Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Have it chemically stripped. I did so with my '09 Spot, the finished product looked identical to raw Turner frames I had owned before.

You'll need to completely disassemble the frame, obviously, and don't forget to remove the bushings. They will not survive the chemicals used to strip the paint. If your bushings are old, just go ahead and order a new set to install after the paint is removed. I found a local shop that dipped my frame for $50. You can also buy "Aircraft Paint Remover" if you'd like to do the stripping yourself, though this will be a huge hassle and make paying someone else to do it professionally a bargain.

Sandblasting the old paint off is NOT recommended.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
AndyN said:
Have it chemically stripped. I did so with my '09 Spot, the finished product looked identical to raw Turner frames I had owned before.

You'll need to completely disassemble the frame, obviously, and don't forget to remove the bushings. They will not survive the chemicals used to strip the paint. If your bushings are old, just go ahead and order a new set to install after the paint is removed. I found a local shop that dipped my frame for $50. You can also buy "Aircraft Paint Remover" if you'd like to do the stripping yourself, though this will be a huge hassle and make paying someone else to do it professionally a bargain.

Sandblasting the old paint off is NOT recommended.
I might disagree. If the paint is powder coat - a chemical stripper is not going to do a good job.

Media blast would work much better.

Also - many manufacturers media blast before powder coat - so the metal under the paint is going to look different.

I am admitedly mixing information from multiple manufacters (turner, ventana and foes) - so maybe DT should chime in.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Marshall Willanholly said:
I had my local powdercoater chemically strip a powercoated frame for me. Worked beautifully.
i second the idea of taking your frame to a local powdercoater to strip it in a chemical bath. usually an inexpensive process. and less messy for you.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
iheartbicycles said:
I might disagree. If the paint is powder coat - a chemical stripper is not going to do a good job.

Media blast would work much better.
My frame was powder coated smoke black from Turner. A chemical dip resulted in an indistinguishable finish to a previous Turner I had ordered raw.

Greg @ Turnerbikes said to avoid media blasting.

·
Registered
787 Posts
i do believe that only the powder coating can be removed. turner polished rears, from my understanding, are clear/hard anodized after polishing. the chemical bath wont remove that.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
You can also get a big jug of DOT brake fluid, put your front triangle in a large, shallow tub; pour DOT over it, wait a little while, the powder coat will come off like a skin off a snake.

_MK

·
on a routine expedition
1,585 Posts

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
Marshall Willanholly said:
I had my local powdercoater chemically strip a powercoated frame for me. Worked beautifully.
interesting. Foes media blasts theirs before powder coat. This makes it stick better - and super hard to remove when/if you want to strip the paint. Apperantly turner does not do this.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
iheartbicycles said:
interesting. Foes media blasts theirs before powder coat. This makes it stick better - and super hard to remove when/if you want to strip the paint. Apperantly turner does not do this.
Many painters, whether it's powdercoat or wet paint, will lightly bead blast a frame prior to painting, as prep, but it is not a great way to strip a frame. Dipping, or chemically stripping it yourself, is very effective, and is the way to go if you are looking fro the raw look, or if you are going to polish the frame.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.