Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Rides like wrecking ball
1,122 Posts
I'm a numbers geek but don't know the formula...Anyone care to do the math on how much extra travel the longer chainstays will give? Guess the leverage will be bumped slightly too. Man, for a Frankenbike it just looks sooo good though! Nice work again!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks guys

I think this bike is a very realistic build for those who want an big hit 29er. The frame on the older RFX's seems to be a little burlier (IMHO) than the later offerings. And with a knowledgeable shock and rocker selection the BB could be dropped. I have a set of Kris Holm 44mm wheels that I am rehubbing to a Dimension convertible hub. Then the wheels will be as burly as the frame. Is it difficult to pedal? Well, compared to my Tracer yes, but hey, this is all about having fun right? This RFX used to be my all mountain bike and then I took my first DH runs on it 4 years ago at Mount Ste Anne, and then it hung from the ceiling for a couple of years. Now it's stepping out as big hit, 6 inch travel 29er ;) Love this bike.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
69er

Sure, very doable. When I first started the conversion the RFX had a 203 Travis DC fork and 26" wheel on the front. After adding the 29" rear it sat level but wow, weird.

Actually, for true downhill I think the rear components would be fine at 29 inch. The weakness in this bike for real DHing is the front wheel and fork. Although with the Kris Holm wheels I think this bike would be capable of aggressive descending.

·
Registered
11,784 Posts
Or a 650b rear

mtnbikerx said:
Sure, very doable. When I first started the conversion the RFX had a 203 Travis DC fork and 26" wheel on the front. After adding the 29" rear it sat level but wow, wierd.

Actually, for true downhill I think the rear components would be fine at 29 inch. The weakness in this bike for real DHing is the front wheel and fork. Although with the Kris Holm wheels I think this bike would be capable of aggressive descending.
I think that the HL stays are long enough

·
A Surly Maverick
2,709 Posts
That frame with my front wheel and fork would be interesting !

Converted White Brothers Groove 180, set to 150mm travel and 120mm wide hubbed none dished front wheel (both done by BCD and raced DH by him).

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.