Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't know if we can make this a sticky thread for reference, but perhaps we can post pics of the Turner rockers made over the years for reference. I know the tricky ones are those RFX rockers, as well as the tweaked Spot rockers which aren't identified. Anyone care to post pics in a central place such as this thread?

Configurations

XCE:
1. X rocker + custom 6.5x1.75 Vanilla RC= 4" travel (factory)
2. X rocker + 6.5x1.5 shock= 3.6"
3. XR rocker + 6.5x1.5 Romic coil= 4" travel (factory)

Burner:
1. X rocker + 6.5x1.5 Float R, Float RL, or 3 Way= 3.6" (factory)
2. XR rocker + 6.5x1.5= 4" (special aftermarket run made of these rockers by Paul's Components in late 2004/early 2005, 120 sets)

Not endorsed:
XR rockers+ 6.5x1.75 Vanilla RC custom= ~4.6" (or above) travel.

Here are pics of the shorter X type rockers for XCEs and Burners against the longer XR rockers.

Attachments

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
There's also the short O2 rockers, but mine are gone.
If the temps ever climb out of the basement (minus 25F this morning a 7:00am) I'll post a report on the non-endorsed XR - RC 6.5" x 1.75" combination test ride.

Attachments

·
Never enough time to ride
1,575 Posts
Missed a Burner Configuration. It's pretty much the same as the XCE but works just the same.

X Rockers + 6.5 x 1.75 Vanilla RC=4" travel.

Great set up by the way, though a little heavy.

Attachments

·
\|/Home of the Braves\|/
1,926 Posts
Holding an XR Rocker up to the X on my Burner (which seems to have been on the trail a little at that time).

·
Rides like wrecking ball
1,122 Posts

·
Surfin' da mountain
809 Posts
cutthroat said:
There's also the short O2 rockers, but mine are gone.
If the temps ever climb out of the basement (minus 25F this morning a 7:00am) I'll post a report on the non-endorsed XR - RC 6.5" x 1.75" combination test ride.
:) I'm real curious about this installation of the XR Rockers!

I have an XCE with the (stock) X Rockers and the Van RC 6.5" x 1.75". I've been contemplating installation of the XR Rockers because I ride a Marzocchi with 130mm travel up front.

Please include the Benefits & Side affects. Would PUSHing the RC help?

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I'll put the 04 and 05 Spot rocker difference in this thread too for posterity:

Sorry about the pic quality, it's just a grab shot from the shed. Not my normal work. :)

Anyway, the two rockers are aligned so the center pivot and shock eyelet bolts line up. The rear rocker is the 5.3 version, and the front is the 5.1. The 5.3 is slightly longer and rotates the seat stays up and back slightly, presumably along a circumference with its radius drawn through the rear wheel axle, so as not to change the bb height. I did not measure anything. Let me know if you need the numbers for some reason.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I think they switched in early '05. They look very similar and have the same markings stamped on the inside. The tail end of the 5.3 rocker has a somewhat longer non-relieved section.

The 5.1 is 214mm long from the shock eyelet bolt to the seatstay bolt, c-c. The 5.3 is 222mm.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just wondering, what does Mr T think of all this rocker bastardisation?

I mean, he carfully designs these machines using his years of expertise and experience, then some Joe comes along and swaps out a fairly pivotal (see what i did there) part of the frame.

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
p_shep said:
Just wondering, what does Mr T think of all this rocker bastardisation?

I mean, he carfully designs these machines using his years of expertise and experience, then some Joe comes along and swaps out a fairly pivotal (see what i did there) part of the frame.
It's all good - that's what is so cool about Turners. Swap forks, swap shocks, swap rockers - experiment with the parameters of the design. All the Homers have their opinions, advice and preferences.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
6" RFX Rockers

Some more info consolidation:

I Yanked this from Dawgprimo's Post in etal's RFX rocker reproduction thread It has other good info and links.

The top is a classic B-type and the bottom is the classic A-type, see below for an explanation. Neither are actually "new". The B-type came out later, but the A-type is very close to the current 6P rockers.
tscheezy said:
The old, stock rockers are "A" rockers. They result in a lower bb and slacker angles, but there could be tire-smacking-the-seattube issues. The newer rockers that Turner sold to you are the "B" rockers. They result in a higher bb and steeper angles for the benefit of more tire clearance.

Also see below for a comparison of current RFX(6 Pack) rockers vs. the classic B-type (higher BB steeper HTA) ref: SSINGA's post
tscheezy said:
The "A" version would probably superimpose nearly perfectly.[over the new RFX(6P) set]<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Below is tscheezy's post showing the effect of A vs. B on the bike:
tscheezy said:
...Here is a 6-Pack front triangle mounted with Type B RFX rockers and stock 6-Pack rockers. Note the added height the B rockers would introduce. The Type A rockers are analagous to the Pack rockers...

ALSO: Bulldog's classic RFX rocker thread that has more good info plus pics of custom plates made by Renegade and Lucky7

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Air's added it to the FAQ sticky with the other essential utility threads...One stop shopping for all your Homer needs.:p

So I wonder when Rene' and Lucky' will post links to their custom rocker design threads?;)

·
Turner Homer
1,227 Posts
I've been wanting to get some xr's for my burner ever since I got the bike. Does anyone know when they are going to produce them again.

·
\|/Home of the Braves\|/
1,926 Posts
dtrek4500 said:
I've been wanting to get some xr's for my burner ever since I got the bike. Does anyone know when they are going to produce them again.
I swear I saw someone on a recent thread selling a pair. I forget who and which thread though so that's not overly helpful. It may have been someone who was selling a frame/Rockers/both...

I'd heard that PC didn't make much money on them so the machine time was going to be spent on other products. Not the answer you're looking for.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts