped at the rubber grip. Those who don't like one often like the other. The X9 are my favorite, as they're a little slimmer.

·
Registered
555 Posts
i"ve got one of each

One bike set up with a XTR RF drivetrain and one with a Sram X9Twisties. After a long test period, I have to admit I give the Sram a slight edge. The shifting is intuitive, meaning I just have to think about shifting and its done. It is especially better upshifting(to a smaller rear cog) than the shimano, and has needed far less adjustments over its life. Less effort for the old arthritic joints too. Jim

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
I use both. Honestly, it is easy to switch back and forth between the two. Both Shift crisply. Dropping a bunch of gears is not an issue either with triggers. Weight? Who cares. My bike is almost 33 lbs.

I prefer triggers only because I'd rather not have any part of my grip rotate when I stick a landing. YMMV.

·
No. Just No.
5,405 Posts
If you like to vocalize moto-throttle sounds whenever you ramp up the pace on the trail, it will seem less out of place if you can mimic with the twist action on the shifter.

·
Blind biker
301 Posts
Ive used twist shifters since i started riding a bike then this year I got my first set of trigger shifters from shinamo and I love them. Its easier too shift while maintaining a good grip on the handle bars and they are a whole lot easier to use period.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
Random Drivel said:
I prefer triggers only because I'd rather not have any part of my grip rotate when I stick a landing. YMMV.
yah, my first mtb came with gripshift and i hated them for this reason. Those gripshift specific grips suck ass, ya gotta buy a full length grip and cut it down a bit.

·
Alien Surf Team
1,168 Posts
For my daughter twist-grips made shifting from smaller-to-larger gears on the front and the rear very difficult, and in some cases she couldn't shift at all. i.e. unable to get her bike into the lowest gear in the rear. I changed to low-end triggers and it was night and day for her. Changed shifting from a miserable experience to butter.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.