Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 99 Posts

·
Outcast
8,575 Posts
Here's a couple other pics. The rocker on the left is the style I'm currently using; the seven inch rocker being used with the pushed vanilla rc. The rocker on the right was the first attempt; they allowed the rear wheel to collide with the seat tube, and required an enormous springrate.

The next pic show the rockers I banged out to use with the dhx-air. Banged out, as in I didn't spend a lot of time making them. Straight lines, no asthetics, just plain ugly. They gave ma about 6.5 inches of travel, and lowered my BB by about 5/8 of an inch. They worked okay with the dhx-a; my rocker geometry really ramps up progressively, that suited the dhx-a just fine, but these rockers don't work well with the vanilla rc. I need the longer leveraged rockers for the rc to shine.

I've frequently contemplated making a set of adjustable rockers; multi-piece rockers that would have replaceable sections to provide different lengths, but I've recently proved to myself that with the 8.5 shock and resulting geometry and rising rate that this length shock provides, there is no sense in going through with that project anymore. By using a fork that has adjustable travel and a/c heights, I can have a good handling trail bike and keep the seven inches in the back as well.

·
Be happy......go riding
136 Posts
When did you buy your Burner?

dtrek4500 said:
I've been wanting to get some xr's for my burner ever since I got the bike. Does anyone know when they are going to produce them again.
Hey dtrek4500,

Now, don't get mad, but I bought the last pair of XR rockers from Paul Component Engineering a little over a week ago. The woman I talked to there said that they are not sure when or if they will manufacture the XR rockers again. You can call them at (530) 345-4371 to find out more.

·
Turner Homer
1,228 Posts
Trailmix said:
Hey dtrek4500,

Now, don't get mad, but I bought the last pair of XR rockers from Paul Component Engineering a little over a week ago. The woman I talked to there said that they are not sure when or if they will manufacture the XR rockers again. You can call them at (530) 345-4371 to find out more.
Don't worry I am not mad at all. When I have the funds to support this purchase I will give them a call, but there are so many other things I want to get both for the bike and my car. Thanks, and sorry for the late response.
Dave

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I'm wondering if the Turner 4X aka NEW Rail rockers will fit a XCE?
No, they won't work. The XCE has the central rocker pivot behind the seat tube, the newer Turners all have them in front. This TOTALLY changes the required rocker shape. You would end up with a bb height of 17" or something rediculous, you would not be able to mount the shock as it would overlap the seat tube, among other problems.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hmmm...

With the shorter rockers the seatstays would also wound up shorter.

For a 'stiffer' reartraingle...
(i don't dare to use four bar anymore with the new faux bar moniker)

Is it also because the pivotposition is forward/before the seattube that the forces needed to move the rockers/shock is higher.
Acting a bit pro-pedal-like...

Since it is a 4X Ride.
It only needs to take out the sting in jumps...

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I don't think you are picturing this correctly. The shock's i2i stays the same (6.5). The 4X rockers are flat (flatter than the XCE's). Mounted on the XCE's seat tube and attached to the shock, the seat stay pivot point is now two inches lower (or more) than the XCE's would have been. This drops the rear wheel like 4 or more inches. Try it if you want, but I think the handling may suffer. :rolleyes: :)

·
beer is good
532 Posts
O2 rockers

What you need in this case might be some Turner o2 rockers.They would reduce travel to 3.1
inches with a 1.5' stroke shock shock. They are about an inch shorter
than standard XCE rockers.
I just happen to have some I could let go, PM me if you are interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Uh...

Tscheejus... i forgot the whole picture of the Turner 4X! :rolleyes:

Yes the pivotpoint is mounted in front of the seattube...

The handling might suffer?
Well if Christiaan lends me his rockers we will find out how it rides! :D

But wait a sec. what if we had shorter seatstays? :cool:

Hmmm Turner 02 rockers?
Temptin'... le' me sleep over it.

·
Banned
16,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
5 Spot rocker in front of a 2006 RFX rocker. Note the location the rear end will bolt onto the Spot rocker.

Edit: way late, but the 5 Spot rocker shown is the 5.3 rocker, also can be termed the "V.2" Spot Rocker.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Turner 5.1 rocker & PUSH 5.75 rocker

JC, I hope at least part of this is what you were looking for. I measured from the center of the upper shock mount bolt to the center of seatstay pivot bolt:

stock Turner 5.1: 8 1/2 in.
PUSH: 9 3/8 in.

The second photo lines up the ST pivot and the upper shock mount.

The very bottom photo I snagged from a PUSH pdf file. The rockers that are shipping now ("bossless") no longer utilize a secondary set of seals. Attached Images

·
Registered
15 Posts
Can an O2 model run the XR rocker? Currently I have X rockers on my O2 with a 6.5" x 1.5" and that gives me (I think)around 4" of travel (correct me if I am worng). What would the XR rocker do for me on my O2 and are the XR rockers recommended for the O2?

If I can run XR rockers on my O2 where could I pick up a pair?

Swanson

·
1,312 Posts
Swan,
As to picking up a pair your options are limited to ebay, the classifieds or putting up a post asking if someone is looking to sell a pair. Paul's sold out about a year ago and doubt they will make any more.

As to what they would do/if they would work you will have to speak to someone who has had an O2 in the past. Are you sure you have 4 inches of travel? I thought it was more like 3.1 - if thats the case then you should be able to use the XRs...

Otherwise if you are getting 4" now, my guess is that there would probably be some contact - either metal on metal or more likely the rear tire would buzz the seatpost at full compression if you got ahold of some XRs. Same problems that Burner owners would run into if they tried to go bigger than 4" with some sort of combo with the XR rockers and a (hard to find) 6.5 x 1.75 shock.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I tried the XR rockers .....

swanee2 said:
Can an O2 model run the XR rocker? Currently I have X rockers on my O2 with a 6.5" x 1.5" and that gives me (I think)around 4" of travel (correct me if I am worng). What would the XR rocker do for me on my O2 and are the XR rockers recommended for the O2?

If I can run XR rockers on my O2 where could I pick up a pair?

Swanson
....and the XCE rockers on the 02. With the XR setup (which gives 4" of travel)the rear moves in a wallowing manner. No amount of fiddling with the shock could dial in the suspension.

With the XCE rockers (3.6" travel) the wallow is gone and and shock can tune the suspension.

Remember, my riding style and weight may differ from yours, so if you go the XR route, your results may vary from mine... caveat emptor.

·
Banned
16,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Not exactly the correct thread for it, but we would also need a full pic of the bike to determine positively. So far it does look like an older RFX, but I'm only going on the rocker, and the bb/lower mount looking like it's not machined. More pics are needed. Post up a thread about it and we'll look it over and try to date it.

21 - 40 of 99 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.