Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the massive response to the snake pics thread, I'm wondering if anyone's happened upon any turtles in their off-road exploits. For whatever reason, I've encountered 3 of them on the move so far this season.

·
Steel is real.
1,268 Posts
Here’s some turtle passion for you. No offence but this is getting really ridiculous now. Why not try typing something about those rides that includes something about turtles at least.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Never saw a turtle, but had a lady looking for her pet turtle when I was riding one day. She lived pretty close to the trail and apparently her turtle had a habit of running away to the trails. I didn't know those guys were that quick. :) . Hope she found it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
No lie- some of the snapping turtles we have around here are absolutely viscious!

And no that's not me holding this monster!

·
Dab Master
456 Posts
I stumbled across these 2 gettin busy while trail building. Of course the skinny I built next was named "turtle love":

Look at that face - just priceless :p

And here's Turtle Love:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hollis said:
I saw this lil lady on my way to the garage to get my bike :eek:
That is one of the ugliest things I have ever seen. Where the heck do you live?

More importantly: did it wave at you when you went by? If not, maybe you should start a thread.:)

·
DeForest Stump
972 Posts
This Painted turtle was getting ready to lay her eggs when I happened by.

·
wanna dance?
1,074 Posts
WarriorPro said:
And no that's not me holding this monster!
I was gonna say, you are ten kinds of nuts holding that sucker. Looong necks, and shoooort tempers. Lots of fun at campfires though!

I saw a tortoise in Italy that I stopped to admire. The farmer came out to chat and said it'd been a resident of the hillside there through seven of his (the farmers) families generations, and it was a very good tortoise. I stood there transfixed for a minute. When it was young, it saw knights on horses with torches riding up the dirt path to sack the castle, which I was now gleefully riding toward on my fancy high-tech FS bike looking like a deranged circus clown.

As it paused briefly to look in my direction, several wild looks of amazement and astonishment completely failed to cross its face, and I could tell it was clearly not impressed by the amazing technological advancements we've made in materials science and suspension theory. I tried to explain softly to it about the trillions of dollars and man-hours we've spent in the time since, on the space program, war efforts, military-industrial revolutions and how trickle-down, over-supply, bubble-bursts, and cold wars have led to better engineering and production in all aspects of modern life, and how we can now afford environmental and social responsibility, and noble humanitarian causes... but it rather seemed to disregard this, in favor of a particularly green bit of alfalfa and a good spot to soak itself in sunshine.

I didn't ask if I could "ride" it, but I'll admit the thought crossed my mind.

·
Registered
751 Posts
HotBlack said:
and it was a very good tortoise. I stood there transfixed for a minute. When it was young, it saw knights on horses with torches riding up the dirt path to sack the castle, which I was now gleefully riding toward on my fancy high-tech FS bike looking like a deranged circus clown..
knights on horses sacking castles?!?!?

just how old do you think that thing was???:eekster:

·
wanna dance?
1,074 Posts
TrekFan said:

I dunno, seven generations... is that 7 x 16, or 7 x 40? Could be pretty old. Figuring those old castle towns were still invading each other until pretty recently, & cars have only been around for a hundred years, chances are this little guy saw some wild stuff on that hillside.

·
Registered
102 Posts
TrekFan said:

Not quite as old as Indiana Jones, perhaps?

The oldest tortoises (turtles have flippers not feet) live to 200 years, and are not found in Italy outside of zoos.

·
exploring the fire trails
40 Posts
bigfatadder said:
The oldest tortoises (turtles have flippers not feet) live to 200 years, and are not found in Italy outside of zoos.
So what WERE you smoking Hotblack? :crazy:

(I did have a good chuckle reading your post BTW)

·
succinct
217 Posts
About a month ago I was riding on the local MUT with my girlfriend and we saw two gopher tortoises fighting for territory. One had flipped the other over on his back, by my estimation winning the battle. The "winner" waited about a minute then went over and flipped the "loser" right side up. They continued to battle for about 5 minutes until one flipped the other down the small enbankment about 3 sideways endos in a row. It was officially over. Too bad I don't own a camera.

·
wanna dance?
1,074 Posts
Scott_C said:
So what WERE you smoking Hotblack? :crazy:

(I did have a good chuckle reading your post BTW)
Hehe yeah, old farmer stories... In seven generations, it was probably seven different tortoises! :) Still fun to watch though.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts