Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wednesday (11/23/05), in anticipation of caloric excess on Turkey Day, and in order to warrant a subsequent dose of 'tryptophoria' for the remainder of the week, and

For those who've been following recent discussions of some of the epic stuff in Capitol, here's another 'Ugly' to add to the list. I want to call it 'Twin Peaks' since it passes in close proximity to the Peak in one direction, and Larch Mountain in the other, or simply because you 'peak' twice at roughly the same spot. It's the 'inner limits' analogue to the Outer Limits, crossing the forest from one side to the other, and back again.

From Porter Creek the length of Green Line #6 to Margaret McKenny CG. From there, up #40 near the Sherman Valley 'Y' and the length of the Mt. Molly 'Loop' to its intersection with #30, then up towards the Peak and around Larch Mountain (clockwise) before returning to Porter along #3: 46 miles +-, 10 hours overall (riding all-rigid, mind you), cumulative elevation (TBD).

(Hey, Dave_schuldt, if you're out there, you missed a perfect window for that post-November Mean Green you wanted to do. Trail conditions were optimal and I was comfortable throughout in nothing but a nylon top, and my feet stayed DRY (that 50-degrees rule only applies anyway when it's raining side-ways and you're soaking wet). 'Stayed warm and comfy even under lights for 3 hours towards the end, and during the long final descent, which, owing to the dimness, deposited me on the trail somewhere in advance of my bike on only three occasions. :)

Hopefully, I can convince the Cap website to post this one too -- and generate a topogram, which should look like two pyramids, one after the other -- including more specifics for those interested. This ride completes my 'conceptual' view of the Cap trail system anyway, described elsewhere, so I hereby officially RETIRE from Cap epics now to relish my dotage and await reports from others . . .

Who will follow? :-]

·
born again
652 Posts
You're killing me...

Here I was feeling pretty smug about riding a Zilly 4-wheeler (Dungeness Loop) plus add-on (in good time, mind you) Wednesday and you were out putting together another epic 10 hour loop. I'm going to have to look at my DNR map and check this out, sounds like mostly green trails? Full rigid bike, no less.... It's got gearz, I hope! ;)

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
Like, cool man....

SRR blurted:
This ride completes my 'conceptual' view of the Cap trail system anyway, described elsewhere, so I hereby officially RETIRE from Cap epics now to relish my dotage and await reports from others . . .

Yeah, right.

Who will follow? :-]

Doh!

Monte
(haven't looked at the map yet, but it sounds cool already)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
gearz said:
. . .I'm going to have to look at my DNR map and check this out, sounds like mostly green trails? Full rigid bike, no less.... It's got gearz, I hope! ;)
Nope, only the first 22 miles are green -- the Green Line #6 portion -- and the initial ones along Iron Creek were pretty grim too (as they usually are), easily the worst part of the ride. I had to barefoot my way across a creek a mile into it and then my chain came apart shortly thereafter (and me without my glasses). Things got progressively better after that.

Yep, THREE chainrings, standard-drive no less and an 8 SPD cassette (but I sure missed that 9 SPD compact drive 22/34 combination). You know, some folks might think I'm pretty perverse for choosing a rigid rig this time but I think stripping the gears from any bike is even more perverse.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Monte said:
SRR blurted. . . so I hereby officially RETIRE from Cap epics now to relish my dotage and await reports from others . . .

Yeah, right.
Really, I'm done, unless . . . well . . if the wife chases me out of the house again, what else is a fella to do for an entire day?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
SRR said:
This ride completes my 'conceptual' view of the Cap trail system anyway, described elsewhere. . .
Some clarification, for the benefit of the few who seem to care. If you study the map and compare this ride with the other three 'Uglies' -- Big Red, Mean Green, and Outer Limits -- the logic for Twin Peaks (and its ugly sisters) should be more evident. Hopefully, the website will post this one too, with more details and some options I included with the submission, along with a high-lighted map for those who, like me, have an odd notion of what counts for recreation.

As for me, I don't know what else to do in Cap now, except perhaps recover some sanity and get back to more *normal* riding, or combine some of the above into some humongous figure eights (but Monte's already going to do that, he said).

So that's a wrap for Cap! or a rap of Crap! for/from this hairy-legger. Maybe I'll just stick to the test track at REI from now on . . . .

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Specifics

SRR said:
Hopefully, I can convince the Cap website to post this one too -- and generate a topogram, which should look like two pyramids, one after the other . . . .
And boy does it! Two huge humps with two smaller ones in between. For those interested, the first small one represents climbing out of Fall Creek enroute to Margaret McKenny; the second represents Mt. Molly, or that steep climb from the Sherman Valley Y before dropping again to the old Molly campground. The two big humps, well -- that justifies the name. Cool. :)

http://www.capitolforest.com/ridetwinpeaks.html

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
SRR said:
And boy does it! Two huge humps with two smaller ones in between. For those interested, the first small one represents climbing out of Fall Creek enroute to Margaret McKenny; the second represents Mt. Molly, or that steep climb from the Sherman Valley Y before dropping again to the old Molly campground. The two big humps, well -- they certainly illustrate the fitness of the name, eh? Cool. :)

http://www.capitolforest.com/ridetwinpeaks.html
Hmmm, 46 miles, 7500', sounds sorta flat.

mOnTe

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Monte said:
Hmmm, 46 miles, 7500', sounds sorta flat.

mOnTe
Ya think? Man, I knew I shoulda converted that rigid frame to single-speed. Come to think of it, I barely used those two little rings at all. ;-)

Actually, this ride's profile, but for the duplication, looks a lot like a typical summer ride, wouldn't you agree? Long protracted climb, long extended descent -- 'mentally' flat for sure. That's why this would be (and was) my last pick of the 4 logical possibilities that my Cap trail matrix idea yields. There are more 'actual' possibilities that would be better rides. Even Big Red, which most closely resembles it stats-wise, is more fun, I think, and seemed more challenging, and not only because it was the first. I've done the latter 3 times now, more than the any of the others, and will likely do it again. But I don't think I'd be much interested again in this one, as its best portions are already incorporated into some of the others, which don't so closely resemble that familiar 'pyramid'. The main appeal here -- apart from completing the logical picture -- is that it uniquely incorporates the Mt. Molly trail and you finally get to descend #6 from the Peak, since Mean Green has you coming from the other direction.

All that remains is the 'Capitol Century' (Big Red + Mean Green) and 'Happy Cappy' (Outer Limits + Twin Peaks) but I'm leaving those for you and gearz. The last is an apt designation, I think, because you'll both have earned adjoining rubber rooms at Western State when you're done (if you don't already qualify before you begin). I live nearby and look forward to hearing all about it, if you're allowed visitors. :D :D :D

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
SRR said:
....because you'll both have earned adjoining rubber rooms at Western State when you're done (if you don't already qualify before you begin). I live nearby and look forward to hearing all about it, if you're allowed visitors. :D :D :D
Man, I can't get no respect around here.

M:eek:nte

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Monte say:

Man, I can't get no respect around here. . .

Oh, the respect is there; you're just feeling GUILTY:

Last big ride was in October. Did Moran in November.

Wazzupwiddat? :-|

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.