Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Spooooon!
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately, I've noticed that when I email turner with info. requests or support questions that I've started getting responses that sound "off". Odd grammar and incorrect info. basically, engrish - type responses. Did Turner outsource email support in a quest to focus more on some new project? Is there a new MTB call center in Bangalore?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Something is up over there

Well all I can say is it sounds like something messed up is going on there. They are known for such great service but here is my issue: ordered frame 3 weeks ago and quoted 9-10 days to get custom paint, and then shipping out. Then they said a few more days, that was last week after the thing was supposed to be at LBS. Now the due date on getting it back from paint is a month out, late July. What BS! It appears nobody there knows what is going on or why the delay and why they cannot give a straight answer.

Maybe DT would like to share!!??

I am still holding the order active since I'm not in a major hurry, but the service is definetely not good right now and if it continues or if I get another delay I won't be back. There ARE other DW bikes out there.

·
Spooooon!
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A while back, Greg was answering emails and the phone. He was always great to work with. I haven't talked with him in a while, Did he move on?

·
Registered
9,253 Posts
I heard they had some email problems and were shifting servers or something equally boring, though legit. Maybe call them.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have always had better luck calling them. It is too easy for emails to get lost in the mix when they probably get like 500 a day. I wouldn't leave a message either if you get voice mail, just wait a little bit and call back. Most of the people answering the phone can usually help with your question. It is a small company...keep that in mind.

·
Registered
7,605 Posts
Call. 50-50 chance of talking to DT himself. As stated above, I suspect they are awash in a daily barrage of emails in this day and age, and it's undoubtedly tough to sort the wheat from the chaff.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I've emailed twice and never got a response. Once through the website then another directly to Greg.
And now a buddy of mine whom I told him about Turners has been waiting 2wks over the eta of a new sultan. Not sure what's going on but I highly praised turner for their CS and now their making me look bad...

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Call them. Their email doesn't really work. It bounces back.
I've had no probs calling them. I usually just select to talk to sales, and if I need to talk to Greg in warranty I have sales connect me. Leaving messages doesn't seem to work that well. They're a small co.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My LBS has been calling them and I guess there is some kind of shortage on parts or something, but they can never get a clear message from Turner on what is going on. The continued delay on a frame is irritating, a month delay now... maybe they are getting too big with all the DW hype.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I had my DW flux crack (early version without gusset) - and it was eventually replaced/repaired for which I'm grateful. But communication and wait was much longer than before. A lot of my emails went unanswered. Greg was polite, apologetic and helpful when he eventually replied.

Communication was also not great with the UK importer (Silverfish).

I thought hard about posting this as I've always kept my communication about my issues out of the forums, but I didn't feel great about the lack of responses.

That said, they are still in a different league, small and always deliver the goods when compared to their peers. As for ringing them, not always practical if you want to send pics and things, plus time differences etc. It's difficult running a company like they do, build high quality frames, make a profit, compete and keep CS a high priority. We have to cut some slack sometimes.

PS Dave, I will always pay a bit more for the frame if customer service is to be maintained.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's interesting to see I wasn't the only one affected by this during my frame repair. Throughout, I made sure to somewhat keep a distance, thinking they were just insanely busy and needed to focus on Sea Otter and other stuff, but in the end, perhaps I should have stuck up for myself a bit more.

A bit of a warning sign was sending an email basically begging Turner to pay because Greg was not responding.

Some parts of mine were lost, and then sent in a second package internationally, at great expense to their company.

The frame wasn't checked when it was sent, and the resolution was then left to Greg, who appeared to abandon his responsibility to fix the problems he created in the first place. After some waiting, Turner took care of it himself, after I somewhat sternly demanded someone do something, not waiting for Greg to email me, which he wasn't doing, losing more weekends along the way.

In the end, Turner took care of it personally, and I really regard him much of a victim in this as I was, and it cost him a lot of money to fix their internal mistakes. The frame is fine, in the end, not happy about the ding that was in the downtube (not sure if it's in the tubing, but could be in the PC) that was hidden with a sticker placed right over it. Looks like the heat expanded the bubble, which caused the sticker to peel. I didn't bother bringing it up and nitpicking because I did enough of that along the way and there's not much that could be done at this point.

Lots of this could have been solved through two emails, and even confirmation emails.

I only missed a couple weekends of riding in the prime season, and I'm over it. I think Turner may not even know the extent of the difficulties many are having with Greg, but in my case, he did what the boss should do and resolved it, at great expense, which I feel bad about. However, I do thank him for the repair and the resolution, and I'm sure he won't leave this issue alone, once he learns that things aren't running too smoothly for some. It's only going to cost him money in fixing mistakes and potential sales.

·
Moosehead
1,908 Posts
Wholly_Sprocket said:
FWIW, I hear DT is a bit of an ass to work for/with either as an employee, vender, or shop. He's pretty demanding and focused on the bottom line. Not that it's not good business, but his online persona and dealings with customers is a bit of a smokescreen compared to his business practices.
FWIW, I'm sure Turner will take care of you when you cry for CS on one of your two Turners.

Lucky for you, I hear that DT is even accommodating to customers who happened to hail from the lower gene pools.

·
Registered
9,253 Posts
I think Wholly must actually be referring to Tony Ellsworth, though Tony does not seem to be running EW much anymore, leaving it to his shady brother-in-law who owned Beyond Bikes. They are going downhill fast...two local dealers are dropping them next year. Good opportunity for me to pass on these tidbits of news, I suppose. :)

·
Registered
9,253 Posts
I'll change whatever the fvck I want, though I was just using the opp to update the Turner forum. I'm sure you know DT and Turner so well. EW has around a 50%-75% turnover EVERY year for the last few. While you're pretending to be so well-informed, please tell us what you know about this or other internal turmoil at Turner.

Wholly_Sprocket said:
Don't change the subject.

We all know the saga, but there's two sides to every story. DT is a far more tactical than TE. Doesn't mean that they are not chasing the same pot of gold;)

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
I heard DT outsourced the CS stuff to TrailAdvent - so that accounts for the odd grammar and such.

·
Registered
9,253 Posts
That's fair enough. Stuff like this gives companies an opportunity to tighten things up as well. If I were DT, I'd consider all this feedback. My friends and I have had stellar experiences but I expect that from Turner and companies like Knolly as well. I buy other brands too except for EW and CHUMBA for sure and a few others with consistent breakage or CS issues.

Wholly_Sprocket said:
All I'm saying is that I finally stopped believing everything I read on these forums about top tier service after a few of my own personal experiences and those of close friends. It's not quite as consistent as everyone might think.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Wholly_Sprocket said:
All I'm saying is that I finally stopped believing everything I read on these forums about top tier service after a few of my own personal experiences and those of close friends. It's not quite as consistent as everyone might think.
Yes but it's a consistent as your ever going to get in this industry. That's why it's worth talking about.

Six of us in my immediate vicinity ride Turners, none of us have ever had a bad CS experience, until recently and even that doesn't qualify as bad just not usual Turner.

If there is another brand that is better I would like to know about it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
FWIW, I hear DT is a bit of an ass to work for/with either as an employee, vender, or shop.

...but his online persona and dealings with customers is a bit of a smokescreen compared to his business practices.
You hear...I know otherwise.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts