Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh yeah! I can see I gotta be careful when I ask you guys questions because you all come up with some serious / no nonsense answers; thank you. I think I've got a much better idea of what the 6-Pack might be like and I gotta say I loved the response you made about the "Best non-ellsworth-ellsworth;" priceless.

From the feedback/threads about the X-5's, it looks like there's no getting around the steep nature of the head angle. What's confusing me is when I know the head angle is comparatively steep, but someone tells me the HA changes with the amount of sag. When I hear the head angle gets slack when there's more sag, I loose perspective because at that point, there's no way for me to estimate how the bike might ride-that is unless I take it for a test ride. Does this make sense? Turtles are NOT mechanically inclined.


The Moment I saw was about 35lbs and the owner was about 33-35 years old and built very lean/strong; he said the bike was awesome. For me-a 35 lb bike is too much to pedal uphill. I know what you guys are saying about the way a well ballanced 4-bar bike climbs compared to others-no argument there-the'yre great.

If I was 32-35 years old and fit-I'd be the first one to jump on a 35 lb bike. But at 58 and fat, it's nice having a sub-30 lb bike that climbs like a goat. You guys were right on when you said the 6-Pack is a lot of bike and built for an agressive rider-not exactly the best choice for a Turtle. I love having 6 inches of plush rear wheel travel-it's so easy on my back-it's the best and it makes it possible for me to roll over stuff I have a hard time with. But at the end of the day-I can't manage a 35 lb bike.

For now, I can't think of anything better than what I've got-the 5-Spot is the closest thing to a perfect set up for me. I would be happy with a 6 inch Spot, but I not beause I need it for bigger jumps/drops-I just really enjoy having a super plush ride.

Do you guys think the new Fox rear shock would give the 5-Spot more of a plush ride than the Romic, is it worth the extra cash? Thanks again for all the helpful feedback and the good stuff you talk about on this site. I gotta say I think it's pretty cool to see emails from Dave T. and Casey.

Turtle 1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,231 Posts
Careful with that "weight" thing

Turtle, with all due respect ;) the difference between a 35 lb bike and a 30 pound bike is :

A. Your backpack
B. The weight of 2 empty 31mm wheelsets or
C. One sixpack of Bud cans

The diff between a 32lb bike and a 45LB bike is a noticable difference. Especially if the heavy one is not efficient. But the energy expended riding two real world Turners, set's say a 5 Spot (5") at 32 lbs and an RFX (6") at 37 lbs is not going to break you at the end of the day. I would guess the anticipated "6 Pack" would be great for you if you crave the additional travel.
 

·
No, that's not phonetic
Joined
·
14,313 Posts
If the difference in frame weights is 1#, then the difference in complete bikes using the same components would also be 1#. If your Spot has coil shocks, then you could build the Pack lighter than the Spot using air shocks. There are some damn stout and great performing air shocks these days. And if people start whining about how it is a shame to put air shocks and xc parts on a "freeride" frame, I say fock 'em. It's your money. Put slicks on it and ride it down the bike path all day if you want...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
30-35lb bike

mtnbikerx said:
Turtle, with all due respect ;) the difference between a 35 lb bike and a 30 pound bike is :

A. Your backpack
B. The weight of 2 empty 31mm wheelsets or
C. One sixpack of Bud cans

The diff between a 32lb bike and a 45LB bike is a noticable difference. Especially if the heavy one is not efficient. But the energy expended riding two real world Turners, set's say a 5 Spot (5") at 32 lbs and an RFX (6") at 37 lbs is not going to break you at the end of the day. I would guess the anticipated "6 Pack" would be great for you if you crave the additional travel.
Right right right! I have to agree-especially when I stop and think about the differrence in weight between the two bikes. Even if the 6-Pack weighs as much as the RFX= 9lbs, it's still only going to be 2lbs more than my 5-Spot. You're right about two pounds not being a deal breaker; so bring on the six pack!

I could always swap out my Z-1 for a Nixon and drop a pound, but then again, the new all mountain forks from Marzocchi might be a better set up.

Thanks for taking the time to help put things in perspective.
Turtle 1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Difference by the numbers

tscheezy said:
If the difference in frame weights is 1#, then the difference in complete bikes using the same components would also be 1#. If your Spot has coil shocks, then you could build the Pack lighter than the Spot using air shocks. There are some damn stout and great performing air shocks these days. And if people start whining about how it is a shame to put air shocks and xc parts on a "freeride" frame, I say fock 'em. It's your money. Put slicks on it and ride it down the bike path all day if you want...
Thanks Tscheezy; After I read your post I stepped back and remembered that one and one is two-and two pounds is the maxium difference in weight between the 6-Pack and my 5-Spot and with any luck-it may be less. If the difference is only 1-2 lbs-I can surely live with that. If not-like you said, I could go with one of the new air shocks. I agree wtih you about the air shocks-I think they're pretty cool. Thanks,
Turtle1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,231 Posts
At the End of the Day ...

Turtle 1 said:
Right right right! I have to agree-especially when I stop and think about the differrence in weight between the two bikes. Even if the 6-Pack weighs as much as the RFX= 9lbs, it's still only going to be 2lbs more than my 5-Spot. You're right about two pounds not being a deal breaker; so bring on the six pack!

I could always swap out my Z-1 for a Nixon and drop a pound, but then again, the new all mountain forks from Marzocchi might be a better set up.

Thanks for taking the time to help put things in perspective.
Turtle 1
I've found those little yearnings for bike stuff do not easily fade just because you're trying to be "respnsible" (so foreign to me I can't even spell it). Give in to your lust for the next Turner, you know you want it. Get a 6'er when they come out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,653 Posts
Get in line

Get in line for the 6'er, boys, it starts behind me..... :D

My only issue now is Highline/6-pack, or.....both?

But, then again, if Yeti comes out with a coil version of the 575 at 6" of travel, that will be another tough bike in the "trail" category. I'm still skeptical of the 5th Air on the 575's long term durability. Not that there's been any problems with this one, I just see them fail more than the Fox's. We have a guy who has gone through a few 5th Air's on his 575 and ordered a Fox mounting kit from us to put an RP3 on it. Basically giving up, and I can't blame him.

Jim, I'm curious about durability of the Maverick you have on your 5-spot. What type of abuse you put it through? 3,4,5' drops? Regular rock pounding? Wondering what a 6+6 Maverick/6-pack would be like. Granted, its pure speculation at this point, but I think the head angle will slacken to around 68.5 degrees or so, based upon the maverick's 517mm length, and Dave's statement that the 6 will be 68 degrees with a typical 535mm. If the Maverick can stand the abuse I plan on giving the rear of the bike, then it would be a worthy compliment. If not, well, plenty of other options out there.

As if you haven't noticed, I'm not terribly concerned with weight, but where I do pay attention, is weight to durability ratio, and if I can shave some poundage in one place, I'll typically add it in another to make a bike more durable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,231 Posts
Caution .. thread breaker

esquire said:
Get in line for the 6'er, boys, it starts behind me..... :D

My only issue now is Highline/6-pack, or.....both?

But, then again, if Yeti comes out with a coil version of the 575 at 6" of travel, that will be another tough bike in the "trail" category. I'm still skeptical of the 5th Air on the 575's long term durability. Not that there's been any problems with this one, I just see them fail more than the Fox's. We have a guy who has gone through a few 5th Air's on his 575 and ordered a Fox mounting kit from us to put an RP3 on it. Basically giving up, and I can't blame him.

Jim, I'm curious about durability of the Maverick you have on your 5-spot. What type of abuse you put it through? 3,4,5' drops? Regular rock pounding? Wondering what a 6+6 Maverick/6-pack would be like. Granted, its pure speculation at this point, but I think the head angle will slacken to around 68.5 degrees or so, based upon the maverick's 517mm length, and Dave's statement that the 6 will be 68 degrees with a typical 535mm. If the Maverick can stand the abuse I plan on giving the rear of the bike, then it would be a worthy compliment. If not, well, plenty of other options out there.

As if you haven't noticed, I'm not terribly concerned with weight, but where I do pay attention, is weight to durability ratio, and if I can shave some poundage in one place, I'll typically add it in another to make a bike more durable.
Brian, not many drops and then only 2 to 3 feet, but many choppy trails ridden as fast as I can. Let's say the frequency of fork movement is rapid and uses 30% of the travel in most cycles. The average ride for me is 2 hours of technical single track with nearly no coasting and absolutely no footpath work. If I stop pedalling the bike stops. I weigh 210 and my technique is, ummm, what technique? The Maverick has been nose dived into the other wall of a ditch many times because my manual came up short. That said, I rarely endo thaks to the Mav's travel and stiffness.

I'd guess one measure of the DUC durability is the total lack of complaints about the fork on these boards!
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top