Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a turner flux that i would like to set up 2x10.Read on here i could use a shimano fd m986[xtr] front derailer.Is the m786[xt] pretty much the same de. but a lower model? Would a sram x9, which turner says will work with no modification, be a better choice?thanks

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
I have the SLX version on my 5 Spot which I modified with a dermal tool. Simple mod could be done with a file as well. Works flawlessly. Never had a SRAM front so I can't compare.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Yes, the XT model will work. And yes, the SRAM will work too. So in the end, what qualities are you looking at to compare? Price? Weight? The drivetrains these days have been well sorted out and I doubt most people would find much difference between shifting ability from one FD to the other unless you're comparing it to super-low-end-W-mart-special-bike.

·
Maromero
1,599 Posts
I have a turner flux that i would like to set up 2x10.Read on here i could use a shimano fd m986[xtr] front derailer.Is the m786[xt] pretty much the same de. but a lower model? Would a sram x9, which turner says will work with no modification, be a better choice?thanks
I am using an XX FD, main reason, weight savings, the rest of the drivetrain is XTR.
On a 2005 Flux and soon (I hope) in a 27.5 Flux.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the notes.I would like to try the xt shadow plus m786 rear derailer with 24/38 rings up front on the crank and a 11-36 cassette.Long,medium or short cage on the rear derailer?Is there a certain front derailer and shifters i need to use to work best with this shadow plus set up 2x10?

·
Maromero
1,599 Posts
Nothing special, any FD will work (as long as it's a top pull, high clamp).
My current drivetrain is 2x9, 970 shifters and low rise long cage RD, 11-34 cassette, paired with a Mythiccarbon crankset 40-26 and the XX FD, I will be using 2x10, 980 shifters, med cage Shadow RD and 11-36 XTR cassette, same FD and crankset.
Using a double chainring obviates the need for the plus RD, well, that's my opinion.
For weight reasons I was thinking of an old XTR, but availability is null, XX is the lightest available and it works without mods.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts