Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Natural body armor
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I finally quit my job in LA and I'm starting the new one Monday in San Jose.
I kept my MTB needs in consideration when selecting a new location and now I'm pretty excited to move.

I've been lurking in this regional forum for a while and it is for sure the most active and entertaining in the regional ones. At any given time the one with most users connected, that can only be explained with possibly the highest density of geek mtbiker ;) (I'm an engineer, so there you go).

There are always activities, group rides, great discussions and fun stuff going on here - I enjoyed reading the reports of the Turkey-Day ride on thanksgiving and committed to do it next year. Can't wait.

I'm going to miss the Santa Monica's mountains, Backbone trail, Sullivan and Laguna beach, but I'm sure they will be quickly replaced with NorCal pearls.
This year I'll be able to go practice the Sea Otter course without having to drive 5+ hours and that's just great. :thumbsup:
Mammoth will be closer (not by much though) and now I can consider riding stuff north of SFO...
Last but not least the chance to meet the 'ultra lord' and other mythical creatures on the trail is just exciting...:eekster:

Hello NorCal!
ZT

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Welcome!

Sure you will really enjoy it here, there is a very big contingent of South Bay riders. And you are very close to some great trail systems Demo, One I Will Not Mention, Ft. Ord, Henry Coe. Also you got a ton of stuff in the East Bay like Rockville and North Bay Annadel, Oat Hill, Tamarancho, the list goes on and on.

Downieville!

·
Coors, the american beer.
3,533 Posts
welcome to the boards man. San jose is gonna be awesome i only got to ride in the south bay a few times but there are seriously some sweet ass trails down there .... the north bays got great stuff like china camp mt tam annadel angwin rockville hills ..... and yea theres all sorts of good stuff up north. I just moved from napa to chico recently and bidwell park is ****in SICK! we xc ride on the north rim and shuttle the south rim so theres the different degrees of riding right there.

Downieville is definitley a trip also, im now only 2 hrs from the trail so once the snow melts ill be up there quite a bit. Hopefully northstar is open this year for mtn biking!

·
new and improved
398 Posts
Zen_Turtle said:
I'm going to miss the Santa Monica's mountains, Backbone trail, Sullivan and Laguna beach, but I'm sure they will be quickly replaced with NorCal pearls.
This year I'll be able to go practice the Sea Otter course without having to drive 5+ hours and that's just great. :thumbsup:
Mammoth will be closer (not by much though) and now I can consider riding stuff north of SFO...Hello NorCal!
Hey ZT, welcome to norcal. I was on sebbatical in LA for 7 years during grad school, and can steer you towards a few dirt gems up here, some of which even have manzanita growing alongside the trail if you get homesick.

It's really hard to replace staple rides like Backbone and Aliso, but there are a few good trails to be had here.

PM me and I'll get you started.

Out of curiousity, you weren't by chance 'Tortuga' on the late Socalmtb, were you?

·
Medium?
6,732 Posts
So...

...are you surfing mtbr the first day on the new job?

I did a 5 month consulting stint in Westlake Village and stayed (mostly) at the motel 6 on Ventu Park. Good riding for sure. Where are you living up here?

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
Welcome to NorCal.

It is the birth place of mountain biking and MTBR.
You'll find no shortage of amazing trails in less than 4 hours in any direction.

But if you're in SJ proper, there'll be plenty to keep you busy. :D

Any time you see a NorCal group ride post, jump in. The NorCal'ers in this board are all super cool.

·
Registered
768 Posts
welcome to the "gnarcal". congrats on getting out of LA. I lived in san diego for 5 years and imo, the quality of life up here is sooo much better.
better air, less fake people, less people period, and way more inviting natural surroundings. the only thing I miss is the warmer ocean, when it wasn't a biohazzard no access day.
that's not quite true, I do miss having tijuanna 15 minutes from my house.

·
Natural body armor
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rumpfy said:
Welcome to NorCal.

It is the birth place of mountain biking and MTBR.
You'll find no shortage of amazing trails in less than 4 hours in any direction.

But if you're in SJ proper, there'll be plenty to keep you busy. :D

Any time you see a NorCal group ride post, jump in. The NorCal'ers in this board are all super cool.
I will for sure.... as soon as I get my bikes up here (it will take another couple weeks before I move my stuff).
First impression is great... I can't believe how little traffic you've go there :D :D

·
Natural body armor
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fast Eddy said:
...are you surfing mtbr the first day on the new job?
Yup! ;) ;) ;)

Fast Eddy said:
I did a 5 month consulting stint in Westlake Village and stayed (mostly) at the motel 6 on Ventu Park. Good riding for sure. Where are you living up here?
For now I'm in Willow Glen/Campbel area - I'll be trying to buy a house without having to sell a kidney....:eekster: :eekster:

·
Propr
1,192 Posts
Zen-T,

Make sure to hit me up if you want to go boarding...I'm still praying for snow and doing the rain dance, but no luck :(

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Lowball said:
Zen-T,

Make sure to hit me up if you want to go boarding...I'm still praying for snow and doing the rain dance, but no luck :(
your not alone, there has been 3 pray for the snow party's so far. and still go goods:mad:
i want my powpow, but i get to go to Utah over presidents :D

o ya welcome

·
Natural body armor
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lowball said:
Zen-T,

Thanks man, I will. It's just that with the move and everything else going on, biking and boarding sound like a dream far far away...:sad:

·
Natural body armor
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
dusthuffer said:
Now you can do Kennedy whenever you want
... if I only knew where it was...

Seems like there are no rides in this area posted on Geoladders.com
Where do I find a map of the local rides? Anything on motion based (I'm a gps geek)?
I work about 3 miles north of SJC airport - any ride in short distance I can hit during lunch break? Kennedy, China flats, demo... where are them?
thanks
ZT

·
Natural body armor
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
francois said:
Let me know when you are ready to ride. I'll take you out. I have a lot of loaner bikes too. Road bikes right?:p

fc
Thanks for the offer. I'll let you know for sure. It may take another couple weeks before I'm ready (... according to wife settling in has priority over riding...:confused: )

And yes I only do road riding (...dang I'll have to put slicks on my Nomad....) :D
ZT

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.