Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience (good or bad) racing either one of these. Just cuious as to which one you would choose and why?

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I would choose the Flux, for the following reasons:

-I'm not a big fan of carbon mountain bike frames.
-Turner's bushing system sets the standard when it comes to stiff, durable, user serviceable pivots. Santa Cruz' reputation in this area is somewhat less sterling. The only time I ride in heavy mud is if there is a race, so if anything this is more important to me on a race bike.
-Turner's implementation of the DW Link is the pinnacle of MTB suspension as we know it, in my opinion. Active, supple travel that still squirts forward with every pedal stroke, and doesn't have any annoying pedal/brake feedback.
-The Turner is made in the US. May not matter to some, but it does to me.
-Turner's customer service is second to none.
-I can't wait to get my hands on a DW Flux after two successful seasons racing on the original model. It also makes a pretty fun trail bike.

Yes, I'm an unabashed Turner fan, but it's hard not to gush when they have so many things going for them. I'm sure the Blur is nice in its own way, just not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I know that Turners reputation is second to none. I hardly see any in races though. Of course I don't see many B XC's either. Start lines are littered with Specialized and Giant bikes. Probably due to the fact these companies have large budgets with massive production lines. Who knows.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I run an Aluminum Blur XC for races, and have had great results with it. I consistently place within the top 5. I chose the alum version because you can get them for pretty good deals now that the carbon version is out. Total bike weight is just at 27 lbs., and that's without nice components. It has a little peddle bob to it if you get out of the saddle, but I am also only running a float r for a rear shock which does not have the pro pedal. Other than that I don't notice pedal bob at all. I did have a issue with squeaky pivots when I first bought the bike, but the bike shop took care of it quickly and I haven't had a problem since.

Overall I find it to be a very stable and dependable bike. I picked the blur because its was a great bike for little dough. I paid around 1600 for a complete bike.

Both bikes are awesome though.

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
So Far

In it's first month the Blur XC Carbon has been an absolute joy. The bike is well designed, stiff as heck, and has great suspension action. I think if I was choosing between an Alum Blur and the Turner, it would be a toss up. The Carbon frame of the Blur XCc is the advantage if you are considering the more expensive version. This is my third carbon MTB frame and the stiffness and weight really makes a difference. I think the builders finally have the fibers figured out.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
... I am intrigued by the whole carbon thing but at the same time am a little skeptical. I live ride and do a lot of racing in the Sierras. All I hear from bike shop owners is that " If you get a carbon frame then you better not crash." The reason being (I guess) is that carbon does not like to be introduced to granite. So, I am not sure as who to believe on this one. Now if I lived on the coast with many a Sea Otter type trail then no doubt carbon would be the call.

·
Registered
61 Posts
rocdog, i'm sure there will be more than a few carbon blur xc's and lt's being raced at downieville this weekend. it'll be interesting to hear if the carbon bikes can take the hits once the rocks start flying.

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
rock

shortpull said:
rocdog, i'm sure there will be more than a few carbon blur xc's and lt's being raced at downieville this weekend. it'll be interesting to hear if the carbon bikes can take the hits once the rocks start flying.
I put some clearshield over the BB and downtube for protection. Sure enough, on my first ride (a race), I was descending a cobbley loose hill at 25 mph and had multiple rocks smack the downtube. The cracks were loud enough that I was terrified to see the result after cleaning the mud off. Not a mark. Just some scuffs in the clearshield. I know my Yeti's scandium tubes would have been dinged as they have a million times before.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I've got a Turner (5 Spot) and also have a Scott Spark for racing. I'm in the midwest and will admit, the carbon scares me a bit. I'm using clearshield as well and have had zero issues on the downtube, but my bigger concern is what's going to happen when I go OTB on rocky drop and the frame goes flying! With your statement that you're in the Sierra's, I would definitely go with Aluminum, unless you aren't worried about the potential worst case scenario.

As far as the rides go, I've ridden several Flux's (not the DW however) and Blur's (not the carbon) and really liked both. Both very stable biks (probably moreso the Turner) and seem to carve the turns really well. Neither (IMO) are great out of the saddle mashers but make up for it in different areas. Like Miles said, the Turner bushing system is second to none and maintenance will be a snap and all but an after thought. The Blur is another story on that front.

Best advice for last...if you can ride both...go do it and that will make up your mind for you. Good luck, both rides should be a blast!

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
My buddy has a Flux and I have a 4 year old Blur XC (aluminum) they are both great bike! The carbon Blur makes the comparison different, because the Carbon Blur weights about 1 pound less then the flux, thats a lot!
I want to get a new bike this winter and will be looking at Carbon Blur as well as Carbon frames. I want 1 bike I can race at Sea Otter and Downieville, and no more then 23 pounds. A touch choice

1 - 11 of 11 Posts