Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi,
I'm planning to buy a TCX Advanced SX, this one:
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tcx-advanced-sx-2017

All is cool, I simply would like a 10/42 instead of the stock SRAM 11/42. What is the less expensive way to get about it? Can I simply swap the 11t for a 10t?

Thanks!!
No. You would need an xd driver for a 10-42 cassette. The current freehub body is the traditional style that can't take anything smaller than 11. I don't know if the stock wheels are able to be swapped to an xd. Plus a 10-42 cassette isn't cheap either.

The 11-13 jump is the most annoying one on that cassette. Simply swapping the 11 for a 10 would make it a 30% jump going 10 to 13. That would be awful.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
That's probably the better option. Ride it a little with the stock 11-42 before committing to that. I'm really happy with a 42 front and 11-40 cassette. I haven't found the need to go "faster" than 42 x 11. Even on steep, loose gravel that's some low gearing.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Everybody has their opinion of what works, but I have had zero complaints with the 42 x 11-40 set-up the last few years. I have done plenty of spirited group rides too. Just try the stock setup before committing to a bunch of other stuff. A 44 front and 42 rear is still a super low climbing gear, so maybe just a front chainring swap at some point might be all you need. There's plenty of other threads around here showing that a 2x 11 speed system is really only 13 distinct gears in most cases.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks!
By the way, does anyone know if there is a way to get a peak at incoming new TCX models? Dealers told me that Giant would officially show the new bikes in June (in Europe at least). Is there any way to get a look at the new models (I'm not hugely fond of the current models' colours.....) ....?

·
Registered
DVO Diamond and Topaz 3
296 Posts
I've made do with 11-32 when I didnt like the 11-42. I'm looking for a takeoff 4700 tiagra groupset for the best option.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all of you for the advise!
As a side note, and as I haven't done the purchase yet, does any of you have direct experience of the new Revolt Advanced 0? I'm not into competitions. I do like to ride with roadie friends but also to go totally "offroad" if I feel like it. The Revolt 0 being substantially more expensive in Europe: is it worth it? Or should I stick to the TCX?
Thanks again!

·
Registered
477 Posts
If its not too late... here's some feedback on the TCS Advanced SX ( I have a couple of years on mine).
I love the bike. It handles really well. The carbon frame is the perfect balance of stiff performance and rough road compliance.

Regarding the PG1130 11-42 cassette... it is a boat anchor! If you don't have major hills, go to an 11-32 (I use an 11-32 on the bike for cross). If you do have hills, buy a Shimano XTR 11-40 cassette, lighter and cheaper than SRAM options. (I run the 11-40 in 'Gravel' trim mode).

The 1x works fine for gravel and OK for road. If I were looking for one bike that will do it all (road and gravel) I would go for a 2x bike. Since you are also looking at the Revolt... you could spend some more dollars and get 2x. With those extra dollars, you will get better Shimano shifters and brakes. Apex has been OK, but the hydro levers are iffy as they age.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, is geometry. The TCX is old-school 'cross geometry. The head-tube is super short (low front end/bars). This has made it very difficult for me to get a comfortable fit on the bike. Low is fine for a 45 minute cross race, but for a 5 hour gravel race... it gets old! The Revolt has a much more up-to-date sloping top-tube configuration (taller front end/bars) which will be much more comfortable.

I built-up a set of new wheels for the bike to save some weight. The stock wheels are pretty solid, just not super-light. I did not elect to go to an XD driver, I prefer the Shimano options.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the advice!!
I actually rode for a few hours a friend's tcx Advanced and did not find it tiring...BUT: as I haven't bought it yet, a noticed that
-1 The new tcx Advanced are out (in the US at least)
-2 The new revolt Advanced also (the Advanced 2 has a lovely colour, at least for me)
What do you think of them?

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.