Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Hooligan
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride a 2007 Turner Sultan and am looking at a new one. The problem is there is not much opportunity for a test ride in north Georgia. If any of you guys that have upgraded from the old style TNT to a new DW link Sultan can share your thoughts it would be greatly appreciated.

FWIW, I test rode a Jet 9, RIP9 and a Yeti SB95 at the SE bike expo a few weeks ago. liked the Niners, and really liked the Yeti.

Here's a picture of my old Sultan, for your viewing pleasure.

sultan.jpg

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
I made that change. The new DW Sultan is more bike than your current version with 125 mm of travel vs. 100. It's also a bit more suited to rugged riding, especially with a 130 or 140 fork. For example, I've ridden the old Sultan in Moab and St. George and it was a lot of fun. The new one is a BLAST in that environment.

And, at the risk of stating the obvious, the DW link will provide better pedaling along with plusher suspension.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had a Jet9, Rip9 Rdo and ultimately moved to the Sultan. Fwiw even with the longer chainstays, it's still very much a blast to ride as it's the sum of all parts really.

Performance wise, It's very close to the Rip9 Rdo but IMHO, just that much more fun to ride.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I had a TNT flux and 5 spot before moving to my DW sultan. As far as rear suspension goes there is no comparison, the DW is better all around.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
That would be a great move Al. The DW Sultan is great bike and is still may favorite even after riding many of it's competitors.

·
Registered
787 Posts
yes great move indeed. i also went from an 08 Sultan to a 12, superior in many ways, DW suspension, new geometry, ability to run a long legged fork. also went from 08 Spot to DW Spot to Burner, as well superior. But...... I will be honest there was something about the TNT rear of the sultan and spot that I really liked, don't know how describe it but they were fun bikes to ride.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I have an 07 Sultan and a 2014 Sultan with a Pike 140mm.

The new bike flat out rocks and mine is built at 26.5lbs.
Hello bud,
Would you mind sharing your build?
Would like to lighten my Sultan too ;-)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hello bud,
Would you mind sharing your build?
Would like to lighten my Sultan too ;-)
Large Sultan
Pike 140mm
Spank 60mm stem
thomson 367mm seatpost with Ti hardware
Chris King ceramic BB
Chris King upper Headset
Cane Creek 110 Lower headset
Specialized headset cap
XT Cranks with Race Face narrow wide
XO short cage rear derailleur
1099 cassette
Enve XC wheels with King Hubs
Racing Ralph 2.25 (snake skin on the back)
XX Brakes (7 rotor and 6 rotor)
Titanium disc and caliper bolts
Easton Carbon bars (750mm)
X9 shifter (10 speed)
wtb Vigo with Nicro rails saddle
XT pedals
S-works waterbottle cage

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Thanks
Just received my Sultan upgrade too today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
yes great move indeed. i also went from an 08 Sultan to a 12, superior in many ways, DW suspension, new geometry, ability to run a long legged fork. also went from 08 Spot to DW Spot to Burner, as well superior. But...... I will be honest there was something about the TNT rear of the sultan and spot that I really liked, don't know how describe it but they were fun bikes to ride.
I agree about the TNT bikes. My DW Spot is by far a better all around bike than my old TNT Spot, but there was just something really fun about the TNT bike that I cannot put my finger on. Wish I never sold that frame . I would also disagree with the poster above who said that the DW suspension is plusher than the TNT. The DW pedals much better and is much better when factoring in all the suspension characteristics as a whole, but is not plusher IMO.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,346 Posts
DW Sultan is a great bike. I ridden it and I thought it'd be great on some of the longer rides when built up lighter. It isn't very nimble though, an area where more recent 29ers have made great inroads. The Czar is even an example of this. This is mainly why I felt the DW Spot was such a better bike going down anything or for any "aggressive" riding. The Sultan would go over stuff no problem, with confidence, but it wouldn't make the quick line changes of the spot.

DW Suspension hands down better than the TNT, not even on the same planet. I was running a custom Avalanche Chubby at the time, but the inherent issues I was still plagued with were poor sharp-edged bump absorption and massive squat when trying to climb in a high (middle ring) gear. The avalanche helped significantly with the square edged bumps, yet it would only go so far in that respect. The DW sultan and spot on the other hand were using air shocks and gobbling up square edged stuff better than my coil shocked RFX. Pushing the bikes to their limits would overwhelm the air shock, but that can be said for any air-shock bike of the era, few people were pushing their sultans as hard as RFXs. The DW suspension is far plusher IME, square edged bumps is where the difference is, the low-pivot TNT and Horst link bikes get "hung up" in that kind of terrain.

At the time, the DW sultan just didn't do it for me due to the geometry (not the suspension). I think the Czar would be more to my liking, although it's definitely not a "one bike do it all" type of bike.

·
Registered
127 Posts
@Bullitt_cn - rims or complete wheels? Would they happen to be the 35mm hookless rims? Post up your thoughts on them when you get a chance please, thinking of a set for my Sultan after the destroying the rear rim on my E13s at the weekend

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
Just in case you werent aware, your 07' sultan frame is worth $600 towards a new DW sultan frame using the trade in plan.

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,366 Posts
DW Sultan is a great bike. I ridden it and I thought it'd be great on some of the longer rides when built up lighter. It isn't very nimble though, an area where more recent 29ers have made great inroads. The Czar is even an example of this. This is mainly why I felt the DW Spot was such a better bike going down anything or for any "aggressive" riding. The Sultan would go over stuff no problem, with confidence, but it wouldn't make the quick line changes of the spot.

DW Suspension hands down better than the TNT, not even on the same planet. I was running a custom Avalanche Chubby at the time, but the inherent issues I was still plagued with were poor sharp-edged bump absorption and massive squat when trying to climb in a high (middle ring) gear. The avalanche helped significantly with the square edged bumps, yet it would only go so far in that respect. The DW sultan and spot on the other hand were using air shocks and gobbling up square edged stuff better than my coil shocked RFX. Pushing the bikes to their limits would overwhelm the air shock, but that can be said for any air-shock bike of the era, few people were pushing their sultans as hard as RFXs. The DW suspension is far plusher IME, square edged bumps is where the difference is, the low-pivot TNT and Horst link bikes get "hung up" in that kind of terrain.

At the time, the DW sultan just didn't do it for me due to the geometry (not the suspension). I think the Czar would be more to my liking, although it's definitely not a "one bike do it all" type of bike.
That pretty much matches my experience as someone who owns both. I love the Sultan and when it comes to going through things at high speed, it is fantastic. But after riding the Czar, the limitations of the Sultan's geometry become apparent. I'm hoping there is a new iteration of the Sultan in the works built around a 140mm pike and with a shorter rear end. Carbon would be nice, too. But that's not a deal-breaker for me.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
@Bullitt_cn - rims or complete wheels? Would they happen to be the 35mm hookless rims? Post up your thoughts on them when you get a chance please, thinking of a set for my Sultan after the destroying the rear rim on my E13s at the weekend
35mm hookless only available for 27.5" according to Light-Bicycle.

Mine use 27mm (22mm inside) hookless XC rims. Originally planed to get the rims only but decided to go complete wheels instead as I don't want to screw-up building a carbon rims for the first time.
I choose Hope Pro II Evo for the hubs so I can use the wheels later on my future Czar...yeah, yummy :-D
LB uses a bladed Pillar Aero X-TRA 1420 which they said is strong enough. they claim they have it tested into their wheels built and passed.
I guess I need to do a second test on my first ride this coming weekend. I can't wait to try it out specially how does the hookless hold up.

Complete wheel weight is 1523gr.
Not bad for a fraction of cost compare to an Enve wheels ;-)

·
Registered
127 Posts
You can get the 35mm hookless in 29, few threads on here about it. They aren't on their website for some reason but are in their ebay shop, $180 each, about 425 grams for the AM version. Won't be as light as yours though, that's a really good weight. I'm going for the Hope Pro 2s as well, not decided on spokes yet. If they come in at or under the 1850g my E13 TRS+ weigh I'll be happy.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
If you prefer different spokes and hubs aside from their stock?
You need to send it to them to build it for you or you purchase the rims only.

·
Hooligan
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just in case you werent aware, your 07' sultan frame is worth $600 towards a new DW sultan frame using the trade in plan.
Thanks, I was aware, but at least for now I'll be keeping the old Sultan too.

Just ordered a new one. They are on sale direct from Turner as of today/yesterday in case anyone else is looking - $4k for the Sultan with the XT build kit.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Thanks, I was aware, but at least for now I'll be keeping the old Sultan too.

Just ordered a new one. They are on sale direct from Turner as of today/yesterday in case anyone else is looking - $4k for the Sultan with the XT build kit.
great choice.....i had both an 08 and current dw, ultimately sent the 08 in as a trade in for a czar....still have the dw.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts