Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Bum Buzzer
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
6'8" - 38" inseam (+)

Need a new Freeride/DH Frame

Considering many - interested in a Highline.

I know Turners are outstanding - dont need to be convinced.

I *NEED* honest feedback on whether or not I can make this bike comfy/fit -- I do not like the undersized DH style (6' guy riding a small etc..)

I currently have an XL SC Bullit for this 'role' - love it - keeping it - just want something stiffer/more travel to slam the ugly DH with but still FR sometimes.

Really only interested in the Highline -- if I get a DH bike it WILL be a Rotec RL-9!!

Off to the SC forums!! Maybe Ill be a regular in both?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Huck Banzai said:
6'8" - 38" inseam (+)

Need a new Freeride/DH Frame

Considering many - interested in a Highline.

I know Turners are outstanding - dont need to be convinced.

I *NEED* honest feedback on whether or not I can make this bike comfy/fit -- I do not like the undersized DH style (6' guy riding a small etc..)

I currently have an XL SC Bullit for this 'role' - love it - keeping it - just want something stiffer/more travel to slam the ugly DH with but still FR sometimes.

Really only interested in the Highline -- if I get a DH bike it WILL be a Rotec RL-9!!

Off to the SC forums!! Maybe Ill be a regular in both?
You are really outta luck IMHO - at this point almost nobody is making XL freeride bikes - no XL Highlines (although I think DT asked if there was interest, so maybe?) and I know SC said no VP Frees in XL any more....don't know about Intense, but it's a real problem for big guys - that said, a buddy of mine is very tall and is on a Large Highline, and last I heard he really likes it....but you said you don't want to do the undersized thing so I don't know...maybe arrange a test ride of a large in SC & Turner and see if either fits you ok?

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Talk to Sherwood over at Ventana. He is able to help those who are tall. I know of atleast 1 bruja with a 26"+ top tube.

I thought the highline had an xl size slated???

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
I'm 6'5" and compiled a DH/FR frame fit list for myself a little while ago.
Maybe you can benefit from my homework.

XL Santa Cruz VP-Free*
XL Santa Cruz Bullit*
L Santa Cruz V10*
L Knolly V-Tach
XL Banshee Chaparral & Scream*
L Rotec RL9
L Ventana El Cuervo
L Ironhorse Sunday*
XL Specialized SX Trail
XL Versus Blitz & Trigger
XL Kona Stinky
L Cannondale Gemini
L Giant Glory
L Cannondale Perp
L Transition Gran Mal

* denotes bikes I've either owned or have tried out for fit.

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
dscot420 said:
I thought the highline had an xl size slated???
Looks like El Chingon is already gearing up for one. Not that the thread actually answers any questions about XL HL availability.

-------------------------

Slightly OT, a few of the posts by Dusty Bottoms in that thread are fairly interesting in light of his recent HL/Turner trolling. Not significant, just interesting in a sad, wtf sort of way.

·
Stray Bullet
2,273 Posts
e[I said:
o]I'm 6'5" and compiled a DH/FR frame fit list for myself a little while ago.
Maybe you can benefit from my homework.

XL Specialized SX Trail*

* denotes bikes I've either owned or have tried out for fit.
Where did you find an XL SX Trail. I emailed Specialized and they said there weren't any XL SX Trails made. Only XL Enduros.

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
Nagaredama said:
Where did you find an XL SX Trail. I emailed Specialized and they said there weren't any XL SX Trails made. Only XL Enduros.
Oops! I didn't.......a stray asterix.

I was just going by the numbers on their website.

·
Registered
7 Posts
6'10" with 38" inseam

I have exactly the same problem mate.

I had a Cannondale Gemini 900 until it was stolen. It had a 25.6" TT and was the perfect all-round bike but just couldn't cut it with the longer travel DH bikes on faster & technical downhills.

I bought two bikes to replace the Gemi. A Specialized Enduro with a 25.8" TT and a Giant DH Comp with a 24.2" TT. The enduro is a good all mountain bike except the wheelbase is massive on the XL making tight technical single track a lot harder to deal with. The Giant is fun on the DH, the suspension soaks up everything, but it is way too small, so my weight is way over the back wheel the whole time (running a 70mm stem), and I'd prefer to get it forward for cornering.

I'm now heading over to Whistler (from Australia), so I'm selling those two and looking for the new prospect. The only bikes that fit the bill now are:
- Cannondale Perp XL (25" TT)
- Cannondale Gemini XL (25.6" TT)
- Turner Highline XL (25" TT?)
- 2nd hand SC VP Free XL (24.9" TT)
- Specialized SX Trail XL (25.1" TT)
- Giant Glory L (25.4" TT)

I know the Gemini will fit me, but I'd like to steer away from it cause while I may not have reached anywhere near its limits, I've found other bikes a lot easier to go harder on.

The SC VP Free is no longer available in XL size and I'd prefer to grab something new.

There aren't many reviews around on the Perp, it sounds like a good option and the price is right on the cheaper version, I'm not sure how good it will be for climbing but I could lose a few kilo's before worrying about that too much.

The Highline sounds awesome, the release date for the XL isn't set in stone though. The only thing for me is that this would definitely be the expensive option.

The Giant Glory says it has a 25.4" TT but looking at the geometry chart on the Giant website, they take the Centreline from the BB rather than from the seat tube. So I'm not sure if this bike really has the large TT, and I've heard its massively heavy which is good for not breaking shite I suppose.

This leaves the SX trail, which from the sounds of things sounds like an awesome all round bike especially at Whistler. It has a 25.1" TT which is about right, but, as with my Enduro, it has a masisvely long wheelbase (47.8"!!!!).

I'm still deciding but I hope this helps a bit.

·
Registered
432 Posts
You guy all seem to be overlooking the large '04-'06 DHR. Granted, at 6'3" I'm a mere midget compared to you guys, but there are times when I wonder if it's slightly big for me (though in reality, It's probably spot on), and DT himself has reduced the TT for '07.

If it's not too specific, I'd have thought it'd be perfect?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dhr

I have not thought about the DHR primarily because its a Downhill Bike only. While its an awesome bike, I'm looking at getting "the one" bike so it has to be able to climb a hill with relative ease.

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
big-ted said:
XL Knolly V-tach? One of the few bikes to rival Turner's quality, and an awesome ride...
There are no XL V-Tachs, only L (24.2 TT).

·
Registered
7 Posts
SX Trail

Its not the first time that I've read that specialized don't build an XL SX Trail. There are certainly none available to Australia, however there are many online shops that list that the XL as being available. The website also lists an entirely different set of geometry for the XL which is different to the standard Enduro XL geometry.

I'm not sure many bike shops anywhere stock XL models, I've certainly had to always purchase my bikes without testing them or even sitting on them first. I'd say I'll be doing a bit of emailing to bike shops in Canada so that there is an XL of some description over there for me to purchase. I'll confirm the XL SX Trail issue in the process.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'm 6'6" and ride stock large bikes. Anything with around a 20" seat tube and 24" effective top tube is totally manageable for me.

I have a 35" inseam and ridiculously long arms. Proportion-wise I am straight up the middle: i.e. legs vs. arms vs. torso and I've had no problem riding a large Knolly V-Tach (which is very similar geometry-wise to the large Highline).

My bike is set up with a 55mm 888 integrated stem (the older kind from two years ago - the new ones are quite a bit shorter) and I'm using a 2007 888 SL ATA fork dialed about halfway down. The adjustable chainstays on the Knolly are a nice touch as well since wheelbase and body position between the wheel axles are huge determining factors for stability when you have a high centre of gravity. I ride mine about halfway out (total wheelbase around 46.5").

I've always liked smallish bikes and for the riding I do here in Vancouver or Whistler this size is great. But don't pigeon-hole me with the DH/freeride guys who keep their seats buried and hop off their rigs at the slightest hint of an incline. I ride a big bike, sure, but I like to climb. I've ridden this bike on 5-hour epics in Moab and have outclimbed many an xc knob on much lighter bikes (on technical and buff trails alike). I ride this bike because it pedals well, is comfortable to climb on (given how burly it is and how much it weighs), has brilliant suspension performance and descends better than any bike I've ever ridden.

I wouldn't consider the XL versions of the bikes I've seen (like the XL VP Free or XL SX Trail) for my type of riding bc they are HUGE. Battleships. The extra size is cool if the bike is primarily going to be used for pedalling but man, even I wouldn't ride those big bikes for general freeride use. But then again, you have 2" on me and if that 2" is in your legs then that extra seat tube length might be crucial.

I've seen some pretty huge bikes in real life and they are not freerideable (god I hate that word). By that I mean they are ill-suited to high-level technical riding. If you're into singletrack and pure xc then go XL for sure!

All I know is that stock large bikes suit a wide range of body sizes, especially for freeride bikes. I mean, if you wanted an xc bike you wouldn't be interested in the Highline in the first place, would you? So if you're looking for a freeride bike I'd find a way to make a stock size large work for you. Mountain bikes, unlike road bikes suffer from getting too too big. Road bikes can be any size they need to be to suit the rider. Mountain bikes don't have this luxury as wheelbases need to stay below a certain size for the bike to perform in the woods/trails/rocks/jumps/gaps/parks. That is likely why a freeride-oriented bike like the Highline doesn't come in XL.

I have no idea if this lengthy ramble helps you or not. Either way I'd love to know what you end up choosing to do....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.