Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 superlight that I wish to transform into a race bike. At this point, all I need is a wheelset and a new front fork (only?!). The race courses here in Utah typically feature a straight up climb followed by a twisty, often fast, tight singletrack descent. The terrain is variable, but usually dusty hardpack with loose rocks. Most racing folks seem to favor the Fox's, but you'll see SIDs just the same.

I currently ride a SID100 that performs pretty well despite its flexiness and piss-poor adjustability. I think the bike behaves a little better with the 80mm travel front forks, so I suppose 80mm of travel and V-brake compatibility are my two needs. I'm willing to take a 100mm travel fork, though, since I'd like to use this bike for all-mountain rides down in Southern Utah.

It's been a while since I bought a fork, so what's out there these days? I'd like to spend less than $400, even if it means finding used off fleabay.

hope this belongs in this forum!

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
Pimpbot5000 said:
I have a 2000 superlight that I wish to transform into a race bike. At this point, all I need is a wheelset and a new front fork (only?!). The race courses here in Utah typically feature a straight up climb followed by a twisty, often fast, tight singletrack descent. The terrain is variable, but usually dusty hardpack with loose rocks. Most racing folks seem to favor the Fox's, but you'll see SIDs just the same.

I currently ride a SID100 that performs pretty well despite its flexiness and piss-poor adjustability. I think the bike behaves a little better with the 80mm travel front forks, so I suppose 80mm of travel and V-brake compatibility are my two needs. I'm willing to take a 100mm travel fork, though, since I'd like to use this bike for all-mountain rides down in Southern Utah.

It's been a while since I bought a fork, so what's out there these days? I'd like to spend less than $400, even if it means finding used off fleabay.

!
I say find an 05 Marzocchi Marathon S 105mm on closeout somewhere. I've seen them on Ebay for around 350 new.

Or a Rock Shox Reba. Lot's of XC'ers have switched over to those from Sid's.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
best friggin deal on a XC race fork, period. http://pricepoint.com/detail.htm?stylePkey=13718

i had this very sweet fork on my Element and it rocked. I absolutely love the new TST cartridge that some Marz forks use, including this fork. The things kicks but and at virtually half price, no way could you beat it.

it is an 80mm fork so if you want 100mm, look elsewhere.

cheers

·
Registered
47 Posts
fox talas i find fox tends to be worth the money no matter what you buy, the talas has the perfect amount of travel aswell

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
I second the Marathon XC

FoShizzle said:
best friggin deal on a XC race fork, period. http://pricepoint.com/detail.htm?stylePkey=13718

i had this very sweet fork on my Element and it rocked. I absolutely love the new TST cartridge that some Marz forks use, including this fork. The things kicks but and at virtually half price, no way could you beat it.

it is an 80mm fork so if you want 100mm, look elsewhere.

cheers
That's a sweet deal. Grab it and run.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Pimpbot5000 said:
That zoke seems OK, but a bit heavy. Is it really as stiff as a FOX?

Thanks for the help, folks!

I haven't ridden neither of both... but when I hear people complaining on a Zoke, the last thing I've heard is "it's flexy".

Get this Zoke and the money saved put it towards your wheels. Weight savings are more important there. 100 grams on the fork are not as important as 20gr at the wheels.

Also, the travel quality of a Fox Float despite being very high, it's not on par with a Zoke.

You're getting a brand new fork which is between the most reliable on the market, against making the compromise of buying a used fork with god knows what defects on or lifespan left.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.