Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old hard tail that fits me to the proverbial "T". I can grind for hours on it.
I have set it up as a gravel bike with occasional trails to cut down on backtracking. The problem is that I do not get good small hit reactions from the shocks I have tried. Both old-ish, but solid, R/S Ruby's and a Fox XC fork with 32 stanchions, both with positive and negative air chambers.
Any tweaks like different oil weight, air pressure, etc.
I've tried different air pressure combos, but just can't make it happen.
Am I piss'n in the wind?

· Registered
6,932 Posts
If you're on an old hard tail with 1.9" tires at 40 psi, you can "fuggedaboutit" when it comes to small hit compliance. If that's not it, and you don't mind some extra weight, Fasst Flexx bars are pretty sweet. Old stuff (other than me) just isn't that good, so if those are old forks, when was the last time you serviced them? Really, some more info would help.

· furker
919 Posts
....with positive and negative air chambers
The traditional way to increase small bump compliance is to put 5-15 more PSI in the negative chamber than there is in the positive chamber if they can be set separately. The fork should suck down slightly. Then set the rebound a few clicks slower than normal.

The downside of that setup is it can pack up under heavy repetitive hits, and have reduced travel from the shock sucking down. But neither of those would be a problem under the riding conditions you described.

There could also just be too much stiction keeping the fork from working the way it should. That's a whole other rabbit hole to go down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.