Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a gary fisher x-cal right now and am having nothing but problems with it ( tire rubbing, Rear hub coming loose, drive chain sucks!! ) my buddy has a turner 6 pack or something like that and i asked if turner made a 29er he said the sultan is just coming out, so what do you think is the sultan a good pick or whats a good f/s 29er im a heavy guy about 250- 260 and 6'2 so i need something sturdy any suggestions? thanks for the help

·
rider
2,356 Posts
The Turner Sultan would be a fine choice, I'm fairly sure it would hold up for you.
I'm riding an Astrix Monk FS w/4.5" rear travel (Sultan is 4"), plenty stout as well. Very plush rear squish.

The major difference between the two is $$$ the Monk frame can be bought for under a grand, the Sutlan frame can be bought for under two grand.

Also check out the 29er's from Lenzsport and Ventana, tough solid frames as well.

29erchico

·
Registered
665 Posts
Same story

I'm in the same boat as you - I ride a Cobia, weigh 240.

High on the list are the Ellsworth Evolve, Behemoth, Sultan, 4" Leviathon, El cap. These seem to be the most sturdy of the FS bikes. Was looking forward to the Intense but it looks like it may not be built for my weight acording to this forum.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
hockeypl89 said:
so what do you think is the sultan a good pick or whats a good f/s 29er im a heavy guy about 250- 260 and 6'2 so i need something sturdy any suggestions?
A call to Turner could better answer your questions about the suitability of the Sultan for someone of your stature & riding style, but it is supposed to be built to handle the same level of riding as a 5 Spot so it could very well work for you.

I had a chance to ride a demo for a couple days, as detailed here. To make a long story short, I liked it- a lot. I've been riding a Fisher 29"er hardtail for a few years, and the Sultan takes all the things I like about the big wheels on that bike (stability, traction, carries speed well, etc), adds suspension and wraps it up in a very well executed package.

The only considerations I would add are that a) it's not immediately available (again, a call to Turner could give you more specifics), and b) bikes like the El Capitan and Behemoth are built to take a lot of abuse, and might be worth looking at also.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the suggestions, yeah i actually talked to a rep from turner on the trail yesterday and was asking him about it, the strength and everything the frame is like 1800 or something like that then i have to get components, i am think about selling my x-cal frame and keeping my component that i have right now till i can save up for better stuff, dont get me wrong i love my x-cal but the tire rub and drivechain issues are driving me nuts, thanks for the help

·
ride
5,274 Posts
Sultan = 2 Thumbs Up

I was lucky enough to spend a day at Porcupine Rim in Moab on the Sultan. It was a fantastic riding bike. It handled all the abuse I threw at it, including launching the Diving Board (app 5'). I bottomed the heck out of the suspension, but the frame had no adverse reactions. I'm sure it could handle XC riding for a person of your stature.

I've spent some time on a couple of different 29er hardtails. The Sultan handled like it was a perfect merger of my Flux with big wheels.

December availability is what I've heard.

~Dave

·
Registered
562 Posts
Interesting sequence of photos.... note the Turner Sultans in the first pic...

Full suspension - check
29er - check
knarly terrain features - check

But then......

Drop bars - check
Skinny tires - check
Rigid suspension - check

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
N8! said:
Interesting sequence of photos.... note the Turner Sultans in the pic...
...the dude in the IF shirt is carrying a Flux (says so on toptube :) ). Second bike is possibly a Sultan....agree w/ Fo tho, they're clearly taking a chance with their lives by not wearing body armor :D

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
N8! said:
My bad.. all homers look alike to me.
Based on the fact that two of the guys are wearing lycra :eek: , I don't recognize any of them, and the picture is from Photo John, I'm guessing these are just some random dudes at the Dirt Demo, not true Homers. :skep:

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Dude, you are forgetting about the new Niner! I has been receiving great reviews and goes for only $1549. I was waiting for the Sultan to come out for a year, but, in the end ordered the Ventana El Rey, which is very similar to the Sultan. Ventana is making it as we speak.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,084 Posts
Rensho and I rode a lot of 29ers at Interbike and Dirt Demo. We took 2 4-mile laps with the Sultan the RIP 9 and kept trading off.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=230907

We both did not like the Sultan since whoever had it kept getting dropped. The sultan felt slow, high off the ground and a bit harsh. It just did not feel like a bike dialed for 29er wheels. It suffered from setup problems too with Ignitor tires for the desert and narrow handlebars. I tried to tune that out in the comparo but I'm sure that affected my view.

I used to ride a 5-spot for many years and a Flux for a while. I'm surprised I didn't like the Sultan more. Also note, Turner and Niner are both advertisers of mtbr (where I work) and I'm just offering my honest riding impressions.

francois

Attachments

·
Don't be a sheep
3,441 Posts
francois said:
Rensho and I rode a lot of 29ers at Interbike and Dirt Demo. We took 2 4-mile laps with the Sultan the RIP 9 and kept trading off.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=230907

We both did not like the Sultan since whoever had it kept getting dropped. The sultan felt slow, high off the ground and a bit harsh. It just did not feel like a bike dialed for 29er wheels. It suffered from setup problems too with Ignitor tires for the desert and narrow handlebars. I tried to tune that out in the comparo but I'm sure that affected my view.

I used to ride a 5-spot for many years and a Flux for a while. I'm surprised I didn't like the Sultan more. Also note, Turner and Niner are both advertisers of mtbr (where I work) and I'm just offering my honest riding impressions.

francois
I'll bet dollars to donuts that like most cases of a bike not feeling right your impression had about 99% to do with improper suspension setup and 1% the actual bicycle. Design wise there is so little to diifferentiate between well built bikes now that suspension setup is way more important for a proper riding bike than the actual design.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,084 Posts
Rivet said:
I'll bet dollars to donuts that like most cases of a bike not feeling right your impression had about 99% to do with improper suspension setup and 1% the actual bicycle. Design wise there is so little to diifferentiate between well built bikes now that suspension setup is way more important for a proper riding bike than the actual design.
Interesting but exagerrated I fear (ala yoda). Suspension setup is key but 99% is beyond the limits of even my imagination.

I've been going through a lot of bikes recently and I'm seeing a lot of difference even between hardtails. Full-suspension... even more. Wheelbase, bottom bracket height, head angle are details that one can detect.

francois

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
to tell you the truth i havent really looked at the other 29er FS bikes i was saying the sultan because i can get a pretty good deal on one, i was looking at getting something new becasue my x-cal was riding like crap and i figured if im going to get something new, i might as well do it right, but i took my x-cal to my shop last night and i am getting xt cranks put on as well as a new cassete and chain and we will see if that fixes the problem, as far as getting a FS bike right now its way out of my budget but thanks for the advice

1 - 20 of 70 Posts