Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AZ Turner Sultan v.1 Owners - I have an opportunity to purchase a medium sultan TNT frame and since I cannot demo the bike anywhere, I would appreciate any feedback and support that YOU riders can provide.

1. Is the 4" travel Sultan responsive, stiff and snappy or more lanky, and trail/freeride oriented?
2. Does the geometry and wheelbase work well in tight singletrack or switchbacks?
3. Does the bike have a substantial amount of squat when riding steep uphill sections?
4. Are the front and rear triangles sufficiently stiff.

I have owned 3 turners so I have experienced the quality of the ride and understand the CS. I am looking to build a +/- 27# xc bike that will pedal efficiently and I am not sure that this is the right frame.

Any feedback and perspective is greatly appreciated.

CDIDriver

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
my .02...

CDIDriver said:
AZ Turner Sultan v.1 Owners - I have an opportunity to purchase a medium sultan TNT frame and since I cannot demo the bike anywhere, I would appreciate any feedback and support that YOU riders can provide.

1. Is the 4" travel Sultan responsive, stiff and snappy or more lanky, and trail/freeride oriented?
2. Does the geometry and wheelbase work well in tight singletrack or switchbacks?
3. Does the bike have a substantial amount of squat when riding steep uphill sections?

I have owned 3 turners so I have experienced the quality of the ride and understand the CS. I am looking to build a +/- 27# xc bike that will pedal efficiently and I am not sure that this is the right frame.

CDI. I have two 29ers.. 1. '08 Turner Sultan 2. '09 RIP Niner. here are my thoughts WRT the Sultan..
1. Is the 4" travel Sultan responsive, stiff and snappy or more lanky, and trail/freeride oriented? The Sultan is more stiff and snappy but a lot depends on your shock and pressure settings.
2. Does the geometry and wheelbase work well in tight singletrack or switchbacks? For a 29er, it does a pretty good job but I did find climbing Tom's Thumb over the Christmas holidays and all of those really tight switchbacks, the bike had a harder time negotiating the turns as they got tighter. The wheelbase may have been the root cause there. One of my riding buddies was on a Titus Racer X (small sized frame) and was able to clean them all.
3. Does the bike have a substantial amount of squat when riding steep uphill sections? Yes, with the proper amount of sag in the shock.
4. Are the front and rear triangles sufficiently stiff. They are fairly stiff but don't even come close to the RIP WRT stiffness.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AZmtncycler said:
CDIDriver said:

CDI. I have two 29ers.. 1. '08 Turner Sultan 2. '09 RIP Niner. here are my thoughts WRT the Sultan..
1. Is the 4" travel Sultan responsive, stiff and snappy or more lanky, and trail/freeride oriented? The Sultan is more stiff and snappy but a lot depends on your shock and pressure settings.
2. Does the geometry and wheelbase work well in tight singletrack or switchbacks? For a 29er, it does a pretty good job but I did find climbing Tom's Thumb over the Christmas holidays and all of those really tight switchbacks, the bike had a harder time negotiating the turns as they got tighter. The wheelbase may have been the root cause there. One of my riding buddies was on a Titus Racer X (small sized frame) and was able to clean them all.
3. Does the bike have a substantial amount of squat when riding steep uphill sections? Yes, with the proper amount of sag in the shock.
4. Are the front and rear triangles sufficiently stiff. They are fairly stiff but don't even come close to the RIP WRT stiffness.
AZmtncycler - Many thanks for the comprehensive response. With regards to the wheelbase issue, was your buddies Titus a 26" or 29r? I demoed a RX29 last year, loved the suspension and stiffness, did not like the geometry. What size frame do you ride?

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
answers....

CDIDriver said:
AZmtncycler said:
AZmtncycler - Many thanks for the comprehensive response. With regards to the wheelbase issue, was your buddies Titus a 26" or 29r? I demoed a RX29 last year, loved the suspension and stiffness, did not like the geometry. What size frame do you ride?
My buddy rides a small 26" wheeled Racer X. I ride mediums on both of my 29ers. I'm 5'10" tall. hope this helps...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts