Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
ride your bike
9,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get some opinions here...finding myself unable to make a decision. I've gone back and forth on this a few times in the past couple months.

I've got a 06 Turner Highline built up heavy and a 04 Turner 5spot built heavy as well. Both bikes are due for some fresh new components. Maybe some lighter stuff. Running through my rough calculations, I think rebuilding both bikes would cost approx $500 more than selling everything and buying a new Delirium.

I realize a Delirium will probably never feel like my 5spot on the xc stuff, but will I totally hate it? I don't want to go ride whistler xc with my wife and dread pedaling in the tech all day (like I did with a Transition Bottlerocket). FWIW, I have no doubts as to the DH/FR capabilities of the D...but I'm looking for some confirmation that I'll enjoy riding it for xc as well. Not looking for an entirely "do-it-all" bike as I've got a good hardtail, but before selling off my precious Turners I'd like to gather as much info as possible. Thanks.

·
Calm like a bomb
3,539 Posts
With a hardtail and a DT, I don't see any issue, as long as you accept that the Delirium won't be nearly as snappy as the Spot. I know a few guys who ride Deliriums and Highlines as their only bikes and are quite happy with it that way. Only 1 uses a travel adjust fork, the others just suck it up on Totems. This for UT riding where we have lots of long climbs. I have owned a Higline, a Nicolai Helius-ST, and a Intense SS in the past that I used as all-around rides with no major complaints to the weight or pedaling. Sometimes I prefer, a lighter, snappy bike to lugging around a big suspension beast on milder trails. Not because of difficulty in pedaling, but just because a light bike can be quite a bit more playful. Weight ranges for these bikes were 33-36lbs.

If you go this route, plan on 2 wheel sets, something like 1750's for your light duty, and DeeMax level wheels for you bike park/DH riding.

Oh and one of those slick new Fox 180 floats would really help in the weight department.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
You are on the right track...

I owned a DT and a Ibis Mojo. I owned the Mojo first. When I got the DT, the Mojo did not see much ride time. I started with a Fox 36/Vivid on the DT and got an cash award through work so I upgraded to a CCDB and Marz 66 RC3 Ti. The DT felt great (as yes I still very muck like the Marz 66 RC3). I sold the Mojo and was looking at a few lighter bikes with slacker head angles (ie Mojo HD). My Marz sprung a leak and required servicing. I had a bike trip coming up so I purchased a Lyrik coil DH, which at the time I planned to place the Lyrik on my future bike. I realized immediately that the Lyrik made the DT much more all mountain and more pedal friendly while also dropping a pound. I also no longer desired (required) a quasi-redundant lighter bike.

Since then, I have sold the DT and I am happily riding a Delirium. I feel the that the Delirium covers a much broader range than the DT. I build the Delirium up with DH tires/tubes, Marz 66 and it weighs 41 lbs and I ride it in the park. My normal build - 2.4 Big Bettys on it and cross-country tubes, Marz 66, and CCDB it weighs 36lbs, can handle a ton and is super fun. When winter comes or for longer pedal rides, I throw the Lyrik on it (35lbs). Lighter tires may save another 0.5 pounds.

I would much rather spend money on components to modify this bike for different scenarios than having two nearly identical bikes (not that the Spot and Highline are similar). One bonus is that you are riding the same bike which you know inside and out with only slight modifications.

Noel at one point was testing the Delerium with an RP23 - that will drop the bike even more - but may suffer in the performance department. Curious if anyone had tried this??????

In the end, I did what you are thinking but in a more round about way:)! As I said, you are on the right track!

Cheers,
Jamie

·
Pivoteer
3,445 Posts
1 bike is never as good as 2. I tried the 1 bike thing a while back (06 RFX) and it wears on you. You begin to become more selective of the XC'ish trails you ride, and so forth.

I have a Highline as my big/park bike and love it. Very few bikes fill this category quite as well.

I also have an Endo and this bike was a replacement for my SPOT. The Endo is better in just about every way than the SPOT, BUT, it is a more capable bike. It DHs much better, and I can keep a very good pace with it, even with guys on bigger bikes.

I would think long and hard about consolidating bikes, it was a bad move for me.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
?

Dude! said:
You are on the right track...

My normal build - 2.4 Big Bettys on it and cross-country tubes, Marz 66, and CCDB it weighs 36lbs, can handle a ton and is super fun. When winter comes or for longer pedal rides, I throw the Lyrik on it (35lbs). Lighter tires may save another 0.5 pounds.
What size frame?

·
ride your bike
9,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the opinions guys, please keep them coming!

Another minor consideration is storage space. 2 years ago we moved into a townhome with a tiny little garage. I'd really like to have more room to work in there! But again, that's a relatively minor concern...

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
I had no problem with the Delerium for longer rides and it felt plenty snappy for my taste when I had a 160mm Solo Air up front. The Lyrik handled alot of big lines but didnt feel totaly at home and if it were still on I couldnt guarantee it would hold up in the long run. With a Totem it is an incredible machine but it is harder on longer rides and climbs and looses a little of its snappy trail attributes. Still the best one bike I have owned, just choose your flavour and the bike will delivery 100%.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
My DT isn't my only bike, but on some levels it is. I don't like to ride my (wife's) Superlight on rocky trails for fear I'm going to rip a derailluer off or something, and my singlespeed doesn't work for a lot of stuff. That leaves me with the DT as the bike I ride 90% of the time.

I don't mess around with the whole multiple wheelsets/tires stuff, so I run a DH setup everywhere (currently running Intense 4 ply in front). That makes for a seriously heavy bike on XC rides. Having a heavy bike doesn't stop me, but it does slow me down--luckily my friends are pretty accepting. I regularly ride 2,000 foot rides on my DT, but I do have to admit that I'm really starting to jonze for an Endorphin for that type of riding.

Starting this summer, I've now got a Totem/CCDB combo for real DH, and my original Lyrik UT/DHX for all mountain riding. This is kinda moving in the wrong direction weight-wise, but it's a whole lot more fun at the resorts. I kinda wish I had an air fork and DHX-A for the XC stuff, but that's kinda dumb if I eventually get an Endorphin.

You mention pedaling in the tech. Pedaling a 35+(+) pound DT is definitely going to be more draining than your 5-spot, but it will make you a hero on technical climbs. I've done climbs on the DT that I thought I would never make-especially not on my "DH" bike. Pedalling on gradual, smooth climbs is great too--the DT feels very efficient even with no pro-pedal. It's pedaling on the steep, smooth climbs that makes your heart want to explode where you'll second guess your descision to trade in the 5.

Will the DT make you happy as a "one bike"? Absolutely! Will the DT make you as happy on XC rides as the 5 Spot? Frequenly yes, but you're going to miss the 5 Spot frequently too. It's a hard decision to dump a great bike, even if it's to get another great bike. You'll have to weigh the number of XC rides you're going to do vs. the shuttles/resorts/don't care rides and decide what makes the most sense.

·
ride your bike
9,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
To help put things in perspective, this is my Spot. I *think* it's at about 34 lbs here.

EDIT: Thinking out loud here.... My only complaint with the spot is that it feels relatively 'noodly' jumping/dropping (not what it was made for) and skitching down steep gnar. The solution may be to keep the big bike for those big bike days and replace the spot with an Endo. Hmm... Good thing I have more time than money at the moment. That will soon change. :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
jubilee said:
The solution may be to keep the big bike for those big bike days and replace the spot with an Endo.
That sounds like a winning solution to me if you can swing an Endorphin (sorry, I just can't call a bike "Endo"), without parting with the Highline.

·
Pivoteer
3,445 Posts
The highline - Endo combo is seriously sweet. I have found the Highline will be sitting in the garage for many of the techy DH rides I do. Yes, the Endo is that good. Even with an RP23 this bike rocks DH. With my Lyrik at 150mm, I have a 67HA. More importantly, the bike climbs like nothing I have ever been on, and I don't change the travel on the Lyrik, ever.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
As Kristian states...

you get stronger. And buying this bike is not about racing to the top anymore:). When I first got the DT my buddies beat me to the top of the mountain, now I beat them and it is way more fun on the downhill. Now I am also using a 1x9 - I love the simplicity and the challenge. You buy this bike to go downhill, jumps, drops, technical trails, session, etc - climbing is part of the game and it does it well.

My buddy has a Highline and modified RFX (5 spot rear triangle). The only thing the Highline does better - it can be set-up with a dual crown fork, where the DT/Delirium are built for single crowns. I do not feel that I am missing much with the singlecrown and enjoy the turn radius in the technical. I have ridden the Highline on a few shuttle runs and to me - it feel similar to the Delirium. He changes bikes for rides and I ride the same bike - I ride the same manner, but I see his riding style change on the different bikes.

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
tiSS'er said:
With my Lyrik at 150mm, I have a 67HA. More importantly, the bike climbs like nothing I have ever been on, and I don't change the travel on the Lyrik, ever.
have you measured the HA?

·
ride your bike
9,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again guys, I appreciate the opinions!

Really helped to make a decision. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have a Knolly Podium for summer Alps trips and local FR spots. I have an Endorphin to cover the XC to AM range. And I'll never take a Delirium to replace those two, what ever is the size of my garage !

I'll do it if I stop DH, but then I'll keep my Endorphin...

Imho the do it all will do do the job but when you will push it on XC trail you'll regret your AM bike and when you'll push on DH you'll regret your big bike...

And no need to be a hero ;)

·
going for a ride
581 Posts
Septentrion said:
I have a Knolly Podium for summer Alps trips and local FR spots. I have an Endorphin to cover the XC to AM range. And I'll never take a Delirium to replace those two, what ever is the size of my garage !

I'll do it if I stop DH, but then I'll keep my Endorphin...

Imho the do it all will do do the job but when you will push it on XC trail you'll regret your AM bike and when you'll push on DH you'll regret your big bike...

And no need to be a hero ;)
So true. But why stop at just 2 bikes?
The DT was my one bike, now the Vtach is pulling the same duties. I'll like a Podium for those days I know I don't need a higher bb and can bomb down fast and relatively smoothly. I'll like an Endorphin for those days I feel that I should maybe pedal up a little bit. I'll also like a helicopter too for those days I don't feel to push or shuttle.
To answer the OP's question, yes, I think a Delirium would fit the bill, just have 2 different wheelsets like somebody mentioned. I found out that a 180 does not climb that differently from a 160 up front, but that's on the original DT though, so cannot really speak for the new Delirium. Before the DT, I was on a steel hardtail ss, and I can climb better on my DT. Now I can climb better on my Vtach than my DT, so how do you explain that? Whenever I ride with people, which is very rare, I'll blow them away on the climbs if it's more than a couple km's. I find the 4by4 suspension very comfortable for climbing, it doesn't rob you of energy, it's like a gentle see saw motion, gently rocking like a boat in calm waters and the traction is amazing. I've tried out almost every other bike out there, from Commencals to Nicolais, Konas to Intense(VPP2), and none of them can compare in overall stability and feel. I've yet to try out a Turner, I'm sure they're nice bikes, but I can guarantee you that you just cannot go wrong with a Knolly.

·
Flacko
267 Posts
Jubilee,

I appreciate your quandry, and have some time on all bikes you speak of. highline(my prev 1bike) got stolen this spring, and replaced(thanks to insurance) with a pimp new Delirium. before the HL I was on a 02 rfx. and have ridden spots prolly 15 ish trail rides in the past few years. + my wife has just got an endo.

Here is just a few random points of interest, from my perspective:

The delirium is on par with the Highline for the "big bike role", really nice. not quite as piggy. the wheelbase is a lil shorter and you feel it----> the good, easy up switchbacks/ more flickable, and the bad, a bit less stable through the chunder....but the ccdb does wonders!

The delirium is a much happier, more pedally trailbike than the HL could ever be. If your a knucklehead for the down, like me, you won't be killed climbing the Delirium on slow tech.

A endo will blow that older spot out of the water, up and down. if your looking for a bangin 2 bike setup. Much stiffer, and more versatile geo.

I could've found a replacement HL for like 3G's less than the D cost. But, I too am short on storage space and had to sample the knolly booty. Can't say I am regretting anything. But, to be fair, it was insurance.

cheers

I would say you are in a "win-win".

PS. the lyrik 170 DH is a GREAT do all fork for the D.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts