Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have Owned The Turner For One Year The Non Dw Link Version.

Got A Great Deal On A Niner Rip 9 And Moved All My Parts Over.... Amazing All Of It Moved Over. Seat Post With A Shim.

Went On My Maiden Voyage With The Niner Today......

Any Thoughts Or Opinions On Which Is A Better Cross Country Bike, Climber, And Downhill Bike?

I Am Forming My Opinions........

Thanks For Your Thoughts...merry Christmas

Art

·
Registered
997 Posts
i used to own a sultan V1 and never got it right. VERY happy with the RIP9 now, have pushed the rear shock and this made the bike even better. The RIP9 is way stiffer, way plusher and pedals way better than the Sultan and the gemetry is much better for singletrails - huge difference vs. SUltan V1 and IMO also better than Sultan V2.

·
Registered
9,544 Posts
I own a DWL Sultan and owned a previous gen 2008 RIP9. My buddy just bought a new RIP9. The DWL Sultan is far stiffer than the old RIP9 but vey similar to the new RIP9. The rear of the Sultan feels a bit stiffer but I have CK funbolts while his is a QR setup. The RIP9 feels a bit more plush in certain situations. I don't think there is a 29er with a suspension design as good as either of these two. I prefer the slightly more snappy feeling of the DWL and at least the placebo effect of the slacker headangle. :)

The Sultan also feels more connected to the ground while the RIP almost has that "air ride" plush feel at times. Some do not like that disconnected feel but it does not bother me at all. My buddy has ridden my Sultan twice and has similar comments when comparing the two.

·
Space Ghost
962 Posts
Oh yeah, my '09 RIP9 is WAYYY better than my V1 Sultan. I have never ridden a DW Sultan, but would like to. For me, a DW Sultan at the time was going to be $3000 for a frame and fork. The RIP was $2200 for frame and fork. I doubt they are $800 better.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Comparison

Thanks For Your Comments.

Like I Said. Got A Smokin Deal On The Rip 9. 2010. I Agree It Feels More Cushy..... Like A Lexus Vs A Bmw Feel Of The Sultan.

I Am Going In The Am Again. With Better Seat Adjustments And Better Air Pressures.... The Stans Tubeless Did Not Hold Up....seal Too Well So I Ran Too Low Of Pressures Today.

My Buddy I Ride With Loves His Older Rip 9. I Still Have My Turner Frame....just In Case.

I Have Heard Nothing But Great Things Of The Sultan With Dwl....

Actually, I Wasnt In The Market At All.... Until This Rip Was Shown To Me On Ebay.

The Extra Travel Bailed Me Out Today When I Took The Wrong Line And Went Into A Downhill Rock Garden..... Made It

·
Registered
919 Posts
I haven't had a chance to try any of the Niners, yet, but my DW Sultan is way better than the V1. I'm in for right at $2k, including eBay frame (new 2010 front triangle, used swingarm) and Drake fork with Absolute+ damper upgrade. I couldn't be happier with it, but I'm still interested in trying a WFO, which should be a bit slacker, which I think I would like in some situations. The current Niner deals are pretty good.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
I pick the Niner

Because I own one and it annoys the Turner homers :) which brings a certain level of satisfaction. It is tough to beat a Turner for quality but the RIP 9 has hydroformed tubing, tapered headtube for stifness, and the CVA system works awesome.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Jaybo said:
Because I own one and it annoys the Turner homers :) which brings a certain level of satisfaction. It is tough to beat a Turner for quality but the RIP 9 has hydroformed tubing, tapered headtube for stifness, and the CVA system works awesome.
No, I think it's you that annoys the Homers; they don't care what you ride.

Niner does have a couple of features that I'd like to see Turner adopt (mostly the tapered HT).

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
It's just my perception, but Niner FS bikes just look like cheap throw away stuff.

The comparison I'm looking forward to is the Turner Sultan and the Intense Tracer 29, when it comes out next year of course.

·
Registered
188 Posts
You guys got it all wrong. Being an aggressive all mountain rider going from a 26" wheel size 6" full suspension bike was a big change. I tested 3 top 29ers for 3 hours on each bike covering very technical single track. In order 1. Pivot 429 with 120 mm travel fork and 20 mm through alxe. 2. Turner Sultan DW Link 3. Niner RIP new design. If you guys are ridding smooth tight trails or very rocky rough with lots of drops the Pivot is hard to beat. The stiffest frame by far, but the Turner is also very good just not as quick or fun. I'm just waiting for the Pivot 529 for DH. :thumbsup:

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
But

fallzboater said:
No, I think it's you that annoys the Homers; they don't care what you ride.

Niner does have a couple of features that I'd like to see Turner adopt (mostly the tapered HT).
Annoying them is quite satisfying! I enjoy it! Either way I enjoy it ;)

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Hmmm

OldHouseMan said:
It's just my perception, but Niner FS bikes just look like cheap throw away stuff.

The comparison I'm looking forward to is the Turner Sultan and the Intense Tracer 29, when it comes out next year of course.
The Intense Tracer and most Intense stuff is questionable in quality! I have owned an Intense and have heard from a local bike shops that their pivots life sucks. But, yaw, I own a Niner and they certainly don't have the quality look of a Turner.

·
Registered
385 Posts
dustyman said:
You guys got it all wrong. Being an aggressive all mountain rider going from a 26" wheel size 6" full suspension bike was a big change. I tested 3 top 29ers for 3 hours on each bike covering very technical single track. In order 1. Pivot 429 with 120 mm travel fork and 20 mm through alxe. 2. Turner Sultan DW Link 3. Niner RIP new design. If you guys are ridding smooth tight trails or very rocky rough with lots of drops the Pivot is hard to beat. The stiffest frame by far, but the Turner is also very good just not as quick or fun. I'm just waiting for the Pivot 529 for DH. :thumbsup:
+1, however I haven't ridden either the Sultan or the Rip( But I would love to try them both out...with my biggest interest towards the Sult.)....but I do own the 429 and have 120mm fork en route!

But I completely agree a 529 would be fantastic(Chris are you listening?)....but I would consider it for DH....just more of a good thing.

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
metelhead said:
+1, however I haven't ridden either the Sultan or the Rip( But I would love to try them both out...with my biggest interest towards the Sult.)....but I do own the 429 and have 120mm fork en route!

But I completely agree a 529 would be fantastic(Chris are you listening?)....but I would consider it for DH....just more of a good thing.
I gotta say I'm surprised he (Chris) hasn't made this move already...I think this could be a VERY VERY hot bike..Sales could (and most likely would) hit the freaken roof...529 set up for 120-140 with a tapered ST? Oh ya those would sell......Chris must have heard this once or twice by now wouldn't you think? CF.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.